Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Talking "Assault Rifles" and Hunting argument

So in the past few weeks, I've heard this argument from the gun-grabbers, especially from Gov. Cuomo as he screamed it during a speech to push for more legislation in New York "You don't need "assault rifles" and large clips (because the libs don't know the proper term, magazine) to hunt a deer." and "Why do you need "assault rifles" to hunt?" Well let me address that for you.

Let's just say that we want to play along with the libs and, for the sake of argument, state that the 2nd Amendment WAS, in fact, written with hunting in mind. Okay. So...What hunter, more than any other would employ the use of an "assault weapon" with a high-capacity magazine. How about hunters who are at a constant war with feral pigs to protect their livestock, land, and loved ones from these highly aggressive and destructive pack animals. There have been reports of groups of these animals numbering into the high double-digits. If that hunter is limited to a low-capacity (say 7-rounds for the New Yorkers) magazine, you can bet that once that magazine runs out of bullets that those pigs are probably going to attack. Can you change a magazine fast enough to fend off 100 pigs before they get to you if you have to change it 14 times to kill them all? I doubt it... How about a lone farmer protecting his crops, livestock and loved ones from wolves. This is another highly aggressive, pack hunting animal. Is 7 rounds going to be enough for you to fend off a pack of 12 wolves before they attack you? You better not miss!

These are just a few examples of where a high-capacity MAGAZINE in a semi-automatic "assault rifle" would be employed in the case of hunting. BUT... the 2nd Amendment was never designed with hunting in mind. This is just one argument that you can use, though, when a liberal gun-grabber tells you "You don't need a 30-round "clip" in an "assault rifle" to hunt." Yes I do because you don't know what I hunt! I may not need it to kill a deer, but I could definitely use it if I'm hunting a ferocious, aggressive, pack animal.

By the way, I support the 2nd Amendment in the truest sense that it was written. Having read the Federalist Papers, I know what the framers of the Constitution had in mind when they wrote the Bill of Rights. The first task when trying to take over a populous is to disarm it. They will never take away my guns, regardless of what they "feel" that firearm was designed for. It is there to protect me and my family from threats of criminals and a tyrannical government.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: "Assault Rifles" and Hunting argument

On to of that, the AR platform is the most commonly used firearm for varmint hunting, predator hunting and deer hunting where a semiautomatic is legal. The ability for the rifle to be transformed to a different caliber and it's magazine capacity makes it the ultimate combination for those applications.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Washington County)

This could happen too.

Fortune fingers the fearless

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    This could happen too.

I cant tell you how may times that has happened to me on a deserted road
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/193181-harty.html

Common Sense isnt that common among people

(Cambria County)

What really needs to be done is for People in this state to push legalizing AR-15 Rifles for hunting. I don't care if they make it leagal to use for hunting with even a 4rd mag. At least make legal to use. As rovert97 said the AR has to be The most popular hunting rifle for varmints, hos and deer there is. It's time we change our states law's.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

They basically want people like you and me to poorly describe the right to bear arms so they can interpret us as terrorists or mentally ill. It seems to me that people who focus on the hunting issue are fearful of the above. Just an educated opinion...
    ...and they have a plan...

(Beaver County)

People who focus on hunting when referring to the 2nd Amendment are just showing how uneducated they are. They'll preach about their rights and what they're "entitled to" and say things like "free healthcare is my right" or "free birth control is my right" or "it's my right to marry whatever gender I want" but I don't recall ever seeing any of those "rights" anywhere. The United States Constitution explicitly states that our right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The federalist papers state that that right was given to the people to protect from a tyrannical government, whether it be ours or of another country. end o story!

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by harty View Post
    I cant tell you how may times that has happened to me on a deserted road
    "Don't stop! Keep driving!"

"Why?"

"Because the Bucks stop here!"

(Or at least it used to!)
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

They always say "Of course we respect the 2nd amendment, but you don't need an assault rifle to hunt" ...

hmmm ... I missed the part of the 2nd amendment that states we have the right to hunt deer. The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting, yet they always try to use that argument.

(Monroe County)

The second amendment nothing to do with hunting. This thread as I see it is a way to counter an antis question with answers as why we would need a AR if they are no good for hunting, when if fact we all know they are.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast