Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default M&P 40 Magazine getting release in holster

Over the past week, I have noticed that everytime I go to take my pants off, that the magazine on my M&P 40 has been released and is just sitting in the mag well waiting for gravity to take over. I did originally have the mag release on the right hand side of the gun that way I figured the holster would not release it. It kept releasing this way, so I changed it over to the left side. It seems that every time I sit down in my truck that its releasing somehow. I have owned this holster for about 2 years now and never had this problem. Its a cross breed supertuck. I have owned the gun for over 5 years and never this problem. Any suggestions guys. Do you think its a fault with the gun or should I try a different holster. I would hate to as I love the super tuck. This is quite a scary situation. Imagine going for the gun and the mag falls out, or I'm in public somewhere and the magazine would fall out on the floor.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: M&P 40 Magazine getting release in holster

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Over the past week, I have noticed that everytime I go to take my pants off, that the magazine on my M&P 40 has been released and is just sitting in the mag well waiting for gravity to take over. I did originally have the mag release on the right hand side of the gun that way I figured the holster would not release it. It kept releasing this way, so I changed it over to the left side. It seems that every time I sit down in my truck that its releasing somehow. I have owned this holster for about 2 years now and never had this problem. Its a cross breed supertuck. I have owned the gun for over 5 years and never this problem. Any suggestions guys. Do you think its a fault with the gun or should I try a different holster. I would hate to as I love the super tuck. This is quite a scary situation. Imagine going for the gun and the mag falls out, or I'm in public somewhere and the magazine would fall out on the floor.
    Does your Supertuck have the combat cut?
    If not, you can trim the leather in a curve above the rear steel clip and blend the cut into the leather at the top of the backing pad, cutting enough to clear the mag release button on your pistol. Had the same issue with my G23, did a trim and it cured my problem. I have an extended mag release button installed so I thought that was my problem, but clearing the leather from covering the mag release button did the trick. When you bought your ST, there was an option for a "Combat Cut" but they don't explain it very well. Having them do it at the factory is cleaner, but I'm a "form follows function" guy, so I don't care what it looks like as long as it works.

If you do the cut yourself, I would start with a new utility blade and score it gently to make a smooth curve to follow for subsequent deeper cuts. take your time, it is easy. I did more of a straight cut toward the kydex then vertical to the leather. more of a notch on mine.
    Last edited by VooDoo1VooDoo1; January 16th, 2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: info

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    Does your Supertuck have the combat cut?
    If not, you can trim the leather in a curve above the rear steel clip and blend the cut into the leather at the top of the backing pad, cutting enough to clear the mag release button on your pistol. Had the same issue with my G23, did a trim and it cured my problem. I have an extended mag release button installed so I thought that was my problem, but clearing the leather from covering the mag release button did the trick. When you bought your ST, there was an option for a "Combat Cut" but they don't explain it very well. Having them do it at the factory is cleaner, but I'm a "form follows function" guy, so I don't care what it looks like as long as it works.

If you do the cut yourself, I would start with a new utility blade and score it gently to make a smooth curve to follow for subsequent deeper cuts. take your time, it is easy. I did more of a straight cut toward the kydex then vertical to the leather. more of a notch on mine.
    Yes I opted out for the combat cut at the time of purchase but have already did it myself. Although I didn't trim down far enough to uncover the mag release. I just trimmed enough so that my thumb could clear the leather in order to get good purchase on the gun when drawing. I will consider trying this option when I get home. So far the mag hasn't released at work. Every time I get up from my chair I feel for a gap and nothing has happened. I believe it it releasing when I sitting in the truck for some reason.

(Monroe County)

I remember there being a fix for this from Crossbred, search for more and better info.

Basically you wet the area by your mag release and compress the leather in that area. Forms a recessed pocket for your release latch.

Also your release might be 'hypersensitive' meaning it's releasing with less pressure then designed. Have you checked the S&W forums for this problem?
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(York County)

thanks for the suggestions. I tried the water trick and so far it seems to be working. This is not before I had a mag release and fall out in a strangers car. I had someone come by that was looking at trading my truck for their car. I sat in the drivers seat of their car and was checking it out. I got out and went inside and they went to leave. All of a sudden my phone rang and it was the guy. He said, I think theirs something here that you may want to get. Immediately I knew what it was. I apologized and explained that I carry it with me at all times and that I was having issues with it popping out. Even though he seemed to accept it, it was quite embarrassing. He never did come back with the cash to buy my truck. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.