Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Colt 1991 Failiure to extract

I have a new-to-me Colt 1991 3.5" barrel - It has an added full length guide rod with a flat sping (EGW guide rod). Other than that, it's bone stock.

I have found that it will first the first round and chamber the second, however from that point on it will jam up.

The jam consists of the gun not fully extracting the spent round, rather it pulls the case about half way out and the slide then hits the back of the next round pushing it into the feed ramp and obviously jams.

The last round in the magazine is fully extracted but not ejected, it simply drops the spent case perfectly back on top of the magazine.

I've taken it to a gun smith who tuned the extractor and cut the claw a bit deeper. It does cycle dummy rounds O.K. by hand.

I was thinking that perhaps the spring is to heavy and the slide isn't going back far enough to engaget he ejector, or the gun has a bad ejector.

Any thoughts before I go dumping more money into the gun smith or parts?

Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: Colt 1991 Failiure to extract

Few things to try first:

1. Micro 1911's need a rock solid grip. Either change your grip, or have another shooter try the pistol and see if they have the same issue.

2. Check the barrel chamber for any type of machine marks or rough surfaces. This can be done by visual inspection.

3. Try a different magazine.

4. Last resort is to change the recoil spring, as it may not be the right weight or be worn out.
    gotta love her ;)

(Dauphin County)

Gold Cup -
    1-Grip shouldn't be an issue, I have hougue wrap around grips on it now, and keep a pretty firm grip while shooting.
    2- Chamber looks good
    3- Tried 2 different mags, although both were Chip McCormick
    4- Thought about this, but since it locks back on the last round I figure this might be out. Also it's an EGW guide rod and their offices model flat spring.

It's back to the gun smith, Classic Firearms in Camphill. I'll give him one more shot at it. He plans on replacing the extractor, which I could have and perhaps should have just done myself.

(Dauphin County)

Gold Cup -
    1-Grip shouldn't be an issue, I have hougue wrap around grips on it now, and keep a pretty firm grip while shooting.
    2- Chamber looks good
    3- Tried 2 different mags, although both were Chip McCormick
    4- Thought about this, but since it locks back on the last round I figure this might be out. Also it's an EGW guide rod and their offices model flat spring.

It's back to the gun smith, Classic Firearms in Camphill. I'll give him one more shot at it. He plans on replacing the extractor, which I could have and perhaps should have just done myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lawrence County)

Looks like weak extractor to me.

Lycanbeentherethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Adams County)

i have played with 1911's for many years. built a few out of a big box of gi parts. i can say if jmb did not put it in the gun it don't need it. try it without the guide rod i have never had any luck eith them.

(Centre County)

You can bend the contour of the extractor. You can also polish the lip where the extractor rides over the cartridge rim. This is a common issue and the common solutions. Good luck.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like the extractor needs to be tensioned so that it holds the case to hit the extractor....also the firing pin stop may need to fit tighter in the slide so the extractor does not twist and move causing inconsistent extraction. The extractor must hold the case until the case hits the ejector. Also, recoil springs on these short slide guns should be changed every 500-800 rounds for optimum cycling.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks to all those who replied with their thoughts. Last week my order from Brownells arrived - a Wilson Heavy duty extractor PN - 965-101-080WB.

Sunday I was able to throw it in. No doubt that the new extractor held a live round much better than the original. I went back and forth a few time to examine the difference, it was night and day. I'm very pleased how the Wilson extractor fit - Like a glove. It's got significant more meat on it than the original colt extractor. I was expecting to have to do some fitting, but none was necessary.

Last night I was able to get out to the range and the gun ran flawlessly. My only complaint would be that the gun throws brass all over the place. Most of my autos will drop brass in at least a general location, this thing has them spread out in front, behind and to the side of me. Perhaps I can do some tuning to get it a bit more repeatable.

Either way it worked. Now if I could just find some ammo or at least bullets to reload??

(Dauphin County)

Edited - Duplicated posts some how? Interwebs double tap
    Last edited by rowdus90; February 13th, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast