Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Mosin Nagant - Cracked stock

Go to BuyMilSurp.com I just picked up a very good stock for $15 was $22 with shipping.
    DEEDS NOT WORDS..GFY!!

Quote Originally Posted by tuxie555 View Post
    So I just picked up a 91/30 Mosin a few weeks ago. Finally got all the cosmoline off and I realize the stock is cracked behind the recoil lug and near the rear action mounting screw.

I cleaned and decreased as best as I could and glued it up with Titebond II and clamped it overnight.

It seems okay, but I'm reading mixed things on keeping it from cracking again.

I've seen websites saying to use an epoxy to bed the action, using aluminum pilars on the mounting screws, shimming the recoil lug, and going as far as installing brass screws or pins across the stock.

What's everyones thoughts?

Don't worry, I cleaned it a lot more before gluing.

For what they are I doubt the cost of the above work would be worth it. I have several Mosins. Regardless of what I do to them they will never be tack drivers.

My opinion is bedding, aluminum pillars, shimming, etc... would make a $120 Mosin worth about $120. You may see some improvement but if new barrels are available that may be a better course of action.

(Beaver County)

Well to post an update...

I finally got back to the range after gluing and clamping the stock. When I was done it looked solid.

After only 5 rounds, the crack opened back up to it's original dimensions and I shot about a 10" group at 25 yards! <gasp>

I'd be better off with a handgun! lol

Granted, it was the first time I shot it. I'm going to take it to the range again as it and put some more downrange and see what happens.

I'm not after a sniper rifle here, just something fun and cheap to plink with.

(Bucks County)

^^eek i was shooting tight groups out to a 100 easy first time out with mine...they say they are hit or miss hopefully for you it was shooter error first time out

If durability is the end result just get an ATI nylon stock and bed for accuracy. Proper bedding would probably correct the problem anyway because your filling the entire recoil area with bedding epoxy. I ,personally , would go with the ATI stock,and be done with it. Accuracy is never going to be as good as a Mauser or Remington, Savage, Winchester, etc.

(Pike County)

AIM Surplus has Mosin Nagant stocks for sale at $20 a piece: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=X9130Set

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12