Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Model 1903 "Springfield" 56k unfriendly

I just realized that I haven't posted any pictures of my 1903. Without further adieu, here she is...

Trigger Stamp:

Magazine Cutoff Stamp:

Number on Sear:

Number on Buttplate:

Stock Number 1:

Stock Number 2:

Lower Barrel Retainer Spring and Lower Barrel Band Stamps:

Upper Barrel Band and Front Sight Stamps:

Very Faint Stock Cartouche:

Stock Proof:

Magazine Well Stamp:

Barrel Proof:

Receiver Stamps:

Mike

Default Re: Model 1903 "Springfield" 56k unfriendly

That's a beauty! I had the chance to buy a Remington but the guy wanted way too much money for how beat it was. Just wanted the cousin to my Springfield. They're great guns.

(Lehigh County)

Beautiful 03 you got there.

(York County)

very nice!
    you're very fortunate to have that...
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Lebanon County)

i just love how uncle sam overhauled these....then stored them away for us.
    it's almost like having a brand new...60 year gun....
    nice piece, have 4 myself. i find them pretty enjoyable to shoot.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Dauphin County)

Very nice...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    i just love how uncle sam overhauled these....then stored them away for us.
    it's almost like having a brand new...60 year gun....
    nice piece, have 4 myself. i find them pretty enjoyable to shoot.

Actually, this piece wasn't overhauled. The barrel and receiver look to be original to each other and with all of the parts that I can see being Remington "R" stamped I wouldn't be surprised that this is an original, complete rifle. If I knew the guy I bought it from I could try to get more of the history of it. What I do know is that he bought it in 1952 and sold it to me 56 years later.

From the research that I have done, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like this 03 was caught in the changeover from the 03 to the 03A3. Any serious 03 collectors out there want to help me out? It would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

(Pike County)

id have too agree ,,that is a very nice rifle,,,

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercinarysniper View Post
    Actually, this piece wasn't overhauled.

From the research that I have done, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like this 03 was caught in the changeover from the 03 to the 03A3. Any serious 03 collectors out there want to help me out? It would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
    it was overhauled. the bolt should be blued, not parked. and the stock has been sanded and refinished, otherwise the cartouches would not be so faint.

it's what is some times reffered to as a 1903(modified). compared to an earlier '03, your's is full of short cuts. the most noticible being the lack of lightening grooves on the rear sight base. the rough finish originally found on it would be another, the sanding it recieved when overhauled kinda smoothes them out.

it's not to uncommon to find late rifles in super condition like this. i have two a3's in simular condition, one was unfired since it's over haul.
    a bunch were made prior and during ww2, but most did not see hard service and all were overhauled after teh war, then stored. many were then sold through the nra and cmp(or what would become the cmp) in the '50s and '60's.
    one of mine came with the reciept from the govy. the guy bought it in 50's(don't recall the date with out looking). it shipped form up state ny and was sold through letterkenny.
    Last edited by brian; March 26th, 2008 at 08:04 AM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    it was overhauled.
    I agree.

World War II saw new production of the Springfield at private manufacturers Remington Arms and Smith-Corona Typewriter. Remington began production of the M1903 in September of 1941, at serial number 3,000,000, using old tooling from the Rock Island Arsenal which had been in storage since 1919. The very early rifles are almost indistinguishable from 1919-made Rock Island rifles. As the already worn tooling began to wear beyond use Remington began seeking Army approval for a continuously increasing number of changes and simplifications to both speed up manufacture and improve performance. The milled parts on the Remington M1903 were gradually replaced with stamped parts until, at about serial number 3,330,000, the Army and Remington recognized that a new model name was appropriate. Other features of the M1903, such as high-grade walnut stocks with finger grooves, were replaced with less expensive but serviceable substitutes. Most parts made by Remington, stamped or milled, were marked with an "R". The M1903 became the M1903/A3. The most noticeable visual difference in the M1903/A3 was the replacement of the barrel-mounted rear sight with a smaller, simpler "peep" rear sight mounted on the rear of the receiver. All stock furniture was stamped metal. In early 1942 Smith/Corona Typewriter Company also began production of the M1903/A3 at its plant in Rochester, NY. Smith/Corona parts are usually identified by the absence of markings (Smith/Corona bolts are sometimes marked with an "X" on top of the bolt handle root). Original production rifles at Remington and Smith/Corona had a dark gray/black finish similar to the Parkerizing of late WW1. Beginning in late 1943 a lighter gray/green Parkerizing finish was used. This later finish was also used on arsenal repaired weapons. It is somewhat unusual to find a WW1 or early WW2 M1903 with its original dated barrel. Much, if not all, WW2 .30-06 ammunition used a corrosive primer which left corrosive salts in the barrel. If not removed by frequent and proper barrel cleaning these residues could cause pitting and excessive wear. In the jungle fighting on various Pacific islands cleaning was sometimes lax and the excessive moisture compounded the corrosive action of the residue.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1903_Springfield_rifle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast