Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Businesses that post...How we rolled in Ohio

The BW3 thread has stirred some emotions from a far away land. (BW3's posted in Ohio, too).

In Ohio, where NG signs actually mean something and have legal teeth, in PA, it's a grey area.

But here is my 2 cents worth.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry had "No Gun, No Money" cards printed up. We generally passed them out to the business owner of an establishment that posted.

Sometimes we would have a dialog, sometimes not.

Or perhaps we would give them a call, and handle things that way. Other times we would shop a competitor that DIDN'T post, and mail the receipt to the offending establishment explaining WHY we went elsewhere.

Over a 4 year period, I had talked 11 businesses into removing their signs, mostly small ones that i could speak to the owners directly. However, as a whole we DID manage to talk United Dairy Farmers into taking down their signs statewide...that was a huge victory!

In PA, it's hard to get my feathers too ruffled. Cinemark Theaters posts, BW3 are the only 2 I know about here. But, I just ignor them.

Carry On.
    NRA Life Member

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Businesses that post...How we rolled in Ohio

I think many people here have been doing that for about 6 years or so, and gnbrotz comes to mind as an example.

Problem is, there are almost no "No Gun" signs in PA. I've seen two. One at the Post Office, and one at Lab Corp. I open carry 100% of the time and I've never been asked to leave anywhere. So I'm not sure what I would do with the cards. Drop them off at the Post Office? They don't care

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksnack View Post
    The BW3 thread has stirred some emotions from a far away land. (BW3's posted in Ohio, too).

In Ohio, where NG signs actually mean something and have legal teeth, in PA, it's a grey area.

But here is my 2 cents worth.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry had "No Gun, No Money" cards printed up. We generally passed them out to the business owner of an establishment that posted.

Sometimes we would have a dialog, sometimes not.

Or perhaps we would give them a call, and handle things that way. Other times we would shop a competitor that DIDN'T post, and mail the receipt to the offending establishment explaining WHY we went elsewhere.

Over a 4 year period, I had talked 11 businesses into removing their signs, mostly small ones that i could speak to the owners directly. However, as a whole we DID manage to talk United Dairy Farmers into taking down their signs statewide...that was a huge victory!

In PA, it's hard to get my feathers too ruffled. Cinemark Theaters posts, BW3 are the only 2 I know about here. But, I just ignor them.

Carry On.

Very good work getting the signs removed in Ohio. It's grass roots efforts like this that will keep our firearm rights from being trampled.

However, I cannot applaud you for knowing a private property owner has posted no weapons signs and you actively ignore it. As much as I want my right to bear arms respected I give that same respect back in the form of their property rights.

Does it not seem to you that you are being hypocritical by fighting for others to respect your rights while you actively disrespect theirs?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    Very good work getting the signs removed in Ohio. It's grass roots efforts like this that will keep our firearm rights from being trampled.

However, I cannot applaud you for knowing a private property owner has posted no weapons signs and you actively ignore it. As much as I want my right to bear arms respected I give that same respect back in the form of their property rights.

Does it not seem to you that you are being hypocritical by fighting for others to respect your rights while you actively disrespect theirs?
    You bring up a valid point ByAnyMeans. However it is my personal opinion that my right to defend myself supersedes a landowners request to not have weapons on that property. But if I can avoid being on the property I will do so and in that I would be respecting his wishes.

(Northampton County)

I know some people are going to disagree with me, but I feel differently about a person or business that personally invites me to their property under specified conditions than I do a dollar store with a door open to the public and a crackhead beating off to a can of tomatoes in the back corner.

"No people with toenails not trimmed in the last 48 hours allowed on premises"

Um, I probably won't go in your store, but if I had to I would't worry about my toenails.

My gun is the same. As I have said, there really aren't any places in PA that ban guns. Lab Corp, and I hear Wild Wings. I'm sure there are other things here or there, but it's just not something people run into or have to deal with hear in the East.

(York County)

The only no guns sign i have seen was at the Fedex sort facility. It was ironic that i was dropping of a gun getting shipped back to the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Lee-online; January 21st, 2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: fat fingered gun to bun but now back to gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    The only no guns sign i have seen was at the Fedex sort facility. It was ironic that i was dropping of a bun getting shipped back to the manufacturer.

LOL Was it a loaded bun?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post

I ignore them because they carry very little weight (if any) in PA . And I have seen very few. If there were more, I would give it consideration.

Frankly, I see it as a suggestion that I choose not to follow. It is a public location, I am the public, and I carry a firearm.
    NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Businesses that post...How we rolled in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I think many people here have been doing that for about 6 years or so, and gnbrotz comes to mind as an example.

Problem is, there are almost no "No Gun" signs in PA. I've seen two. One at the Post Office, and one at Lab Corp. I open carry 100% of the time and I've never been asked to leave anywhere. So I'm not sure what I would do with the cards. Drop them off at the Post Office? They don't care
    They do care. With enough pressure, they will listen.

(PS, hand it to them in person.)
    Last edited by jacksnack; January 21st, 2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: addition
    NRA Life Member

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksnack View Post
    They do care. With enough pressure, they will listen.

(PS, hand it to them in person.)
    The Post Office will care? That's what I said.

There are almost no businesses with No Guns signs in PA. It's a dead issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast