Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Fingerprinting for Florida License???

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    I've had this issue myself, however there are two places that may be able to help you.

Philadelphia Firearms Training offers services for the Florida and Utah LTCF including photos and fingerprinting.

http://www.phillyguntraining.com/

Gun for Hire is another source for this service:

http://www.gunforhire.com/

Has to be done by LEA...and I believe it was mentioned on here previously that it had to be an ON DUTY LEO...not an LEO doing it on the side.

(Philadelphia County)

Did a class at double action. Gave you two things at once, proof of a training class and fingerprinting.
    "No, I am not a great shot, but I shoot often" - Teddy Roosevelt

(Allegheny County)

Tried to get mine done at Avondale station as I did my Arizona ones there with no issues and the guy even said it was odd, he was USED TO DOING FLORIDA prints...so something changed, I never did hear back from them as they 'promised' as to their official policy on who they would do or not do..

I did my FL ones at the Chester County Sheriff's office for a nominal fee, something like $10 or something, check, no cash/credit card etc. And very easy check-in procedure for firearms (Lockers are in small room to the right as you walk in, just check with security peeps, drop off, take key, do your business)

I got mine done for Florida at Bethesda Naval Hospital Military Police.

CL

Quote Originally Posted by inrem View Post
    Florida (unlike Utah) only takes LEO prints with the department number written on the fingerprint card.

The University of Pennsylvania actually has its own legal and empowered police force. As of last year, they are happy to take prints for a nominal fee (something like $10) even if you have no connection whatsoever with the University. The experience was nothing like getting fingerprinted by the Philly PD.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ts-philly.html

Other Philly area options: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...rint-card.html

Thanks. That's pretty awesome they have their own PD and will do prints.

So will FL reject prints taken by the personal defense shooting class?

(Philadelphia County)

FL law as I understand it, requires department prints. Of course, there is no way of you or Florida to really tell whether the LEO taking the prints off-site was authorized to do so by his department or not. He/she may very well have a pro-2nd Amendment Sheriff/boss (re: supporting assisting the public and getting happy local citizens/voters by helping take prints during last few minutes of a self defense class).

I too was surprised that U.Penn had a "real" stand-alone police department and not rent-a-cops or something as part of the Philly PD. The officer taking my prints about a year ago was very nice and even offered to do extra print cards for the same price ($10 cash to the department was a flat fee).

Wherever you get it done, write in the address of the fingerprinting PD on the back upper portion of the card (even if it is already written in on the front of the card), or the print card very likely WILL be rejected by Florida.

Utah and Arizona do not require LEO prints, making things easier. I have all three. Utah is no longer a stand-alone for PA residents though (when you get or renew a Utah, you will have to have a PA). Stand-alone permits are much better if you live in Philly, as the Philly PD is known to revoke for insane/illegal reasons (i.e. as stated on a sign in the Gun Permit Unit, they will auto-revoke if a gun is stolen from your car).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thaghost87 View Post
    Ok so I know fingerprints are needed for the application process but where to get the fingerprints? I am being told the PPD will not fingerprint you for a FL license and I called two different state police locations and they won't do it either. Anyone have a FL... where did you obtain your fingerprints?
    I went to the Bensalem Police Dept .. If I remember right it cost 20.00 .. Contact them .. They do it certain hours on certain days ...

Brian

FL law as I understand it, requires department prints. Of course, there is no way of you or Florida to really tell whether the LEO taking the prints off-site was authorized to do so by his department or not. He/she may very well have a pro-2nd Amendment Sheriff/boss (re: supporting assisting the public and getting happy local citizens/voters by helping take prints during last few minutes of a self defense class).

I too was surprised that U.Penn had a "real" stand-alone police department and not rent-a-cops or something as part of the Philly PD. The officer taking my prints about a year ago was very nice and even offered to do extra print cards for the same price ($10 cash to the department was a flat fee).

Wherever you get it done, write in the address of the fingerprinting PD on the back upper portion of the card (even if it is already written in on the front of the card), or the print card very likely WILL be rejected by Florida.

Utah and Arizona do not require LEO prints, making things easier. I have all three. Utah is no longer a stand-alone for PA residents though (when you get or renew a Utah, you will have to have a PA). Stand-alone permits are much better if you live in Philly, as the Philly PD is known to revoke for insane/illegal reasons (i.e. as stated on a sign in the Gun Permit Unit, they will auto-revoke if a gun is stolen from your car).
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to take the class since i need it anyway, and then ask then about the fingerprints they take and if they would be accepted. Might just get the UPenn prints to be on the safe side, hopefully their rules haven't changed since the time you received yours.

(Delaware County)

U of P police, Temple, Drexel, SEPTA, all real police with the ability to do car stops for traffic too. PA calls them a "private police force".

As for the OP, I too had trouble for my Utah permit prints, I went to the Chester County Sheriff in West Chester, as mentioned check or money order, no cash accepted.

Keep in mind, FL requires prints each time you renew as well. You might want to look into a Utah class, renewals are only $15 compared to FL over $100 and only printed once.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Raystown View Post
    I went to the Bensalem Police Dept .. If I remember right it cost 20.00 .. Contact them .. They do it certain hours on certain days ...

Brian

$20 to do prints? Sounds kind of high.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast