Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Electronic ear protection

I'm looking for a recomendation on a pair of electronic ear pro. I like the idea of being able to hear voices but muffle gun shots.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Electronic ear protection

I'm interested in this as well, does anyone use the new in the ear electronics?

I have three different sets. None are placed in the ear or ear canal. Those puppies are expensive.

However, spending $100 on good hearing protection is not a bad thing. I don't recall the make or model of my electronic muffs. I started out with a pair from Midway USA as part of a reloading order. Those are now the wife's and neither she or I had any problem with them.

My next two pairs were of higher quality, slimmer, and more comportable to wear.

Depending on what kind of shooting I'm doing, I'll skip the electric muffs and go with regular ear plus. I also wear the electronic ear muffs while running chainsaws, lawn mower's, heavy equipment, saws, and nascar races. They can't replace hearing yet and after a few RPG's, rockets, and mortars, my hearing has decreased significantly so I don't want to damage my hearing anymore.

I like Howard Leight products. I have the regular foam in Red, white, and blue (Super Leights, corded) and a pair of the Impact Sports models.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2

Enjoy,

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; January 15th, 2013 at 10:10 AM.

(Mercer County)

IMHO Pro-Ears P300 Predator Gold Electronic Earmuffs are best on the market.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

I've been thinking of picking up a pair myself, but I would definitely still keep a pair of old fashioned ear plugs in as well. I always double up now since my right ear has some damage to it already.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Butler County)

Myself and 2i others i know have the Caldwell brand electronic ear muffs from dicks or dunhams. We got them to try before spending a lot of money on a set and they work great. I've used them for about a year now with no complaints

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

I found the Howard Leight Impact Sports to be comfortable and reasonably priced.

(Bucks County)

I mostly use the Howardlight ones too, but have bought and use the $20 ones (Guide Gear), from Sportsman's Guide... they are not the best quality... But I have bought several pairs and use them regularly... Last year they changed the design slightly making them a little smaller and (to me), more comfortable, the down side is that they do "feedback" sometimes (usually if you have the volume turned up too high!), I am a firearms instructor... and find that at the end of a day, I can barely speak from "yelling" at my students.... these do help out.. and I don't have to "Yell" nearly as much.... Well, unless they got it coming!!!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=359175

P.S. the best thing about these is the little red L.E.D. "On" light! I can't tell you how many sets of batteries I have killed on my other phones that have no indicator! Shoot... I am going to buy two more.. cause I keep giving them away to shooters who like the so much!

(Lehigh County)

I have had a pair of the newer impact pro electronic protectors for about 3 months and love them, prior I was using ear plugs and passives. It's strange when you first use them, you hear the gun making some strange noises lol, but I can hear normal converstaion whilst still shooting, can't praise them enough. I will say, they won't be good for rifle as they are thicker than the impact sports, but for pistol, they are fantastic

(Bedford County)

I have a set of Etymotic BlastPLG (now the GSP•1) & I have a mixed thoughts on them.

For the range you'll be better served with a set of electronic earmuffs. They offer great protection, are cheaper, and do a fine job filtering out voices only.

The BlastPLG & other in-ear active hearing Pro, are more expensive (initial purchase & batteries), can be difficult to use correctly (thus getting adequate protection), become uncomfortable overtime, and, if equipped with amplification, it does not allow for localization of the sound. I enjoy having them & use them for hunting, but at the range I stick with my normal earmuffs or a pair of disposable earplugs.

Could answer any questions you have about BlastPLG, but I agree with those above who recommend electronic earmuffs.
    Need Gun. Need Now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast