Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default SS# on form when buying a rifle

It's on the form as optional. I didn't put it down. But, during the phone call he asked me to write it down on a post-it so the lady on the phone can verify my info then he would throw it out.

I obliged and afterwards he ripped it up and tossed it.

I wonder why they still needed it if its optional. What would have happened if I refused.

I know some people get bent out of shape when asked for their SS, escpecially on gun forums when talking about that form. It really doesn't bother me either way, I only left it off because it said optional.

Default Re: SS# on form when buying a rifle

I'm not positive, but I think it is for verification when they call the background check in. I don't think he needs the number, nor does he need to keep a record of it.

Last time I was getting a background check, the volume on the guys phone was way too loud and the automated system was reading it off and i'm pretty sure everyone else in the store could hear it.

I'm beginning to think that protecting your social security number is a lost cause. Even if you don't give it out willingly, they usually have access to it through another system.

I was getting some stuff done for my 401k at my previous employer and my accountant asked me for my social security number over e-mail (unencrypted), and then over AOL IM (also unencrypted). I would think she would know better considering she is an accountant.

(Erie County)

It's just for verification. If you refused I doubt they would make a big deal.

When I bought my P22 for some reason the auto system didn't work so an operater was on the phone with my dealer. He had it on speaker so I heard the whole thing. They said my height, weight, eye color, hair color, basically everything on the book including SSN.

I don't even try to guard my SSN anymore. There's no point in trying it's out there for anyone that wants it. I'm sure there are a couple Keith Coleman Mexican immigrants working at a job with my SSN and name.

(Luzerne County)

It is illegal for them to require it, however they request it in order to make the process easier. It will take them longer, but they can process all the paper work without it. It sounds like your gun dealer was being a bit lazy or in a time crunch.

If applicable, you will notice they also took the SS# off the new concealed weapons permits as well.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Montgomery County)

I had a similar experience while making a purchase at French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, PA I knew it wasn't necessary, but gave it anyway to facilitate the sale. I later did some research and wrote the store manager with the pertinent information. I received a phone call from the store owner, who thanked me for bringing the issue to his attention and that the store would change their policy going forward. I included a hard copy of both the PA court's opinion and relevant case law that I cited with the letter. Below is the letter I wrote.

French Creek Outfitters
    270 Schuylkill Rd
    Phoenixville, PA 19460

November 17, 2006

RE: SS# requirement for firearm purchase Springfield XD US .45ACP

Attn: Store Manager

Greetings,

On November 16th, 2006 I purchased the new Springfield XD 45acp. Before purchasing, I was instructed to complete several forms in order to facilitate the purchase. I did not include my social security number on the forms and was told by your sales representative that social security numbers were only optional on the Federal form and I was instructed to add my social security number because it was legally required and by not doing so, I would not be able to purchase the firearm. I complied with the salesperson’s request to complete the purchase and I received the firearm.

Enclosed you will find a copy of a recent Civil Action and consequent Memorandum and Order, that clearly invalidates the social security requirement. The same can be found at: http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documen...s/06D0225P.pdf for your personal verification.

As an avid collector and member of the Pennsylvania Firearms Owner Association I have made and will continue to make several firearm purchases going forward. And, as an avid consumer and considering the prevalence of identity theft, I can only express my concern that your store has not complied with the new regulations. Failure for non-compliance may expose your store and or its employees to future liabilities should any legal action be brought against you.
    I do have concerns that my social security number now resides in your purchase records and request that my social security number be removed, erased or made illegible on any and all forms in the store’s possession. As these records are a potential gold-mine to identity thieves I hope you can empathize with my concern and comply with my request. In fact, all firearm purchasers should be afforded the same consideration as well.

Here is a section of the Federal Privacy Act for your reference.

Section 7 of PL 93-579
    [ the Federal Privacy Act of 1974, 5 USC 552a note]
    Sec. 7 (a)(1) It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual's refusal to disclose his social security account number.
    (2) the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection shall not apply with respect to--
    (A) any disclosure which is required by Federal statute, or
    (B) any disclosure of a social security number to any Federal, State, or local agency maintaining a system of records in existence and operating before January 1, 1975, if such disclosure was required under statute or regulation adopted prior to such date to verify the identity of an individual.
    (b) Any Federal, State or local government agency which requests an individual to disclose his social security account number shall inform that individual whether that disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, by what statutory or other authority such number is solicited, and what uses will be made of it.
    See also a US DOJ overview of case law regarding Section 7 of the Federal Privacy Act at: http://www.usdoj.gov/04foia/1974ssnu.htm

I want to thank you for your diligence in this matter and look forward to both your response and many more consumer visits to your fine store.

Sincerely,

John XXXXX
    President
    XXXXXXXXX, LLC

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    It's just for verification. If you refused I doubt they would make a big deal.

When I bought my P22 for some reason the auto system didn't work so an operater was on the phone with my dealer. He had it on speaker so I heard the whole thing. They said my height, weight, eye color, hair color, basically everything on the book including SSN.

I don't even try to guard my SSN anymore. There's no point in trying it's out there for anyone that wants it. I'm sure there are a couple Keith Coleman Mexican immigrants working at a job with my SSN and name.

I wonder if the Mexicans are working with your SSN and name, that the tax they take out for Social Security is credited to you? Just a thought!!
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by looperrun View Post
    I wonder if the Mexicans are working with your SSN and name, that the tax they take out for Social Security is credited to you? Just a thought!!
    It isn't reflected on my annual earnings statement. Maybe no one is using my number.

(Jefferson County)

Not required, but I provide mine to ease the background search. If I dont I usually get a delay. My name and likeliness has a flag on it because of some other person(s).

I only do business with two FFL dealers, both of which I know away from their professions. ..so I have no problem giving it to them.

(Berks County)

If your last name is relatively uncommon you should be OK and have no delays.

Mine is uncommon and I haven't used my SS# for a gun purchase in years, I have not been denied or delayed yet....knock wood