Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default New Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact firing low and to the left.

I just picked this up Saturday, went to the range earlier today, and even at 15 feet it's grouping about 3-4" away from the center. I tend to hit a little to the left, but this was unusual.

The guy in the lane next to me took notice, and asked to fire a few rounds. At about 7 yards his first shot hit dead center, but the following two were low. He mentioned something about anticipating the recoil.

Things seemed a little better the more comfortable I got with it, but the oddest thing was that I fired DA for the first round of every magazine, and I hit the center of the target every time.

Any opinions on this? I've looked at a few pages and this thing shooting low and to the left seems the norm. User error? Recoil anticipation? Bad factory sighting (I don't think the sights can be adjusted vertically)? Change the grip?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: New Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact firing low and to the left.

It's probably your trigger control. Try wrapping your finger less around the trigger. Worked for me. New pistol, new trigger control.

(Lancaster County)

Usually this is a combination of two things.

1. Low - Usually shot anticipation. Since it is a new gun and a sub-compact, you may be unintentionally causing the gun to nosedive by pushing into the backstrap while anticipating the break. This could also be caused by tightening your grip fingers while pulling the trigger. Try picking up some dummy rounds and loading a few at random into each magazine. When you pull the trigger on a dummy round you will see what you are doing wrong, and hopefully be able to work to correct it. (it is also good malfunction clearance practice.) A firm grip is all you need, you do not need to fight the guns recoil. Your job is simply to hold the sights/gun still until the bullet is gone.

2. Left - Right handers often pull their shots left (and lefties to the right) because they get too much trigger finger in the trigger (i.e. up to the first knuckle). I have also seen shooters that have their trigger finger pad appropriately placed on the trigger but curl their finger at the first knuckle which gives the same effect. To overcome this, make sure you do not have too much trigger finger in the trigger. Draw an imaginary line through through your fingertip from the base (beginning) of the fingernail to the pad. that is where your finger should come in contact with the trigger. When you pull the trigger focus on flattening out your finger from the 2nd knuckle to the tip and bending from that 2nd knuckle. Focus on steady even pressure straight to the rear and you should have it.

Be Safe,
    -nhughesmd

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by theredcircle View Post
    Things seemed a little better the more comfortable I got with it, but the oddest thing was that I fired DA for the first round of every magazine, and I hit the center of the target every time.
    I experienced exactly the same thing with my full size PX4. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is that I did that fixed it, but as I became more experienced with the weapon, I found that it is very accurate. I did put Beretta adjustable sights on it later, but I was shooting pretty well before that.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nhughesmd View Post
    Usually this is a combination of two things.

1. Low - Usually shot anticipation. Since it is a new gun and a sub-compact, you may be unintentionally causing the gun to nosedive by pushing into the backstrap while anticipating the break. This could also be caused by tightening your grip fingers while pulling the trigger. Try picking up some dummy rounds and loading a few at random into each magazine. When you pull the trigger on a dummy round you will see what you are doing wrong, and hopefully be able to work to correct it. (it is also good malfunction clearance practice.) A firm grip is all you need, you do not need to fight the guns recoil. Your job is simply to hold the sights/gun still until the bullet is gone.

2. Left - Right handers often pull their shots left (and lefties to the right) because they get too much trigger finger in the trigger (i.e. up to the first knuckle). I have also seen shooters that have their trigger finger pad appropriately placed on the trigger but curl their finger at the first knuckle which gives the same effect. To overcome this, make sure you do not have too much trigger finger in the trigger. Draw an imaginary line through through your fingertip from the base (beginning) of the fingernail to the pad. that is where your finger should come in contact with the trigger. When you pull the trigger focus on flattening out your finger from the 2nd knuckle to the tip and bending from that 2nd knuckle. Focus on steady even pressure straight to the rear and you should have it.

Be Safe,
    -nhughesmd
    ^^^This. I know my LC9 would have shot beautifully out of the box if not for me. It was/is my only subcompact, and it takes some getting used to when it comes to grip and trigger control. Just run rounds thru it, you'll eventually get used to it and proper technique will become muscle memory. Enjoy!
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Cumberland County)

There have been some posts on this, I posted one a year ago or so. I had the same issues, low and left by a lot. Many posted they had the same issues with this gun because of the design - tough to get good with. I put new sites on it, same issue. Got made and banged out the sites convincing myself I'd use it as a "snag free" gun. Came to my senses, had a gunsmith friend re-install the original sites and dial it in with him shooting it. After that, I was good with it. Not sure what the answer was - me just getting use to it, gunsmith dialing in sites, who knows. It was a very frustrating gun to get use to ! Good luck.

(Berks County)

.40 or 9mm ?

My Px4 Sub is a .40 and is a tack driver , I haven't had any accuracy issues. It fits my hand perfectly it was this reason I chose it over the MP Compact (and i own a MP full size). My Px4 Sub is my EDC. I find it very accurate for a smaller auto... I have had a few comments on the accuracy from folks at the range. DA trigger pull is a little heavy but the SA is just right.

My only issue was it would not feed Hornady Critical Duty .... Don't know why but they would not feed ...period.

No issues with any other defensive load I have tried. I find the Hornady TAP/FD 155gr the most accurate and ballistics are sound even out of the shorter barrel. The other load it likes is the Remmington Golden Saber 165gr.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

Thanks everybody, for the suggestions and comments so far. I'll take this all into consideration next time I go to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    .40 or 9mm ?

My Px4 Sub is a .40 and is a tack driver , I haven't had any accuracy issues. It fits my hand perfectly it was this reason I chose it over the MP Compact (and i own a MP full size). My Px4 Sub is my EDC. I find it very accurate for a smaller auto... I have had a few comments on the accuracy from folks at the range. DA trigger pull is a little heavy but the SA is just right.

My only issue was it would not feed Hornady Critical Duty .... Don't know why but they would not feed ...period.

No issues with any other defensive load I have tried. I find the Hornady TAP/FD 155gr the most accurate and ballistics are sound even out of the shorter barrel. The other load it likes is the Remmington Golden Saber 165gr.
    It's a 9mm, and I tried out a magazine of Critical Duty with no issues. This has always been a concern of mine. I had a couple of magazines for my P95 loaded with Critical Duty, and when I unloaded them before hitting the range this one time, I noticed that the rubber point was causing each round to stick to the front of the magazine well. The back end would pop up while the front either got stuck, or at best slowly rubbed against the magazine on it's way up. And those stock P95 mag springs are ridiculously tight.

I've picked up the habit of tapping magazines against the palm of my hand to push every round to the back. Even with that, I don't trust that ammo at all. I'd rather stick with Federal HST's and Gold Dot for defense.