Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: PA Gun Collector's Assn. 1/19 & 1/20 (Pittsburgh Mills Mall Event Center)

I hope the guy on the commercial aiming the AR down the aisle with his finger on the trigger isn't in attendance.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA Gun Collector's Assn. 1/19 & 1/20 (Pittsburgh Mills Mall Event Center)

So my post got deleted for saying it's ok to do a private sale at this show, hope your not caving as well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    My guess is due to the current political climate the anti-gun forces would just love to have video of someone engaging in the infamous, evil "Gunshow Loophole" just to be able to post it as propaganda.

Actually PGCAs policy is to not have parking lot deals going. It happens anyway I'm sure, but they don't condone it officialy.
    ^^ I understand this but the warning about set ups and cell numbers in cars has me baffled. tom.
    N.R.A LIFE MEMBER GOA annual member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    Well I'm going for the beef jerky, gutter seal, toy helicopters, and candles. Hopefully the prices on those things aren't jacked up.

Also I will be helping to promote CDS Arms which was 50 billet lowers for sale, $200 each.
    Actualy there woln't be any of that crap at the PGCA show. They don't let sort of junk into their show. If you want that garbage try the C&E show in Monroeville.

Alas the reality is prices are going to be high for the forseable future as items are being snapped up. Supply is low and demand is high.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by eddyb74 View Post
    So with all of this being said is it acceptable to bring a rifle for private sale?
    Yes Eddy. Just be carefull who you sell it to. Don't do so outside in the parking lot with some stranger acting like he's tying to buy your item or sell you something in a clandestine manner.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards
    My guess is due to the current political climate the anti-gun forces would just love to have video of someone engaging in the infamous, evil "Gunshow Loophole" just to be able to post it as propaganda.

Actually PGCAs policy is to not have parking lot deals going. It happens anyway I'm sure, but they don't condone it officially.
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy tom View Post
    ^^ I understand this but the warning about set ups and cell numbers in cars has me baffled. tom.

Going back a few years at PGCA shows past, there have been some infrequent "stings" conducted on parking lot buys and handguns that weren't transferred through a dealer. Many years ago now I recall one vendor was arrested at his tables during a PGCA show at the ExpoMart for selling firearms (rifles) without an FFL. He sat handcuffed behind his tables with a lot of LEOs around, stringing "CRIME SCENE ribbon around the vendor's setup. After four to six months, he was back at the ExpoMart, this time with an FFL. I'm still scratching my head on how he got an FFL, and personally I do not buy or purchase from him.

On the other hand, the PGCA officials are pretty parochial about all deals taking place inside. This is to help ensure that they don't get shut down for apparent or perceived illegal activity taking place at their event, but IMO the PGCA powers-that-be want people to bring their guns inside so that PGCA powers that be set up inside the entrance get a crack at purchasing them. The maroon tag that gets zip-tied to for-sale guns is said to be a theft control system and I can understand that, but it's also a maroon flag shouting "I'M FOR SALE" to the vendors at the show.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just sayin'. It's their show, their rules. I pay as I got now, but I used to belong since the early 80s until I asked at an annual meeting in the late 90s where all the $$$ went and didn't get a straight response. One (now deceased) Director came up to me and said that the club "runs in the red," and I literally laughed in his face. I told him that nobody can afford to run in the red for any length of time, and how long has the organization been holding these shows? I asked if he and the other directors chip in out of their own pocket to meet the expense overage? He did an about face without responding.

Water over the dam and under the bridge.

The Take Away: Obey PGCA rules, and obey the law and you'll be fine.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Going back a few years at PGCA shows past, there have been some infrequent "stings" conducted on parking lot buys and handguns that weren't transferred through a dealer. Many years ago now I recall one vendor was arrested at his tables during a PGCA show at the ExpoMart for selling firearms (rifles) without an FFL. He sat handcuffed behind his tables with a lot of LEOs around, stringing "CRIME SCENE ribbon around the vendor's setup. After four to six months, he was back at the ExpoMart, this time with an FFL. I'm still scratching my head on how he got an FFL, and personally I do not buy or purchase from him.

On the other hand, the PGCA officials are pretty parochial about all deals taking place inside. This is to help ensure that they don't get shut down for apparent or perceived illegal activity taking place at their event, but IMO the PGCA powers-that-be want people to bring their guns inside so that PGCA powers that be set up inside the entrance get a crack at purchasing them. The maroon tag that gets zip-tied to for-sale guns is said to be a theft control system and I can understand that, but it's also a maroon flag shouting "I'M FOR SALE" to the vendors at the show.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just sayin'. It's their show, their rules. I pay as I got now, but I used to belong since the early 80s until I asked at an annual meeting in the late 90s where all the $$$ went and didn't get a straight response. One (now deceased) Director came up to me and said that the club "runs in the red," and I literally laughed in his face. I told him that nobody can afford to run in the red for any length of time, and how long has the organization been holding these shows? I asked if he and the other directors chip in out of their own pocket to meet the expense overage? He did an about face without responding.

Water over the dam and under the bridge.

The Take Away: Obey PGCA rules, and obey the law and you'll be fine.

Noah
    Noah:

As for the vendor you mentioned: I know the backstory on that. It's long and a bit complicated. I'll post the details if any one wants me to later when I have more time. Suffice it to say he got VERY lucky due to a senior ATF official being a stand-up guy and on our side.

As for the 90s directors of PGCA: there was a coup a few years ago and those people who drained the coffers of that organization and ran it as their own private fiefdom were ousted. Things were getting pretty dicey there for a while. I was involved with the reform movement for PGCA in the 90s and saw first hand the dirty politics involved in protecting the old gang. The organization is getting back on track now but it has a long road to traval back to health.

(Butler County)

Default Re: PA Gun Collector's Assn. 1/19 & 1/20 (Pittsburgh Mills Mall Event Center) (125 Pi

Noah is on target he has a handle on what shows are about.
    a vender spends hundred's of dollars to set up. that being said their sale's tactics run the gamut from friendly, honest, to THIS AINT NO FLEA MARKET AND DON'T ASK I WONT TAKE NO LESS THAN A FORTUNE ( this dealer wined about poor sales and how very few people stopped at his table) I use the "treat people as i would want to be treated" , some items i can deal on, trade for buy from you ( CASH ALWAYS ON HAND and CASH TALKS) Customers must under stand ( AND I HAVE BEEN ASKED ) that i do not take 3rd party checks,
    dicks gift cards or plastic . 95% of dealers are great 90% of customers are great. All this being said some dealers will be missing asked to not set up by pgca for improper or deceptive dealings . ASK AROUND, Have patience, ONCE AGAIN a little advice DO NOT DEAL FOR GRANNIES SINGLE ACTION COLT $ 200 IN THE PARKING LOT .
    ENJOY THE SHOW

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Going back a few years at PGCA shows past, there have been some infrequent "stings" conducted on parking lot buys and handguns that weren't transferred through a dealer. Many years ago now I recall one vendor was arrested at his tables during a PGCA show at the ExpoMart for selling firearms (rifles) without an FFL. He sat handcuffed behind his tables with a lot of LEOs around, stringing "CRIME SCENE ribbon around the vendor's setup.
    I was always curious about the parking lot stings (I was told they were dealing "machine guns") and the police crime scene tape.

I believe that I will past on this weekends show also. Really not interested in being bumped / run into with the crowds and the panic pricing on ammo.

Thanks,

Hoover

Default Re: PA Gun Collector's Assn. 1/19 & 1/20 (Pittsburgh Mills Mall Event Center) (125 Pi

This show has turned into a joke over the last few years and given the current "market", is going to be a debacle.
    Jules

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast