Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need Some advice...

Ok, right now im working on becmoing an RN. Wherever I end up working I will most likely be wearing scrubs. If any of you work in the medical field you know they probably wont hold up a holster around the waist. They are quite "flimsy" you could say. Also theres a very good chance or close contact with patients such as lifting them. I was thinking aloing the lines of a snubbie in a smart carry holster. But that was just rough brainstorming. Anyone in the medical field or anyone that has a suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Need Some advice...

While I am not a big fan of ankle carry, this may be one of the few options for you. The holsters have come a long way in the last ten years.

Also, I surmise that discovery in that environment could lead to dismissal. So your method must be very effective.

Be safe.

Scott

(Northampton County)

This may be a dumb idea, but what about a shoulder rig? Scrubs are loose fitting, so maybe it would get lost in the loose fit
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bradjc72 View Post
    This may be a dumb idea, but what about a shoulder rig? Scrubs are loose fitting, so maybe it would get lost in the loose fit
    Thought about that but I think the straps might print a little. Besides thyat it would be kind of inacessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    While I am not a big fan of ankle carry, this may be one of the few options for you. The holsters have come a long way in the last ten years.

Also, I surmise that discovery in that environment could lead to dismissal. So your method must be very effective.

Be safe.

Scott
    I forgot about ankle carry. That might be a possibility.

I'm almost certain that every hospital in PA would fire an employee who was found to be carrying a firearm on the premises. The risks of carrying outweigh the risks of not carrying, in my mind. There's an infinitesimal chance that you'd need to have immediate access to a firearm while working, and there's a real chance (even a likelihood) that it would eventually be discovered in the course of lifting patients, walking into the MRI room, suddenly having to rinse off some mystery goop from an infected patient...it's a physical contact job where you'd be touching and being touched by strangers over and over, every day, and the last thing you'd want a typically anti-gun administrator hearing is someone asking "hey, what's that strapped to your hip?"

As for going to and from work while wearing scrubs, I'd go with either an ankle holster or some sort of belly-band holster that secures it near the small of the back.

SMARTCARY smartcary.com, works very well for deep concealment!

sorry, posted before proof read, smartcarry.com

Quote Originally Posted by jojo9mm View Post
    SMARTCARY smartcary.com, works very well for deep concealment!
    Ive seen some videos online of it from a guy that a bunch of reviews. It looked like that would work very well for deep comcealment. Although I havent heard many other reviews. Do you have any experience with it? The videos seem very convincing for close contact but i guess I will have to see for myself. With it being where it is, I would assume the only one to find it would be an overly friendly old lady. I seem to be hot stuff for the 70+.

(Monroe County)

Do what you feel you must, but understand the repercussions of being caught. You will lose you job. The reason you lost your job will follow you everywhere you try to get another job. In that environment, you may well carry without incident for years, but eventually, it will be discovered and you will be fired. I only say this because being a RN is not only important work, achieving that designation takes hard work and dedication, and I would hate to see all of that flushed. Use careful deliberation before you decide to go down that path, good luck.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast