Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo avail?

(Chester County)

Default 9mm ammo avail?

Been looking locally (far north east Philly/bensalem) for 9mm ammo and looking online. Everyone seems to be sold out with arrival estimates at April or later. Anyone know of any place that still has any in stock.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 9mm ammo avail?

My son went to Surplus City today. Not only were they out of ammo but every 9mm pistol too!

You should think about reloading. You can get a basic Lee startup set for about $150. RCBS is much better but lots more. Even with a Lee setup you can make your own ammo just as good (or better) than factory at 1/2 the cost. I reloaded for years and find it enjoyable so I never count my time doing it. Look at a Midway USA catalog.

If you make your own cast bullets its even cheaper. I can reload my spent .45 cases for about 5-6 cents a round (using scrounged lead).

Full power .45"s for the price of .22's!

(Chester County)

Unfortunately this is my first 9mm so i have no spent rounds and also Sig recommends against reload stating in the owner manual that their use voids the warranty.

I think I may check the gun show this weekend to see if they have any... otherwise if I become desperate, Dicks had some that was $30 for a box of 20 rounds.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    otherwise if I become desperate, Dicks had some that was $30 for a box of 20 rounds.
    Those are probably SooperDooper Self Defense rounds.
    Good to carry for self defense if you are carrying. Not good for practice at the range.

I suggest going to your local Walmart and buddy up to the sporting goods clerks. Find out from them what the delivery schedule is like. Last time I was at mine, they told me that a delivery had just arrived but was locked up until the manager came to work in the morning. Only the manager has the keys to the secure storeroom, I guess. I went in the next day and got the stuff as it was being brought out from the stockroom.

Are you a member at a gun club? Let it be known there that you are looking, maybe someone can help you out.

(Bucks County)

I would just wait till the hysteria dies down. They are NOT going to ban 9mm ammo. $30 for 20 rounds is outrageous.

Like the other post said they are probably "special" defense rounds. Unless I'm shooting a revolver, I avoid ammo like that. I need to know if a round will work EVERY time its needed. For every autoloader I have I put hundreds of rounds of any new load/ammo thru it before I will even start to depend on it. Unless you are willing to spend $900+ on ammo to be sure it works get some standard loads and put in some range time. Being confident / familiar with the round your shooting is much more important than marketing hype.

I would rather have a hit with some cheap ammo than a miss with the most expensive round in the world.
    Last edited by Delkal; January 24th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.

(Chester County)

With this being my first 9mm and first DAO pistol thats why I was a little eager to get some ammo to get used to the sights on it and the trigger pull. I may just try to buddy up with the clerks at the bensalem or bristol walmarts if i can't get anything at the show. a couple members were selling some on here too so thats also an option.

With the "hysteria" the problem I'm seeing is backorders out until summer/fall on a lot of websites. A little long for my taste.

(Bucks County)

Try Sgammo.com they seem to have ammo coming in every few days. Be quick though, what gets in, goes out within hours. Sometimes minutes.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    Been looking locally (far north east Philly/bensalem) for 9mm ammo and looking online. Everyone seems to be sold out with arrival estimates at April or later. Anyone know of any place that still has any in stock.
    Yesterday Surplus City had cases of 9 mm American eagle for $255, and 40 cal for $300.00. They also had 45acp American Eagle for $360. I bought a case of 45 ACP there yesterday afternoon at around 4:00 pm and observed what I listed above at that time.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdjs View Post
    Yesterday Surplus City had cases of 9 mm American eagle for $255, and 40 cal for $300.00. They also had 45acp American Eagle for $360. I bought a case of 45 ACP there yesterday afternoon at around 4:00 pm and observed what I listed above at that time.

How many rounds in these cases?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    How many rounds in these cases?
    They were standard cases of 1,000 rounds (20 fifty round boxes). I have bought case lots of PMC ammo there before, but this trip it was American Eagle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast