Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Questions about Five-seveN (noob questions)

Hi, I'm looking to buy a FN Five-seveN pistol very soon. However I have some questions on it. Im sorry if these have already been answered, and I apologize if I look like a total idiot.

1. All this talk about being banned, Do you think its going to happen?
    2. is it justified being so expensive? DO you think it will come back down to the 1000 dollar range?
    3. Its been my dream gun, do you think its smarter to just say F it, and get something like a glock instead?

If you have any thoughts or comments you can add please let me know.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Questions about Five-seveN (noob questions)

If anyone could accurately predict the future, they wouldn't have to work for a living. That said,

1) If any pistols get banned, the FsN will certainly be at the top of the list. The question is, what does that mean? No more can be sold, but it's still legal to transfer existing ones? In that case, their prices will keep rising. OTOH, if it means you have to turn 'em in, you probably won't be happy about having spent today's prices for one.

2) Is the current price of anything justified? On cost-to-manufacture basis, no, absolutely not (but on that basis the FsN wasn't worth $1000 either). On a supply and demand basis? Yup. There's only so much supply at the moment, so prices have risen to where the demand matches the supply.

3) What else do you currently own? Why do you want an FsN to begin with? Have you looked that price and availability of 5.7x28 ammo recently? Why would you settle for a Glock? Everyone and his homie already has one. How about an FSN9 instead? $600-ish, 17 round capacity, a better trigger than any Glock.
    Molon Labe!

I've always wanted one of these, not because I think they're superior to anything else but because I think they are interesting and unique.

I haven't been able to justify the price, and the ammo seems both hard to come by and expensive.

What prices have you seen recently? I haven't seen it in stock anywhere for awhile.

Gander Mountain had them on sale a couple months ago, maybe I should've picked one up then.. Doesn't look like they even sell them anymore (not listed on their site).
    Last edited by Wolfasaur; January 12th, 2013 at 02:00 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I was lucky enough to lay one away before all this. I had a hard time justifying that price. There is no way I would pay 1500 - 2k for one. On the other hand if it's your dream gun and you have the cash, go for it. Wants aren't always practical. Good luck

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfasaur View Post
    I've always wanted one of these, not because I think they're superior to anything else but because I think they are interesting and unique.

I haven't been able to justify the price, and the ammo seems both hard to come by and expensive.

What prices have you seen recently? I haven't seen it in stock anywhere for awhile.

Gander Mountain had them on sale a couple months ago, maybe I should've picked one up then..
    I'm seeing them around 1700+ but everywhere is out of stock. If i did buy one it would be around tax return time, I'm getting a nice one this year, thats the only way I could afford it. Like you said I should of put one on layaway a few months ago...

I used to own one and sold it. Too bad I didn't keep it because it would be worth so much more now.

The big sticking point for me was availability and price of ammo. That's gotten better since then (well, not recently) but still isn't like a 9mm. Other than that, it was a nice pistol.

As far as a ban is concerned, I suppose that it could be banned. However, far, far more likely would be that magazines will be limited to 10 rounds. This makes this gun far less appealing since one of the big selling points is the 20 or 30 round magazines. I guess that something can be done with the ammo as well... the 5.7 round has scared gun-grabbers for a while. However, it's been under the radar for the most part, short of the Ft. Hood shooting. Who knows what's going to happen.

If you want one, then figure out how badly you want one and buy it if you can get one at that price. If you do, then start stockpiling ammo and mags. Unfortunately for you, it will cost a fortune to do so right now.

(Northampton County)

The FN 5.7 is not your first or second handgun it is your fifth or sixth. Yes it cost more, I don't know why but nobody else has made one to compete with it yet ( to my knowledge ). Ammo is a real bitch. It is fun to shoot and very accurate, it is so light you almost forget it is on your side. What ever you decide wait and see if all this Gun Control BS settles down first.
    Have you shot one yet? if not rent one and check it out.

Be Safe.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    The FN 5.7 is not your first or second handgun it is your fifth or sixth. Yes it cost more, I don't know why but nobody else has made one to compete with it yet ( to my knowledge ). Ammo is a real bitch. It is fun to shoot and very accurate, it is so light you almost forget it is on your side. What ever you decide wait and see if all this Gun Control BS settles down first.
    Have you shot one yet? if not rent one and check it out.

Be Safe.
    I am new to Five-seveN's not Hand guns. I own 4 right now (M&P 40, Taurus 605, Beretta M9, and a Russian Makarov)

I rented one back in the summer at Anthony arms and I have shot roughly around 250 rounds through their 5.7 before they took it out of their range. I remember when they had one for 1099.00 which now i wish I would of bought. As stated before, I would wait until my tax return as I am coming on to quite a bit of money, But I'm just wondering if its the right thing to do assuming at that time, Its affordable, and available.

Noob question , would be when I pm'ed you , I knew of 2 used ones for sale. One in Delaware, gone now. Other is in Pa. With the PS90.

A good thing for you to learn, is responding. Maybe you would have yours by now.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

The time to have bought the FiveseveN on the cheap was five years ago when gun shops couldn't give them away and you could get used ones for $500.

If you really want a FiveseveN now, wait. Unless they are outright banned, the price will come back down to their usual over-inflated prices in a couple of months.

Even if you did buy one, what are you going to shoot out of it? There's no (cheap) ammo to be had anywhere that I can find. Then again, if you don't mind paying $1800+ for a FiveseveN right now, $50/box for ammo probably won't bother you either.

I'm really hoping that someone introduces another pistol in 5.7x28mm at SHOT next week. Something reasonably priced and doesn't weigh four pounds like the MPA 5.7 or only holds 10 rounds like the Excel Arms 5.7.