Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default M1911 as a finest fighting pistol

So 1911 has been hailed as "finest fighting Pistol" for pretty much this past 100 years, and I think most of you would agree with the claim, as I do.

And as I got a incurable itch to buy another one(I want one ith rail this time), one could not help, but to wonder as to why a M1911 enjoys such a claim.

Is it because of its caliber? While i myself do not blindly agree that .45 is a ultimate man stopper(propely designed 9mm I think can be just as effective, not to mention .40SW...), as you always read/hear how 9mm M9 isn't stopping the threat quickly as they like, and so on.

Is it because of its design? Original M1911 was designed to work in ANY harsh condition, and it did. From the icy cold Battle of the Bulge in Ardennes forest to muggy jungle of Guadalcanal. While some newer 1911's can sometimes be finniky due to much tighter tolorance, and so on. But original 1911 worked as it was intended.
    But so does the M9. You may hear that 9mm aren't sufficient to stop the thread right away, you almost never hear(at least I haven't) M9 jam in the battle.

There are many fine pistols chambered in .45 nowdays that are just as good, if not better(G21, M&P45, XD45, FNX45 and so on). They all feature more capacity, they all work(with both FMJ, and JHP), just as reliable, and accurate. Most don't look as good as 1911, however. But the fine looks don't kill. Its the projectile comes out of tube that does, and all these other guns does fien jobs of that
    Yet, none of these guys gets finest fighting weapon as 1911 does.
    I love my 1911's(TRP, Loaded, RIA). They fit my hand, and accurate. And has been very reliable while shooting in controlled environment.
    Will I trust it to work in muddy, cold, sandy condition? I'm not sure.
    But I would imagin my Glock will always work in these harsh environment.

WHat you guys think?
    Last edited by Mity2; January 12th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: M1911 as a finest fighting pistol

Very nice tribute to the 1911.

Since it is not the current side arm of issue I'd say that its #1 ranking comes from purely a historical perspective.

I do like them.

(Chester County)

While I am a great fan of the 1191A1 one has to remember what it HAD been compared with...

In WWI and WWII it went up against the 9mm, .380, .38, and whatever other pansy rounds that were being used. All using ball ammo. Against such competition the .45 rules. And American production standards that made all parts interchangeable and it was also one of the most reliable. The .357 and other magnums were not around and the six shooter was still the common civilian handgun.

In the modern era it is still one of the most versatile platforms out there. The same weapon the dominates 50 yard bulls eye matches can still be one of the most deadly weapons with a simple change in ammo.

Before the plastic gun I would rate the 1911 the best defensive handgun available, but know my everyday carry is the ruger SR40. Lighter, larger capacity, just as reliable, and stopping power equal to a .45.

I do still love it though!!!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post

In WWI and WWII it went up against the 9mm, .380, .38, and whatever other pansy rounds that were being used. All using ball ammo. Against such competition the .45 rules. And American production standards that made all parts interchangeable and it was also one of the most reliable. The .357 and other magnums were not around and the six shooter was still the common civilian handgun.
    Correct. But modern fightling force like MEU are still sticking with 1911 platform. And they can pretty much demand whatever they chose.

And I also feels that .357mag is more potent man stopper...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Me personally, the 1911 is probably the most nicest gun in terms of visuals. When it comes to reliability and use, At this point in the firearms world. there are so many good companies and good models of every gun, its hard to go wrong. If its a 1911, or M&P 45 or block or M9 i feel confident i have a good firearm.

(Philadelphia County)

If they were more affordable, I'd pick up a Five Seven. Large capacity, potent rounds, lightweight. It has everything going for it. I think that's probably the best "modern" fighting pistol.

Although, nothing will ever win in the aesthetics department like a 1911 will. Mine is just too purdy to put out of sight.
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

Here are my feelings on the matter...

(1) Stuff is never as great as fanboys say it is.

(2) Stuff is never as shitty as haters say it is.

That's true whether you're talking Ol' Slabsides or Plastic Fantastic.

My Take on the 1911
    If you train and stay current with it stress shooting becomes a reflex. The grip angle and old slab sides make it seem at sometimes to just go and shoot what you want shot. I have been shooting the same 1911 Colt for the last 50 yrs. so it is to me like an extension of my hand.

We have several different platforms but if my life or those of others is at risk there is just no contest.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Pike County)

I personally feel with more modern sights, modern production techniques and quality 10 round magazine that a M1911 in 45 ACP still has decades more life to it. I mean people carry around SIG's in 45 ACP that only hold 12 rounds and call it the holy grail, so an M1911 can easily compete with that.

Now the M&P 45 with the extended 14 round magazine is quite nice too, gotta get me one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Correct. But modern fightling force like MEU are still sticking with 1911 platform. And they can pretty much demand whatever they chose.

And I also feels that .357mag is more potent man stopper...
    Bada Bing, the M1911 has you covered:

How awesome is that?

Now they just need to make an extended 10 round magazine, that would be beyond epic.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I personally feel with more modern sights, modern production techniques and quality 10 round magazine that a M1911 in 45 ACP still has decades more life to it. I mean people carry around SIG's in 45 ACP that only hold 12 rounds and call it the holy grail, so an M1911 can easily compete with that.

Now the M&P 45 with the extended 14 round magazine is quite nice too, gotta get me one soon.

Bada Bing, the M1911 has you covered:

How awesome is that?

Now they just need to make an extended 10 round magazine, that would be beyond epic.
    OMG!!! I must have one! I can't make out the company name in the picture. Got a link?

Edit: never mind. I found it. Ooh now I know what to save up for!
    Last edited by Shisno; January 12th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast