Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Pa gun tracking.

I've read that in addition to handgun sales being recorded by the state police, there are "certain" rifles and shotguns kept track of as well. Anyone know what these are?

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Pa gun tracking.

I believe all the NFA items (automatic weapons, SBR, SBS, etc) are tracked.

There are also some gun shops, for reasons unknown, treat all stripped AR lower receivers as handguns, and require buyers to fill out the PSP form. Even though the ATF form 4473 clearly distinguishes handguns from receivers. I know first-hand at least two well-known stores in Centre and Clearfield counties that do this.

(Lycoming County)

The "certain" ones would be the ones that were purchased from an FFL. The ones that would not be in the transfer database are the ones that were done through private sale, without the involvement of an FFL.

Be safe (and under the radar, sometimes).

Scott

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    I believe all the NFA items (automatic weapons, SBR, SBS, etc) are tracked.

There are also some gun shops, for reasons unknown, treat all stripped AR lower receivers as handguns, and require buyers to fill out the PSP form. Even though the ATF form 4473 clearly distinguishes handguns from receivers. I know first-hand at least two well-known stores in Centre and Clearfield counties that do this.
    They are no longer allowed to do that for every receiver. The PSP even released a statement a 2 or 3 years ago about stopping that practice.

It is not required, but a person can OPT to have it done. The current build status truly and legal determines if it is required.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    They are no longer allowed to do that for every receiver. The PSP even released a statement a 2 or 3 years ago about stopping that practice.

It is not required, but a person can OPT to have it done. The current build status truly and legal determines if it is required.
    That's what I thought, too. But both stores answered my inquiry regarding it within the past year (respectively, in March and November, of 2012) that they would transfer stripped lowers as pistols. One store clerk even stated that an ATF agent told him to do so. In both instants I had the stripped lower in my hands, and was just about to pull out my DL and ask for form 4473. In each case I asked one last question about how they would transfer it, and both times their answers caused me to put my wallet back in pocket.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    That's what I thought, too. But both stores answered my inquiry regarding it within the past year (respectively, in March and November, of 2012) that they would transfer stripped lowers as pistols. One store clerk even stated that an ATF agent told him to do so. In both instants I had the stripped lower in my hands, and was just about to pull out my DL and ask for form 4473. In each case I asked one last question about how they would transfer it, and both times their answers caused me to put my wallet back in pocket.
    BOTH STORES ARE WRONG!!! This was cleared up several years ago and if they read the newsletters that were issued by the PSP they would know this. Stripped lower receivers (actually any stripped receiver, be it an AR or a Remington 700 receiver) are considered "Other" and are transferred like a rifle. With the except that if the buyer is under 21 and buyinf it at a FFL, the FFL cannot transfer it to them. An FFLL can only transfer a stripped receiver to someone 21 or older. And this is also spelled out in black and white on the ATF Form 4473.

And I guarantee an BATFE official didn't tell them that. They said that because it took them off the hook and you couldn't prove that the ATF didn't say that. I'm an FFL and I asked the ATF about it and they emphaticlly siad they would not tell that to any FFL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

I know what you said to be true. I have been following this forum, more or less regularly, for the past 4 years, and am fairly well-educated on what's going on -- thanks to all the knowledgeable folks here. Hence on both occasions I chose not to give the stores my business, because I refused to be forced to fill out the unnecessary PSP handgun form (and had my purchase entered into the illegal database). Meanwhile, I was able to purchase one very reasonably priced stripped lower at a shop in Spring Mills, without having to fill out the PSP form. Would like to get a couple more stripped lowers, but then the panic started and well you know the rest.

I actually have met you once, Ron, in May of 2009 during one of your sporting goods-only garage sales. Still have your business card somewhere. Once things calm down, I probably will call on your service to transfer a few lowers, as I have decided to shop for stripped lowers on-line in the future .

(Lehigh County)

Every time I pick up an ar lower at Boyer's (great store btw) they ask me what i am going to do with it. Once I said a pistol and they did the form. I just picked another one up about 3 weeks ago, i said I am not sure yet, they just said OK and that was it. Now, when I pick up a receiver for one of my FAL's or hk's, they never ask what I am going to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    The "certain" ones would be the ones that were purchased from an FFL. The ones that would not be in the transfer database are the ones that were done through private sale, without the involvement of an FFL.

Be safe (and under the radar, sometimes).

Scott
    Long guns sold through an FFL in PA do not require the PSP form and therefore are not in the "database".