Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Are you a Prepper?

So I live in the Coraopolis area here in Pittsburgh and I am somewhat of a prepper (Doomsday that is). I prepped for Y2K and ended up with lots of stuff that I had to use up over a long period of time, but none of it was wasted.

Nowadays, I prep for many potential events, but for the most part, just because I believe the S#@t will hit the fan eventually. I stock up on guns, ammo, food, water and barter items as well as the essential things one might need in the end times like gas, booze and goodies.

Anyone else out there care to admit they too are paranoid like me?

After all, we re-elected a winner, did we not and he intends to lead us into the light.

Salute!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Are you a Prepper?

Yes, I am a prepper. Not because I think stuff will happen, I was just raised to be prepared.

We are also neighbors!

I prep, but I'm not insane like those on doomsday preppers. I prep for realistic things, like when I was without power for a week, or Sandy, or high winds and deep snow, for example.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Dauphin County)

Its not paranoia it being prepared. Its the smartest thing you can do. Im a half way prepper meaning I get what I can afford. I need to financially live in today too. Ive seen people on that show give up all they have for preparations. Ive been stalking up on ammo mostly 22lr. Perfect round for food and some self defense. Ill save the big bore ammo for real self defense. I gotta work on the food and water and some sorta out door heat and shelter incase my home is not an option. My wife thinks im crazy but hopefully she'll never have to say you were right about this lol. Good luck to you and stay prepared

(Lehigh County)

Who wants to know
    Gun control is not about guns, it's about CONTROL

(Dauphin County)

Its not paranoia it being prepared I think the poster meant or are you afraid to admit it due to the black helos hoving over your house.

Shhh. Did you notice how the kidnapper that got that poor boy off the bus was referred to as a survivalist/prepper. We will hafta come up with a new name. How bout a .. "stockboy" ??

(Allegheny County)

Prepping or being a survivalist is just another form of insurance in my opinion.

You buy insurance in case you die and your family needs money, or you get sick and need that hospital bill paid. This form of insurance just takes the form of canned goods and other supplies.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by drh 686 View Post
    Who wants to know
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

I think its all about being prepared a little extra food and consumables on hand, buying ammo when you see a good price and having a second or third handgun or rifle. I had an instructor tell me almost twenty years ago to keep a thousand rounds for each weapon you have and at least six spare magazines. haven't always achieved these numbers but I tried. This has allowed me to be able to sit this current bubble out as I have ammo and magazines and don't have to pay inflated prices for either.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QueechoFeecho View Post
    Prepping or being a survivalist is just another form of insurance in my opinion.

You buy insurance in case you die and your family needs money, or you get sick and need that hospital bill paid. This form of insurance just takes the form of canned goods and other supplies.
    I agree to a certain extent.

I buy insurance for protection against things that are statistically most likely to happen to me or mine (Home Owners, Car, Health, etc). I don't buy insurance for things that are not statistically likely to happen to me or mine (extended warranties on products, flight insurance, flood, etc).

You really need to balance the cost of the insurance vs the cost of not having it. I don't believe in any nation wide TEOTWAWKI scenario. I do believe in the possibility of a localized situation that would require a plan for self preservation for a limited time span from 1-30 days. This is a reasonable situation to plan for and for a reasonable investment.

I have nothing against those who plan for TEOTWAWKI, but I question the true reason they are prepping for it. Is it because they truly think it will happen or is more of just a hobby they enjoy?

BTW, I think almost every one I've seen on that Prepping show has a screw loose somewhere.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast