Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: CAn you open carry after being licensed to carry concealed?

In any state where open carry is legal whether it be licensed or unlicensed - the possession of a license does not require a person to conceal. Not one state requires a person to conceal after they have a license if open carry is already legal.

You do not lose your right to walk once you get your drivers license. You don't lose your right to walk after you get a pilots license. It is asinine to believe that you would lose your right to carry openly once issued a license to carry firearms.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    In any state where open carry is legal whether it be licensed or unlicensed - the possession of a license does not require a person to conceal. Not one state requires a person to conceal after they have a license if open carry is already legal.

You do not lose your right to walk once you get your drivers license. You don't lose your right to walk after you get a pilots license. It is asinine to believe that you would lose your right to carry openly once issued a license to carry firearms.
    That's a very good way to put it in perspective.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Or, if they're gonna ba a p%!@k about it, tell them your not using your LTCF when carrying openly.Or just tell them what you're going to do with the money from the settlement...

(Indiana County)

The police officer in question obviously didn't absorb any of the instruction set forth back in 1969 during his annual MPOETC training. There it specifically issued instructions to all police officers statewide that OC was legal.

Between then and now there have been additional MPOETC updates addressing the subject.

If the police officer in question wants to arrest someone for OCing, whether they've got an LTCF or not, then he'd best be prepared for a civil rights lawsuit against him personally and professionally, with no qualified immunity since he already received training on the subject.

There will always be cops and lawyers who read the UFA and assume that they understand it on the first pass. Reminds me of a "Simpsons" episode, where Bart and Millhouse are looking at some people through binoculars, but can't figure out what they're talking about, and Millhouse says "You said you could read lips!" Bart responds, "I assumed that I could."

I had an ADA in Montgomery County who tried to add a charge against a client for carrying openly while possessing an LTCF, and the DJ tossed it. Frankly, I was a little embarrassed for the ADA, who presumably graduated from an accredited law school and passed the PA Bar exam, yet had zero understanding of the way the UFA works, and may have had issues with the way the English language works as well. It was kind of like your garage mechanic asking you "what are those round rubber things that the car seems to be rolling on?"

Yes, the purpose of an LTCF is to carry concealed or in a vehicle. The purpose of a wrench is to turn bolts. Having a wrench in your tool bag doesn't require you to turn bolts, it just allows you to do so. You can still use nails or screws, instead.

The example I've given for some years has been that a teen with a bicycle doesn't have to turn in his bike when he gets a driver's license. The DL gives him an extra option, he can now ride the bike or drive a car. When riding the bike, the DL is absolutely irrelevant, just as having an LTCF is irrelevant to OC in all but one of Pennsylvania's counties, outside of Federal school zones.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfecom View Post
    First off, sorry for the lack of use regarding the enter key.

I know that what he told me was not accurate, but the fact that it was laid out that they can find “good cause” to make sure I never get my LTC again was just wrong. That was kind of like saying “we will win no matter what so don’t mess with us.”

He was very polite so I kind of let that slide.

My plan now is to get either a letter from the county, or better yet the state, clarifying that it is not illegal. I will provide a copy (with my info removed) to my buddy to give to his LEO friend.

Will have to see if I can contact Gunlawyer as suggested.

As for the comment about the law being wrong, when I address some of these things he just kept saying I was trying to find loopholes. Laughed every time he said that because that was always the response.

Thank you very much for the info.

Feel free to print this out and hand deliver a copy of it to your buddy's LEO friend and the deputy you spoke to on the phone. Also, follow up with the sheriff directly to make sure that all his deputies have received this training. They are completely ignorant of the laws and need training. If they refuse to accept the laws as stated, he need thrown off the force. I've been OCing for a few years now and my encounters with LEOs has been neutral to positive thus far.

Good luck and feel free to post anymore questions.

MPOETC OC 2009 Update
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

(Delaware County)

I know the post on the first page is six years old but... rather than being called out to investigate every "Man With A Gun" call—wasting the officer(s) time, the citizen's time, and potentially preventing the officer from responding to an actual crime in progress—would it not be better for the operator to inform the ignoramus that openly carrying a firearm is neither a) illegal nor b) suspicious, and to c) call back when there's actually something worth reporting?

(Bucks County)

Or to put it another way, this thread was created during the first 100 days of The Big Ob. I have to say the last 6 years have sucked.

In Philly I don't see this changing. Any time you get a 911 call 'a man with a gun' the police are going to react the same way. To big of a gamble if they tell the people to ignore it. Now then after the police get to the scene. And the police check everything and find no laws broken. The police need to tell the caller about open carry.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910