Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default A personal example of a privilege vs a right.

OK, so I messed up. It's all my fault here but I thought it's a good lesson regardless. This deals with vehicle insurance, registration and driving.

I had motorcycle insurance through Gieco. They had me on automatic billing. Welp, something went Snafu in their billing process and I wasn't billed when they screwed up my checking account number on auto withdrawl. They did send me a paper bill when I came due but used to getting Gieco junkmail I just tossed it not expecting anything important from them.

Welp, they sent me another notice that the insurance was canceled and I got pissed they screwed up and figured I'd just reup in the spring with someone else. Unfortunately, the vehicle code in PA requires you to have insurance on any registered vehicle so when the DMV found out through Geico, who had to inform them, they sent me a warning I had to get new insurance.

I screwed up and just skimmed the top of the DMV notice thinking it was a PENDOT warning not to drive without insurance when in truth I was facing a fine for having a registered and uninsured vehicle. Today the second notice came fining me and suspending my motorcycle registration for three months with the requirement I turn over the plate and registration card. What a pain in the ass but like I said, it's ultimately my fault for not paying attention.

Now imagine this type of bureaucracy if you are required to register or insure firearms. A billing error occurs and your not paying attention, then the next thing you know you're facing fines and who knows what else just because you own a firearm.

---------------

On a side note, can anyone suggest a good insurance company that they use for motorcycle insurance? Although I ultimately messed up, Geico started the ball rolling as far as I'm concerned with the billing SNAFU and loses my business. Also, all lizards crossing the road better watch out from now on

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: A personal example of a privilege vs a right.

I would imagine the lack of transportation thing would be more of a pain in the ass since you can't legally get around without it compared to firearm ownership which most guns sit in a safe or something all day. Maybe if you lived in a terrible neighborhood and engaged bad guys on a daily basis but I don't think that ever happens.

(Allegheny County)

I always used Rider insurance for my motorcycles.

http://www.rider.com/

Never had to file a claim (knock on wood), but the price was way lower than anyone else.

(Cumberland County)

I have USAA. They aren't too anal about payments. I think I have to pay them every 6 months but I send in payments every other month or so. They send notices saying I'm getting close but never really harp about it. I'm not sure if they are open to the public yet. When I picked them up it was military only and related family.

(York County)

I was about to post this really helpful suggestion, but then I realized you'd probably think it was spam and just throw it away...
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; January 11th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

I use Dairyland for my motorcycle insurance. They've always had the best rates for me, even better than Riders. YMMV.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz View Post

Never had to file a claim (knock on wood), but the price was way lower than anyone else.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    I have USAA. They aren't too anal about payments. I think I have to pay them every 6 months but I send in payments every other month or so. They send notices saying I'm getting close but never really harp about it. I'm not sure if they are open to the public yet. When I picked them up it was military only and related family.
    I thought they went through progressive for MC insurance?
    H&K USP Compact 9mm//SA XD-9//SA XDs 45//S&W 442

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    I didn't even think of USAA. After looking into it, they look like a great deal for me. Thanks for the heads up.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz View Post

Same here. Never filed a claim, but their 35 miles of free towing came in handy when my chain broke. No hassle at all.

(Mercer County)

I use progressive. I have a '07 BMW F800-ST with full coverage it's around $350 a year or something like that.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast