Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving out of state question

Moving to TN. Apparently, you can apply for your TN CCW at the drivers license center. However, TN requires completion of a "TN State recognized handgun safety course" before approval. This leaves me with an immediate TN DL and a wait on their CCW. My question is, is my PA LTCF valid if it is still current but I am no longer a PA resident? You cannot even OC in TN without a CCW. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Moving out of state question

You have to be a resident to have the PA LTCF.....you would no longer be one once licensed in TN, and the non-resident wouldn't fly either, since you dont have one from TN......so........NO
    Good luck with your move
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; January 10th, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    You are only here for a short while, make it fun

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMonkey View Post
    You have to be a resident to have the PA LTCF.....you would no longer be one once licensed in TN, and the non-resident wouldn't fly either, since you dont have one from TN......so........NO
    Good luck with your move
    Really?

The PA LTCF is good until it expires or is revoked. Moving out of of PA does not void it.

When moving to TN you have 6 months to obtain a TN permit during which time you can use your PA LTCF.

TN 39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

(r) (1) A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

(2) For a person to lawfully carry a handgun in this state based upon a permit or license issued in another state, the person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times the person carries a handgun in this state.

(3) (A) The commissioner of safety shall enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of the agreements. The commissioner of safety shall prepare and publicly publish a current list of states honoring permits issued by the state of Tennessee and shall make the list available to anyone upon request. The commissioner of safety shall also prepare and publicly publish a current list of states who, after inquiry by the commissioner, refuse to enter into a reciprocity agreement with this state or honor handgun carry permits issued by this state. To the extent that any state may impose conditions in the reciprocity agreements, the commissioner of safety shall publish those conditions as part of the list. If another state imposes conditions on Tennessee permit holders in a reciprocity agreement, the conditions shall also become a part of the agreement and apply to the other state's permit holders when they carry a handgun in this state.

(B) If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

(C) (i) If a person who is a resident of and handgun permit holder in another state is employed in this state on a regular basis and desires to carry a handgun in this state, the person shall have six (6) months from the last day of the sixth month of regular employment in this state to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

(ii) The provisions of this subdivision (r)(3)(C) shall not apply if the state of residence of the person employed in Tennessee has entered into a handgun permit reciprocity agreement with this state pursuant to this subsection (r).

(iii) As used in this subdivision (r)(3)(C), "employed in this state on a regular basis" means a person has been gainfully employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months not counting any absence from employment caused by the employee's use of sick leave, annual leave, administrative leave or compensatory time.

(Adams County)

How about this- Keep your PA DL& LTCF until you get your TN carry permit? Or take an TN approved course before you leave PA?

Good luck.
    USMV M/C

(Jefferson County)

Your PA LTCF is valid until it expires or is revoked.

If you move out of state and you do not have a license/permit from your new state of residence - then that is grounds for the sheriff to revoke your LTCF.

Best thing to do - move to TN, get your TN permit, then notify the sheriff back in PA that you have moved and that you would like to update your address on record so that you get your renewal notice. ....that is, if your present sheriff is friendly to issuing to non-residents.

If he isn't friendly to non-residents, you might not want to let him know at all.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thank you all very much for the info. Sure gonna miss this site. Not that I cannot drop in, just won't be the same. Ya know, there is no TNFOA. Have y'all thought of franchising?

(Butler County)

That'd be nice cause it just ain't the same in TN. Moved down here 10 months ago and haven't found a forum yet. Couple places to shoot but it's just.... Different

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you move out of state and you do not have a license/permit from your new state of residence - then that is grounds for the sheriff to revoke your LTCF.
    I wonder... would the LTCF holder legally required to surrender his PA LTCF knowing that he is no longer eligible at the time he becomes a resident of TN and does not have a license from there?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I wonder... would the LTCF holder legally required to surrender his PA LTCF knowing that he is no longer eligible at the time he becomes a resident of TN and does not have a license from there?
    I've never seen any indication of a duty to "self revoke". The sheriff technically has a statutory duty to revoke if he becomes aware of the situation, but there's no obvious duty imposed on the license-holder.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    That'd be nice cause it just ain't the same in TN. Moved down here 10 months ago and haven't found a forum yet. Couple places to shoot but it's just.... Different
    I lived in Germantown for a few years. You're right; it is different. Check out http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast