Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Local Reloading Supplies

I'm in the process of learning to reload. A few months back I ordered a Lee Pro 1000 setup in 9mm. I put reloading on the back burner for a while and finally got around to ordering the rest of the tools I needed (Calipers, Scale, etc...).

As of this morning I ordered some of the items I needed, as well as 1k bullets. I'd like to pick up Primers and Powder locally (to save on the Hazmat fee). I hear Cabela's is a mess but how are the other shops in the Reading area?

I drive past Gun Traders several times per week and could easily stop in. I've never been too impressed with their gun pricing, so I was kind of leery about what they would charge for powder and primers?

I'm very fond of The Handgunner but I hear they have been slammed as of late. How is thier pricing on reloading necessities?

I've been to East Coast Ammo (Gilbertisville) once but it was at least 6 months ago. Has anyone been in there recently and noticed pricing?

As for primers, Lee recommends either CCI or Remington (says others are soft and could explode in the press). For powder I don't have much preference but the bullet manufacturer recommends staying away from Titegroup and N310 because they burn too hot for their coating.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy powder and primers in the Reading area?

Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: Local Reloading Supplies

Glad to hear you're getting into reloading! Yes, Cabelas is always a mess, don't even bother going there. They haven't had primers for probably more than a month now, and as of yesterday their entire stock of powder was practically gone. I went there for a Lee die and they didn't even have that.

I'm in Kutztown, so I frequently stop in at the Handgunner to see what they have. Bought my first gun from them and am very fond of them as well. Yes they've been slammed as of late, but rightly so. They have the best prices around in my opinion. They're reloading section isn't very extensive, but most of the time they have what I need. They usually only stock Federal primers. About a month ago I picked up a brick of them, as it was the last one on the shelf. Didn't see them back on the shelf until yesterday when he had at least 25 bricks on the shelf, must have just got them in seeing as they're closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Limited to 1 brick per customer like most places, I picked up one wishing I could have gotten more. I suspect they're probably close to gone already, as there were people behind me picking some up as well. They also have a decent selection of powder in stock, especially Titegroup and 231 which are two powders I usually use. So really, it's hit or miss there. I'll still go there any day because it's so close and because their prices are great. Just give them a call to see if they have any before you make the drive out.

You could also make the drive out 422 to Shyda's Gun Shop in Lebanon. About an hour ride for me, but worth it. They have the best selection/stock of any gun store I've been to, and their prices are very competitive. Always have a huge selection of powders and other reloading equipment. Not sure if they carry too many Lee products or not. A couple weeks ago I was searching around for primers, and found that out of every place I asked, Shyda's was the only one that had any. So my buddy and I made the drive out. Here they stocked CCI, Winchester, Remington, and Federal primers, however they only had 3 bricks of Federals and a couple boxes of Remington's left in small pistol primers. When checking out, I asked if they knew when they'd have more in and they had no idea.

So you're best off just calling around to shops to see what they have before you make the drive. Shyda's and the Handgunner are definitely two great spots to check out though.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhite72082 View Post
    I'm in the process of learning to reload. A few months back I ordered a Lee Pro 1000 setup in 9mm. I put reloading on the back burner for a while and finally got around to ordering the rest of the tools I needed (Calipers, Scale, etc...).

As of this morning I ordered some of the items I needed, as well as 1k bullets. I'd like to pick up Primers and Powder locally (to save on the Hazmat fee). I hear Cabela's is a mess but how are the other shops in the Reading area?

I drive past Gun Traders several times per week and could easily stop in. I've never been too impressed with their gun pricing, so I was kind of leery about what they would charge for powder and primers?

I'm very fond of The Handgunner but I hear they have been slammed as of late. How is thier pricing on reloading necessities?

I've been to East Coast Ammo (Gilbertisville) once but it was at least 6 months ago. Has anyone been in there recently and noticed pricing?

As for primers, Lee recommends either CCI or Remington (says others are soft and could explode in the press). For powder I don't have much preference but the bullet manufacturer recommends staying away from Titegroup and N310 because they burn too hot for their coating.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy powder and primers in the Reading area?

Thanks
    Last edited by Rush2112; January 10th, 2013 at 03:09 PM.

(Berks County)

I agree with The Handgunner recommendation.

They will sometimes hold a brick of primers (or powder) for you until you get there, if you call ahead.

You can always place an order for powders and primers with them, and they will call you when it comes in.

Richland Shooters, and Encks Gun Barn are both well stocked with reloading supplies, and their prices are generally better than Cabelas.

http://encksgunbarn.com/

http://www.richlandshooters.com/about-us.html
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Berks County)

DARRYL'S GUN SHOP IN NEWMANSTOWN, HAS BEEN GREAT