Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default .40S&W pocket gun-S&W Shield or Kahr CM40

I'm looking to get into some heavy caliber pocket guns, for concealed carry, and for camping/hiking.

I already have plenty of .380 and 9mm pocket guns, but I want to try one in .40S&W.

The two I have in mind are the Kahr CM40 and the S&W Shield in 40.

I like the Kahr CM40 because its the smallest, and most pocketable, but I wonder how buck of a pain it would be to shoot such a small pistol in .40.

The S&W Shield is a little bigger, heavier and nicer, but pocket carry wise its pretty close to the size of my Ruger LC9. Its seems pocketable but it really pushing the limits. I think it would be a little more comfortable to shoot at the range.

Anyone own any of these guns, and can comment?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .40S&W pocket gun-S&W Shield or Kahr CM40

Quote Originally Posted by theyoungone View Post
    I like the Kahr CM40 because its the smallest, and most pocketable, but I wonder how buck of a pain it would be to shoot such a small pistol in .40.
    If you've ever shot a Glock 27, imagine the smaller Kahr pumping out the 40 cartridge. The followers in the smaller Kahr 40 mags are known to break. I too wanted the CM40 but went with the CM9 and its been 100% out of the box.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    If you've ever shot a Glock 27, imagine the smaller Kahr pumping out the 40 cartridge. The followers in the smaller Kahr 40 mags are known to break. I too wanted the CM40 but went with the CM9 and its been 100% out of the box.
    I had a Kahr K40 Covert, which is basically a K40 cut down to a subcompact grip size, like the CM40. It was unpleasant to shoot, and it was all steel.

(Bucks County)

I decided against the PM40 after hearing about some reliability issues on top of the concerns of not being able to shoot such a stout round. I really didn't want to get a 9mm as I just got rid of my LC9 and have no other pistols in 9mm. In hindsight it may have been better to switch my EDC from a USPc .40 to 9mm.

Regardless I ended up getting a Smith 340 M&P scandium alloy .357 snubby, and don't really have a problem with the recoil. Since I cannot imagine that the .40 would be worse than the .357 in a similarly sized weapon I would consider getting a PM40 in the future.

(Butler County)

I purchased a PM40 two weeks ago...and have 200 rounds through it. I can say its not the most enjoyable to shoot, but using the 6 round instead of the 5 round mag makes it a bit more manageable. I have not had any issues with it yet, but am aware of some what others have had. At this point, i'm please with it and its so easy to carry in a variety of ways.

(Lancaster County)

I have had a PM40 for a little over a year now. It is one of those guns that I carry a lot and shoot a little. You definitely know you are shooting it, but I would not call the recoil unmanageable. I equate it to shooting an airweight j frame with +p ammo. On the other hand, the accuracy of this little gun is amazing. The Kahr double action trigger is second to none, and as far as I know it is the smallest and lightest .40 on the market. Mine has been completely reliable.

On the other hand, the Shield has experienced a few issues in the .40 flavor. I have seen videos showing the magazine dropping out at random under the force of the recoil. Google it and you will see. I would stick to the 9mm shield for now until S&W gets them figured out.

The biggest factor is the .40 S&W round. It has considerably higher SAAMI pressure specs than the 9mm or .45. It has a sharper recoil impulse than the 9 or 45 and for most it can be unpleasant to shoot in pocket pistols. Modern ammunition advancements have practically bridged the gap between 9mm and .40 and 9mm is cheaper to shoot in most cases. Also in 9mm you generally get 1 or 2 more rounds of capacity in the same size gun. For a pocket pistol, you are limited to begin with. I would encourage you to go out and rent/shoot a pint sized .40 before you buy so that you can be sure that is what you want.

Good Luck

(York County)

In my opinion, Kahr pistols are over priced and in my experience... ammo-sensitive. The fact that they're owned by the Moonies doesn't exactly impress me, either.

The Shield is a much better gun. Recoil is inexplicably light, and it is an accurate well made, nicely priced weapon.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    The fact that they're owned by the Moonies doesn't exactly impress me, either.
    My brother and I took his Father in law gun shopping last week to by his first pistol. He's a devout Christian and decided to get a Kahr CM9. You should have seen his face as I told him that as we ate lunch afterwards, all he could do was laugh and shake his head. It was funny you had to be there i guess .
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Chester County)

I've got the Shield in 9mm, the .40 isn't much bigger if at all. I've had it for 9 months and other than a problem with the white in the front sight, I think it's the most enjoyable gun I own. I've got a M&P9 full size and I like the shield better.

I carry it everywhere, everyday in a crossbreed and while it's not always a positive there are times when I feel like I forgot to put the gun in the holster, meaning it's so thin and light that it feels like it isn't there.

To help make it relative, I'm 6'1'' approx 190 lbs and nearly always wear the shield IWB.

I HIGHLY Recommend this firearm for CC....if you can find one. I waited 3 mo for mine.
    "A Ship in Harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for."