Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Gun shops in area - deal with three looking for others

Since returning to area several years ago I have been dealing mainly with three gun shops: Trop in Elizabethtown, Backwoods Outfitters in Columbia, and a little with New Holland Sportsman in of course New Holland. Trop seems to have best selection on hand followed by New Holland, but Backwoods Outfitters has nice consignment selection at times and good prices, even if have to special order, which is handled quickly.

So what have been your experience with these or other shops? I am always looking for new places.

Harford County (Orig Harrisburg, PA), Maryland

Check out Shyda's in Lebanon, they have a large selection.

(Lancaster County)

Trop is the most expensive in the area I found and there is one guy there that just plain gets on my nerves. But they do have a good selection in most things. I have bought 2 pistols from Sportsman in New Holland and I like the service, one from Trop and just bought my Steyr M9 from Gander Mt in York. There is Mallins in Buck nice little shop but he moves at his own time, I hear he is a great gunsmith.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Lancaster County)

Backwood Outfitter is the best place to go for used stuff, in my opinion. Mallin's doesn't have a great selection, but their prices on used stuff is good. I bought a stainless Speed Six there a year ago, in near new condition, for $225. It even came with a Bianchi holster.

Trout Run Sports in Ephrata is also a very good shop. They have a great selection of both used & new.

(Lancaster County)

Travis, I took a run to Backwoods Oufitters today. Thanks for the lead Tom is a good guy and they do have a very nice clean selection of used guns at good prices. I will be doing some shopping there soon.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter 13
    Trop is the most expensive in the area I found and there is one guy there that just plain gets on my nerves. But they do have a good selection in most things. I have bought 2 pistols from Sportsman in New Holland and I like the service, one from Trop and just bought my Steyr M9 from Gander Mt in York. There is Mallins in Buck nice little shop but he moves at his own time, I hear he is a great gunsmith.
    I do agree with you about Trop's, there is one guy there that is annoying, but there is also another guy there that is real friendly and woud do anything for ya. I bought three firearms directly from him and I won't deal with anyone else.

There is Troutrun up in Ephrata as well, but I wasn't a big fan there as if you're not a good ol' boy from the area, they won't even give you the time of day. At least thats the way it was when I went in.

Trop's I found had the best selection of anywhere I had been in the area.

(Lancaster County)

Yes Trop does have a couple of good guys to deal with and I agree about Trout Run. Check out Sportsman in New Holland. I just picked up a used but mint condition taurus PT908 there with 2 mags and a beamshot laser attached for $229.00. Nou as big a selection as tro but friendly and a pretty good selection about 3/4 as many as Trop.
    --------------------
    Wayne

---------------

(Lancaster County)

I just checked out Kinsey's Outdoors. Right near Trop off the Rheems/Elizabethtown exit of 283. Seems to have fair prices over all. I picked up a case of (1000 rounds) of Wolf .223 while I was there for $158.99 including tax. Nice people there that I dealt with
    --------------------
    Wayne

---------------

Can you get web site or phone numbers for these shops? I used to live in Harrisburg and been to Trops and Kinsey's. I don't normally buy anything at Trops because they are pricey.

Last week I picked up a slightly used M40 Steyr at Kinseys...my second Steyr pistol...they had that pistol along with another M40 for a while and the price tag was $400...I know most of the people that work at Kinsey's so I said to the older gentleman working that I bought a NIB Steyr for $250 and he said he would look into getting me a better deal...I paid $280 for it and was happy with the purchase. Don't be afraid to ask for a lower price...especially if you notice that the firearm has been there a while.

I really like Shyda's...they have some super prices. There is an older gentleman named Glenn in Palmyra that has some neat stuff too.

I shouldn't be giving you guys my hot spots...I always find great deals and normally I won't pass up on a great deal.

(Lancaster County)

Backwoods Outfitters
    2421 Ironville Pike
    Columbia, PA 17512
    717-684-2017

Sportsman's Shop
    101 W Main St # 1
    New Holland, PA 17557
    (717) 354-4311
    --------------------
    Wayne

---------------

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast