Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Gun shops in area - deal with three looking for others

About Trout Run. My buddy used to work there when Glenn Rule owned it. Then it was the place to go to. Glenn knew how to price his merchandise. I bought a lot of firearms there. His prices were always good. But when he sold it to Greg, the business went downhill from there. It's not the same place anymore. Not much of a selection of anything.
    A friend of mine got me going to Bob Enck's. He bought a couple of AK's from Bob. I was looking for a SA in .45 Colt. He suggested that I go there. When I finally found the place I never went back to Trout Run. Bob's a fair guy to deal with. I've bought and traded firearms with him ever since. Just the other week I bought a RC 98K that was made by the same manufacturer who made my SA-42. Gustloff Werke.
    My buddy and I were at the York gunshow today and Bob had most of the prices beat. Used to be you could get a good deal at the shows. But no more. I'll give my business to Bob. Although I did get a Ciener 22LR conversion kit for my .45 auto. I wasn't going to buy one but I thought that since the conversion units are getting hard to find and undoubtably will rise in price, I bit the bullet and bought one from the only guy in the entire show who had any. Well, there was a guy who had a Colt Ace but I didn't want to spend $500 for a conversion unit. I wasn't looking for a collector's item. With the rising cost of ammo, I'll be shooting a whole lot more .22LR.
    Anybody who is smart will buy a conversion unit for his Glock, AR15, or .45. They're going to get more expensive and scarce in the future.

I have found the best service/prices to be at Trout Run in Ephrata and Backwoods in Columbia. The guy I worked with at Trout Run matched an internet price I found after I called him about gunsmith work, he asked if he could match or beat the price, would I get it from him. They also have been very helpful in answer questions about all sorts of things. Trout Run does not have much selection for new guns, but they can get great prices on anything you want them to order. They deal mostly with used stuff.

The people at Backwoods are very friendly and informative.

Tropp has an excellent selection of new and used, but they're prices are just silly and ridiculously high. Kinsey's selection wasn't all that great and their prices weren't that great either.

I didn't like the service I received when I went to Shyda's. The guy just didn't seem interested in helping me.

(Lancaster County)

My first visit and transaction with Trop's will also be my last. Whatever they may have boasted in the past, it is gone now. The complete lack of customer service and outright people skills totally negates any selection or deals they could possibly have. One of the bigger favors anyone in this area could do for the sporting/firearms community is not to patronize them. It is a mistake I will not repeat.

(Adams County)

If your gonna come all the way to York, you might as well stop at Stubby's. Support our own. FYI he's closed Sun-Mon-Tues.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Lancaster County)

Hi all just joined.
    First I want to say why are you guys busting on Trop? They are all my friends and they give me great service and deals. You should all appologize! NOT

Ok I agree with some of the stuff you guys say. I have got decent deals and they treat me like I have money...until they take it then they show me the door.

I buy from Kinseys and also Bass Pro Shop in Hbg. I recently got a real nice used Browning Gold Clays. It helped my smoke ratio on clays.

Other than that I have not sought others out but I thank you for the lists as I can try a few of them.

Cheers to all.

Jim

(Lancaster County)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know in the past that I have said good things about Kinsey's but today on the phone I was treated like I was speaking to the asses at Trop's by Dave Parker the GM. When they finally get around to calling me back about the Beretta AL2 that was delivered nd signed for there at 8:04 this morning by UPS and I pick it up it will be my last transaction with them. Actually said it was only my word that it was delivered this morning even though I had the UPS tracking and the emailo notice of delivery and signature from UPS. He said they may call me later today or this evening because they are busy and after all they are only providing me a courtesy by allowing me to use their FFL even though I pay for the courtesy. When I pay $40.00 for something I consider it more than a courtesy.

That said while I personally will give them no more business, Jim Snyder, Brad and a couple of the other employees are good people
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Lebanon County)

Thumbs up Re: Gun shops in area - deal with three looking for others

Hi guys, new to the forums but I just had to jump in when I saw Enck's mentioned. Awesome shop, great ppl and very hard to find better prices on guns or ammo. Everytime I go to a gunshow I complain that I can't find anyone that can beat Bob's prices on stuff. Also like some have mentioned if your in the area of Encks check out Richland shooter's supply. Not too far away and also have nice selection and great, helpful staff. As far as big chain stores, I havent seen Gander Mt. mentioned. I was at the harrisburg store recently and purchased two guns for my sons. The selection of stuff was really impressive and I thought the prices were pretty good on most items.

(Lancaster County)

I know I already posted this but...Encks is the best shop in the area hands down. By in the area I mean lancaster/lebanon/york. Everytime I go in there he has something new and cool to show me. And if you have a question, well just ask him. If it has anything to do with a gun or ammo he can answer it. And as far as ordering and prices, anytime I have evr been in there and I ask him for something and he doesn't have it, he will be on the computer and in 5 minutes have me a price and a date when it would be at the store. And in the area his prices are just about unbeaten....Not to mention that every time I have been in there he has treated me with respect and courtesy....Just as it should be.

That is all I have to say
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Berks County)

Another +1 for Encks...hell I come from Northern Berks to Encks....he has a nice shop....I haven't been there in a while....time for a trip!
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lebanon County)

If you get to Encks be sure to check out the Imbel FAL hanging from the rafter just inside the door. If I had the funds it wouldn't be there.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast