Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Gun shops in area - deal with three looking for others

Hello All,

Let me preface my comment by saying I'm not a gun snob. That being the case, I can't believe the looks from people I got from some idiots that work at some of the stores in the area. With the exception of Backwoods, when I tell someone I'm looking for a Highpoint, they all but laugh at me. Little do they know, I also want a Glock, an Ruger 22 cal plicker, and possibly a military surplus gun. Anyway, the guy in Backwoods seems nice. Their ammo prices aren't that great though. I went to Redding Hardware in Gettysburg and really liked the place. It's like an old time General Store and they have tons of guns. I mean guns all over the place when I went. They also had great prices. It's just a little far to get to. I've also bought my HP 995 at Enk's Gun Barn. The price was good, and service was good. I don't bother with Trops - their prices suck and some of the salespeople are idiots or gun snobs. I do like Gander Mountain in York. They've expanded their selection and seem to have better prices than most stores.

(Chester County)

anyone have a website or hours on trout run? thinking about heading there after work today if thyre open

(Lancaster County)

I dealt with Trop for 6 yrs and recently back in October I stop dealing with Trop because of Larry he is an idot, has no customer relations what so ever I have been there when he has sent several females out of the shop really mad my wife is one she refuses to deal with Trop because of him and he has no clue and the only reason he is still there is because the owner of the gun doesn't care about the business. And another thing about Larry is he doesn't and will not deal minorities I have seen him first hand ignore them or walk away until they decide leave or someone else helps them. And if you want a gun at good price from Trop see a guy there called MO he seems to not be able to sell guns without discounting them and if your one of his buddies they come first when the good stuff comes through the door. And if you still decide to go to Trop there are a couple of good guys there, Bob Evans, Steve P, Steve Bowers and Avery he is a good when it comes to military firearms. Larry and Avery are buds!!!!.... just ask Avery.

lager45,

(Lancaster County)

Tom, the owner of Backwoods Outfitters in Columbia is doing everything right. I don't know if he has any formal business training or if he just goes by good common sense, but he could write a textbook on how to run a small business. He is a very well-informaed gun dealer, and his staff people are HELPFUL, knowledgeable, and they all really put a high priority on providing outstanding customer service. His gun smith does excellent work, is friendly and helpful, and has very reasonable prices and turnaround times. My only regret is that I do not need to buy too much more stuff other than what I already have (except ammo and targets). Buying stuff in there is really a good experience all around. They don't just show you the things that are for sale, they teach the customer about shooting, how to choose products, how to get more training, common mistakes to avoid. Frankly, the way that they run that store is the way that ANY business should be run, but since so many businesses are poorly run (see comments above about a few of the shops near to Backwoods), the outstanding service at Backwoods really stands out. Their ammo prices might be a buck or two a box more than other places, but I can pay that and I will, and I will go there for ammo and targets, etc even if it is not on the way to my shooting range, because these guys and gal provide such good service that I want to make all my shooting-related purchases there. They do not have a web site, but they are listed in the phone book. I do not work there or anything like that, but man, I sure wish my workplace was filled with people who have the same attitude about providing customer service that the Backwoods crew has.

(Lancaster County)

Do not know if it was mentioned yet but Kerpers Gun Shop in Narvon and Also Encks gun barn. Heard and seen good prices from both of those places.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Bucks County)

definite +1 on enck's gun barn - i've bought alot of stuff there - very friendly and informative - new holland sportsman shop also very good prices and service - as for trout run, it's hit or miss - they're kinda pricey and alot of times when i go in to look and ask questions, they pretty much treat me like crap - like i'm stupid or not worth their time because i'm not buying anything - the reason i don't buy anything is because i don't like the way they treat people - i only go in because i work in the general area, lol.
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Lancaster County)

Anyone know what the deal is with Trout Run Sports?

They don't seem to keep very much shooting supplies in stock (empty shelves) and portions of the store are kind of disorganized. I hope they're not having problems...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NorLanCoRes View Post
    Anyone know what the deal is with Trout Run Sports?

They don't seem to keep very much shooting supplies in stock (empty shelves) and portions of the store are kind of disorganized. I hope they're not having problems...
    so another ephrata resident noticed our local gun shop isn't up to par, lol - seiously they didn't use to be this disorganized - everytime i go in, it gets worse...............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dwhite725 View Post
    so another ephrata resident noticed our local gun shop isn't up to par, lol - seiously they didn't use to be this disorganized - everytime i go in, it gets worse...............
    Agreed...I've been visiting Enck's. I'ts funny that Bob has most everything I'm looking for in that small place.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NorLanCoRes View Post
    Agreed...I've been visiting Enck's. I'ts funny that Bob has most everything I'm looking for in that small place.
    yeah, Enck's is one of my all time favorite gun shops and it seems like bob has everything packed in that little store - good organization and stuff hangin from the ceilings............ it's awesome, lol.
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast