Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taurus PT-22, thoughts?

Hey Guys,

Was at my LGS today, and the owner's wife wanted me to handle the Taurus PT-22.. I was asking about .22LR pistols and what they had, and she just wanted to show me this one because of how much she liked it herself. Anyways, I was surprised at my initial impressions of the gun because I actually liked it. I liked the feel, I liked the look, it felt reasonably well made.. I know that I typically have not cared for the Taurus models that I have held, but this one was better (in my opinion). Was wondering if any of you own this pocket pistol, and what you think about it? Thought it might be a fun gun to shoot, and maybe something the wife could throw in her purse (I doubt I could get her to carry anything else). The ones she had at the shop were the woodgrain handles with gold colored safety/etc.. I do not like the plain black ones very much personally. She has them marked at $249.00

Thoughts? Concerns (with the gun, not the fact that it's a .22 caliber)? Likes? Dislikes?

Thanks!

Default Re: Taurus PT-22, thoughts?

I bought one used back in 2006. I had to return it to Taurus for a broken firing pin. it was fixed free of charge. they wrote a note telling me to only use standard velocity 22lr. so be cautious on ammo selection.

however I do like the pistol. I don't shoot it much but would probably carry as a ultra last ditch effort in a life or death situation.

ETA: Mags are hard to find and the trigger is super heavy. Im not sure if the pistol is intended to be loaded by racking the slide, but loading on in the chamber (via tip up barrel) is a nice feature.

You could spend more and get the Beretta version, but why?
    Last edited by em2b96p; January 10th, 2013 at 03:13 AM.

(Monroe County)

Women loves these as you found out yourself, they are not bad guns and Taurus has stepped up on the quality control issues with them.

THey also come in Pink, $249 seem to be the going price everywhere, the grips on them are nice as you found out yourself.
    As you know they are a copy of the Beretta model 21A which i own and like very much.

just be sure to let your wife put a few boxes of ammo through it before carrying it.

(Cumberland County)

Wayyyyyyyy too much cash for junk. You can get a Beretta for that price, you'd be much better off doing that.

(Allegheny County)

Does the PT-22 have an extractor?

I ask as I know the Berretta 21A that I had did not, which meant stick to hotter .22LR and keep it clean to insure the emp case blows outta there. That chamber gets too dirty - no ejection of the empty.

And shop around for a used 21A - I couldn't practically give mine away as they have no respect as used guns.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lancaster County)

The pt-22 was the first pistol I purchased for my wife. It was finicky with ammunition and a piece broke internally. It has been a while, but I remember it was a plastic buffer type piece that was attached to the front of the slide under the barrel. The gun went in for repair at my LGS. Then I sold it at a gunshow and bought her a Bodyguard .380. I also bought a Beretta Tomcat (similar concept but in .32 acp) It runs like a champ!

I did not actually know that it was a copy of a Beretta, which I would highly prefer.. Thanks guys!

(Delaware County)

Like said earlier , its sort of a copy of a beretta bobcat, but with a DAO trigger and one extra round capacity.

They are pretty lookin' , but the quality of the PT-22 can be hit or miss, and I say this as someone who defends Taurus as making some good guns, and who has improved a lot over the years. I think its the overall design of the original PT-22. I can't say the same about the Poly version.

Also to note, the DAO trigger on the Pt-22 is pretty heavy.

Usually the PT-22 sells for $200 or less, but for $250, I would rather spend the extra $50 to $60 and get a Beretta 21a.

Quote Originally Posted by theyoungone View Post
    Like said earlier , its sort of a copy of a beretta bobcat, but with a DAO trigger and one extra round capacity.

They are pretty lookin' , but the quality of the PT-22 can be hit or miss, and I say this as someone who defends Taurus as making some good guns, and who has improved a lot over the years. I think its the overall design of the original PT-22. I can't say the same about the Poly version.

Also to note, the DAO trigger on the Pt-22 is pretty heavy.

Usually the PT-22 sells for $200 or less, but for $250, I would rather spend the extra $50 to $60 and get a Beretta 21a.
    Agreed.. i have not been impressed with Taurus thus far.. but this little cricket had me curious.. thanks for your help

(Montgomery County)

I had one and it jammed a lot. I really tried to warm up to it as I thought it was a neat little pistol, but it just didn't happen. Sold it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast