Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Harrisburg 23JAN2013 - Part 2 - ACTION!!

I know that at least some of the Ceasefire people attempted to meet with Legislators because two of them walked into one of the offices (Andrew Dinniman) that I was calling on. I've forgotten their names, but they appeared to have known the Legislative aid whom I was talking with.

We ended up having a good/civil discussion for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure we convinced them entirely about our rights for having whatever type of gun we feel is appropriate, but nevertheless we listened to their opinions, exchanged ideas, and ultimately they invited us to join in a broader discussion with them at a later date.

Timing is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    I talked to one represenative from delaware county, he was pretty firm on his belief that we don't need "assault rifles".

I talked to Senator Mike Waugh since he is from my district, He pretty much confirmed that he fully supports second amendment rights and is an NRA member. He does not believe that any gun control will pass at the state level and said we should be concerned about the federal government

Stopped at my represenatives office, Ron Miller, I really wanted to discuss the preemtion violation by Springfield Township since that is where his office is and the township solicitor which I believe he is closley related to told me the signs would be removed but they have not. I left a not for him so maybe I will hear something. He is pro gun so I also left some info about Metcalfe new legislation

Does anyone know if the Ceasefire went and talked to anyone? I saw them getting on the bus right after they finished their speeches so I did not think they went around ad talked to people

Quote Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
    I was restrained when I was in line to check my firearm and some loony elderly liberal woman passed me in the crowd and told me that my Constable jacket and patch was not real and to remove my jacket at once. I replied that I would do no such thing and just stared at her. She then commented that she didn't understand why so many people needed to carry guns to the Capitol and I replied that she was in the 38th most dangerous city in the country and that she has never been safer in her life as she was at that moment surrounded by so many law abiding armed citizens. Useless fucktard. If my fingers weren't so numb from being in the cold I would have gotten her on video.

Great hanging out with you all.
    Nice meeting you today, I was with the group holding the large Gadsden flag and take them flag on the lower level during the CFPA rally. ( i was not one of the holders but the guy with the large beard and blue polo shirt).

Our small group had an individual in a psychodelic sheet covering thing confront us while we were holding the flags, and get a bit standoffish at the end of the CF rally. He was fairly quiet, but his body language made the capitol police move in a bit closer to him. He was standoffish in his words, but we remained polite and thanked him for his opinion. there was about 5 highschool guys following with him who had a lot of questions for us. they asked why we needed high cap mags, and asked how quick a small cap mag could be changed. the one young man said he had seen his uncle change the magazine in his shotgun so fast that he made 2 more shots after the first two on a clay bird before it hit the ground. they seemed to open up and see that magazine capacity would do nothing to prevent crime based upon the va tech and columbine.

they asked a lot of questions about "assault rifles" and I corrected them that a recent request proposal by the DHS calls for a number of new "defense rifles" and proceeds to describe a select fire M4 type rifle. they asked if we werent concerned with dead kids and we expressed that we, in fact, were very sorrowful for their deaths, but that murder will happen regardless of the weapon. I asked them if, in a scenario, where guns were never invented, they thought murder would never happen. they pondered it and said that they figured the criminals would just use knives or a hammer if there was no such thing as guns. They seemed to be open to thinking about it and also seemed as though a light went on with them. I also challenged them to do a little homework.

"I am on the gun side obviously, so dont take my word for it. but go home and google a .30-06, a very common PA deer rifle cartridge and compare it to the .223 that is shot out of a defense rifle. you will see that the guns they want to ban as being the most powerful gun available is tiny compared to a typical hunting round."

i dont know if it did anything, but they did seem to have a change of tune after taking to us. like they were told we were evil and after taking to us they seemed a bit interested and less wary.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Island_Boy View Post
    I'm curious, did many people get a chance to talk with their legislators? I talked with a number of legislative aids and one legislator. I also received a nice message of support from John Lawrence.

I would be interested in hearing how some of those discussions went.
    One of the representatives we met with said my rep, Dick Stevenson, was in caucus, and she actually took me there, went in and told him someone was there to see him, and he came out to speak with me for a few minutes. that was nice. He seems to be a good 2A supporter. However, he thought that no anti-gun laws would pass this year, but with the current climate, passing any pro-gun laws would be unlikely too. I appreciate his support, but was disappointed by his lack of enthusiasm. Oh well, I guess we can't all have Daryl Metcalfe as a rep (he's in the district next door to mine).

Quote Originally Posted by libertyof76 View Post
    I was the guy holding the door with a giant black beanie on. She definitely said it was a scary jacket. Like you said, she is only motivated by fear- of the unknown and based on what the media is telling her.

It was a great time to see so many brave the elements, and drive ourselves (or get rides), and pay for our own lunches. Unlike some protestors (*cough*CeaseFire*cough*)

Oh and the online stuff Ive found has said 250 for both groups, so that's at least fair.
    thanks for the edification, like I said I was so damn cold I wasn't on top of my mental game

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I'm surprised - the Post Gazette didn't do their usual hack job. This isn't bad.

Both sides of gun debate rally in Harrisburg
    January 23, 2013 3:06 pm

By Laura Olson / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

HARRISBURG -- Dueling demonstrations at the state Capitol today aired two sides of the debate over regulating firearms that has grown louder since state lawmakers returned to session.

On the Capitol steps this morning, about 150 people stood amid temperatures in the mid-teens as speakers organized by a group called Pennsylvania Responsible Citizens urged active opposition to any new gun laws being crafted in response to the school shooting Newtown, Conn.

"We seek to remind our legislators and our citizens that the Second Amendment is not about hunting or sports or any other misleading notion," said Bob Sklar, of Philadelphia, who pointed to the amendment's "shall not be infringed" phrasing as strong protection for gun ownership.

State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, R-Cranberry, told the crowd that he has introduced House Bill 357 -- the number alluding to a type of handgun, drawing cheers and chuckles.

His measure would require the new attorney general, Democrat Kathleen Kane, to intervene against any federal gun-control efforts.

"Holding on to your liberty is going to take eternal vigilance," Mr. Metcalfe said. "We cannot rest because the liberals who want to take away your freedom will not rest."

A noontime rally held inside by CeaseFirePA drew a similarly sized crowd, with some attendees holding pictures of relatives who were killed by gunfire.

"I'm tired of watching children die," said Mary Beth Hacke, whose 14-month-old son, Ryan, was killed by a stray bullet in Homestead in 1997. "How many of our children do we have to bury before action is taken to reduce this epidemic of gun violence that is sweeping across the commonwealth?"

As she and others spoke -- including other mothers who lost sons to gun violence and a Philadelphia deputy mayor whose father was shot in front of him as a child -- some participants from the morning gun-rights rally held pro-Second Amendment signs and watched.

State Rep. Dan Frankel, a Democrat from Squirrel Hill, said lawmakers are organizing a "PA Safe Caucus" to work on "an adequate response" to the recent shootings.

"All of us have to come together to find common-sense solutions that respects the individual liberties of all while at the same time advancing safety and protection for every single Pennsylvanian," Mr. Frankel said.

Meanwhile, the Senate Judiciary Committee this morning gave an initial endorsement to a resolution that would create a task force looking at the causes of gun violence, with a particular emphasis on preventative steps related to mental-health services.

"We're never going to stop them all, but we can certainly stop a major part of them if we go to the causes," said Sen. Stewart Greenleaf, a Montgomery County Republican.
    Harrisburg bureau chief Laura Olson: lolson@post-gazette.com or 717-787-4254.
    First Published January 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2Ir8LmGDC

(Lancaster County)

I was at the rally today and was happy to be there with a friend (libertyof76) and two carpoolers.

I had an opportunity to stand outside and listen to all the speakers. They were all phenomenal. I wish they had all articulated their name, though. We all knew Darryl Metcalfe. It was cold, there were many hearty souls, and we roughly matched the CeaseFire PA people who were standing and not munching. They had lots of cameras, a big screen TV, and a speaker rig in the East Wing "rotunda" where they stage press conferences. Harrisburg Mayor Linda Thompson was there representing MAIG. A perfect specimen she is.

It's all pretty indicative of what Bloomberg's millions will buy: buses, butts on seats, box lunches, and t-shirts. The emotionalism is fake, tiresome, and they require people to tell what's what to gin up support. Many of the small "debates" from the anti- people were all talking points fed to them by their masters. They had some slick signs and palm cards.

Yes, I heard the back and forth in the secured area between the old lady and the constable with the scary jacket. Nice going. I was trying not to laugh. Everything was very civil and we all had a few laughs. It seemed as though they raided the synagogues to get the 70 year olds out in droves. Lots of white heads. It was a little sad to see older Jewish folks shilling for gun control when we all know how that turned out earlier in history.

I was able to meet with both my state rep and state senator. This is Lancaster County, so both were solidly pro-gun. Our state rep is a freshman (we had quite a house cleaning with our county house delegation recently) and Sen. Lloyd Smucker has been in for a few years and can see how the "game" works. My longest conversation was with Sen. Smucker. I did not have an appointment and he invited me into his office, closed the door, and we had a good 15 minute discussion. He did not seem convinced that any new gun laws would prevent any mass shootings and I also discussed why banning hi cap mags is a silly idea and why private sales should stick. Honestly, though, I think it's worth investigating opening up NICS to individuals for private sales but that's a topic for another thread.

I was very impressed with the decorum shown by both sides, actually. The anti-gun folks were quiet, though there were a few "mouthy" old ladies. I think most came for the free lunch and the trip from the urban setting. Welcome to Harrisburg.

I'll be out again in April.
    Last edited by DoubleBarrels; January 23rd, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: Harrisburg 23JAN2013 - Part 2 - ACTION!!

let me tell you all that attended that i'm proud to call you friends and brothers standing up for our freedoms . I apologize and feel really bad that I was unable to attend for multiple reasons but i hope to make the next one.
    I THANK YOU ALL FOR ATTENDING

(Westmoreland County)

I was a very proud gun owner and firearms enthusiast today! It was nice getting a change to meet some new people and rally for such a great cause.

My friend Josh and I along with our small group tried our best to make our voices heard. I held a 'Come And Take It' flag and Josh held his 'Don't Tread On Me' flag directly behind the CeaseFirePA crowd. I sure hope it made a great backdrop for this pictures and videos! We also held up the banners down in the Rotunda and spoke with some anti's.

http://photos.pennlive.com/patriot-n...p_gun_v_7.html

I look forward to getting more involved with gun rallies in the future.

Big thanks to the organizers of this rally!
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Armstrong County)

It was good seeing you at the rally, Hope to see you again on the 23rd of April
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
    I was a very proud gun owner and firearms enthusiast today! It was nice getting a change to meet some new people and rally for such a great cause.

My friend Josh and I along with our small group tried our best to make our voices heard. I held a 'Come And Take It' flag and Josh held his 'Don't Tread On Me' flag directly behind the CeaseFirePA crowd. I sure hope it made a great backdrop for this pictures and videos! We also held up the banners down in the Rotunda and spoke with some anti's.

http://photos.pennlive.com/patriot-n...p_gun_v_7.html

I look forward to getting more involved with gun rallies in the future.

Big thanks to the organizers of this rally!
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

there have been a lot of people who have said this group has gone down hill. today i say i am proud to be a member. thank you to everyone who took action today.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast