Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Response from Senator Casey - prepare for disappointment

Dear Mr. afdcomposer:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On December 19, 2012, President Obama announced the formation of an inter-agency task initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to study these issues and recommend possible actions. I look forward to reviewing these proposals, as well to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator

P.S. If you would like to respond to this message, please use the contact form on my website: http://casey.senate.gov/contact/

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Response from Senator Casey - prepare for disappointment

I just received the same response from the spineless traitor to our country.

I got the same response and contacted him immediately telling him that the Second Amendment was never meant for hunting or target shooting. And further, it is highly disturbing if he swore an oath to the Constitution yet does not comprehend this simple fact of why the 2A is in place.

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Centre County)

Disappointed

I got right back on and let him know that his oath was to uphold the Constitution, this means the 2A which prevents tyranny, not the 2A which allows for duck hunting.

That was possibly the dumbest response I have ever received.

Let them know!
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Allegheny County)

... I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare.

Interesting. He even acknowledges that it wasn't "the gun" in this text.

Fucking piece of shit "pro-gun" democrat.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Sent my response to him. Not going to change his mind, hope he enjoys his last term.

Senator Casey,

I read your position regarding the banning assault weapons and hi-cap magazines on a very popular 2nd amendment forum here in PA. You seem to be under the impression that the only reason why we support the 2nd amendment is to shoot paper targets and hunt, that could not be farther from the truth.

What makes you think keeping law abiding citizens from these types of self-loading rifles and magazines will prevent criminals from using them? I voted for you, I'll make sure I nor anyone that I know never make that mistake again.

Sincerely,
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Bucks County)

Commucrats that say they believe in the 2A say it only to get elected.
    They lie, they lie always.
    They make their victory speech, go to their office laugh like hell and say
    SUCKAHHHHS!!!
    If you really really care about your guns, NEVER vote Commucrat.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Cumberland County)

Same response as everyone else, and I too wrote back my disappointment and asked if he really thought the second amendment was put in place to protect fishing and hunting. Need to flood this guy with emails and letters and then do a better job next time getting him out of office!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast