Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Put together an AR pistol

Just finished assembling my AR pistol and had to show it off. I picked up the lower from a forum user last Saturday. It's an Anvil Arms lower with an Ace buffer tube. The lower is stamped "Registered Pistol" and it was transferred as such to avoid any potential issues with the ATF. Model 1 sales upper 7.5" chrome lined barrel and I threw a cheap red dot on there for the time being. Pictured next to my LE6920 for size comparison. I have a Phase 5 winter trigger guard, Hogue grip, and a 7" FF quad rail on the way that will cover the barrel all the way to the muzzle brake. I've wanted one for a while and decided to piece on together before it's too late. Can't wait to shoot this thing!

Anyone else have an AR pistol? I'd like to see some pics!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Put together an AR pistol

Im a sucker for AR pistols...built two now and debating a third....

Ill find some pictures...nice build, now go shoot it!!!

(Mercer County)

Here's mine I built a couple of months ago. Model 1 7.5 upper on an Anderson lower .
    Attached Images Attached Images

(York County)

Do AR pistols have to have 7.5 inch barrel? Are there any legality issues if you wanted to build one with a 9 or 10 inch barrel with standard carbine length hand guards?

The 7.5 inch ones looks like there isn't much to hold on to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    Do AR pistols have to have 7.5 inch barrel? Are there any legality issues if you wanted to build one with a 9 or 10 inch barrel with standard carbine length hand guards?

nope i have a 7.5inch and 10 inch the lower is what makes it a pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post

What svickstc said...

I believe you can purchase as short as a 6.5" barrel and as long as you desire. The 6.5" minimum isn't a legal requirement, but go any shorter and accuracy will suffer along with more muzzle flash. I didn't want to go shorter than 7.5" for those reasons. As far as something to hold onto, I believe it is common to just grip the front of the magwell. I'm going to put on a FF barrel shroud that extends to the muzzle break to provide just as much grip area as a carbine.

The lower receiver, though physically identical to a carbine receiver, is what makes it a legal pistol. The lower receiver must have never been previously registered as a rifle receiver. Once a receiver is registered as a rifle, it is illegal to use it on a pistol. You can legally use a generic stripped lower on a pistol as long as it has been registered as a pistol through its entire lifespan. Or, you can do one better, like I did, and purchase a lower that was stamped "Registered Pistol" by the manufacturer. This helps remove any doubt should the ATF come knocking. You can use a pistol lower to build a rifle, but once this is done, it can never again be configured as a pistol. All pistols must have a fixed pistol buffer tube. Install any type of fixed or adjustable stock and it becomes an SBR. Install a vertical foregrip and it becomes an AOW. As long as you don't break any of these rules, barrel length is a non-issue, and the weapon can be carried concealed and loaded if you possess a LTCF.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    nope i have a 7.5inch and 10 inch the lower is what makes it a pistol...
    Sweet, I might put one together if this gun control bull crap blows over.

Have another question though. When you guys bought your uppers did you have to pay an extra $200 nfa tax?

I saw on a lot of websites selling the 10.5 inch uppers for pistols they state "All NFA RULES APPLY"

(Mercer County)

A stripped virgin lower is not registered as anything but a receiver when you buy it. It is neither rifle nor pistol.

(Cumberland County)

Very nice - congratulations! I built mine a couple months ago. A nice mag well grip helps out with the short 7.5" upper My buddie just built his today - we're taking them out this weekend ! Enjoy yours ! Build 'em and buy 'em while you can.

(Mercer County)

No on the NFA tax,NFA Rules Apply means you cant go putting a pistol upper on a rifle lower without sbr'ing it first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast