Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Pistol shooting alone on private property as a minor?

My question is only because I'm a minor at 14 with law related acceptances on fire arms due to being a hunter, range shooter, competition shoots, accepted saftey courses., ect. Now to my question my parent would like to get me .22 rim fire pistol. Now when I say get me, I know that's illegal and I don't aprove but I mean in my mothers name in my safe kind of deal, on the property shooting only. And since I have a home range would that be acceptable? Are there any circumstances to the related issue or thing I have to do to be able to do that? Or is it a simple yes? All awnsers are appreciated thank you for your time.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Pistol shooting alone on private property as a minor?

I can't cite any law but I would think you are ok as long as you have supervision by your parents or another adult that has a license to carry firearms. She can not let you have it on your own until you are 18.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Pistol shooting alone on private property as a minor?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulbleeder1414 View Post
    My question is only because I'm a minor at 14 with law related acceptances on fire arms due to being a hunter, range shooter, competition shoots, accepted saftey courses., ect. Now to my question my parent would like to get me .22 rim fire pistol. Now when I say get me, I know that's illegal and I don't aprove but I mean in my mothers name in my safe kind of deal, on the property shooting only. And since I have a home range would that be acceptable? Are there any circumstances to the related issue or thing I have to do to be able to do that? Or is it a simple yes? All awnsers are appreciated thank you for your time.
    It's a simple "no" to target shooting alone as a minor.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor

(a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

(b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
    (1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or
    (2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).

(c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.

(d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.