Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default If You Voted For This Gun-Grabbing SOB In The Past......

may I strongly suggest, you never do so again.

Here's a letter I just received from Casey's office in reply to my request that he oppose Senator Feinstein's proposed, Draconian assault weapon ban.

Dear Mr. S:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On December 19, 2012, President Obama announced the formation of an inter-agency task initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to study these issues and recommend possible actions. I look forward to reviewing these proposals, as well to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator

P.S. If you would like to respond to this message, please use the contact form on my website: http://casey.senate.gov/contact/
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Northampton County)

Default Re: If You Voted For This Gun-Grabbing SOB In The Past......

semi autos are not military weapons.... any ban is a dirrct violation to our rights. we all need to go to the march at the capital on the 23rd. this guy is a quck if he thinks these bans will stop anything, they wont!!!!! everyone keep calling and writing make it clear this wont do anything and he will never be elected again!!!! bring up the fact shootings and crime went up in 94 ban
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sent the response to my 2A friends.

Bob Casey, Bad for America.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Allegheny County)

I received the same message from him, and I responded expressing my disappointment with his response, and that I will be working to see that he is defeated in the next election.

I also asked him how he can call himself a strong supporter of the second amendment and support an assault weapons ban and magazine size restrictions. I see these two statements as mutually exclusive.

(Luzerne County)

I sent a letter to my representatives including Casey. The reply from Senator Toomey was a typical politician's non-committal, non-answer response and was, frankly, disappointing. Toomey did NOT say whether he would or would not support a new gun ban. I was expecting more from him.

This is the letter I wrote:
    Hello. I am a retired New Jersey State Trooper and strongly oppose Senator Feinstein's proposed "assault weapon" ban that she has indicated she will introduce in the Senate in January.
    Having spent most of my adult life as a law enforcement officer in a state with very strict gun laws AND an existing assault weapon ban, I can speak with authority when I say that such laws do nothing to prevent or curb violent criminal acts like the murder of those innocent school children in Connecticut. Ironically, Connecticut too has an existing assault weapon ban that has been in force since 1993. All these laws accomplish is to punish law-abiding citizens by putting onerous conditions on their right to own the firearms of their choice. These people and the weapons they own are not who should be targeted with ever more restrictive laws. The tools of the criminal are not the problem; it's the criminals themselves that need to be targeted and better controlled.
    If we as a nation and you as our elected representative are serious about preventing tragedies like the Connecticut school shooting, you should be working to put trained, armed personnel in our schools, "hardening" our school campuses with proven protective measures like the security fences which have been used so successfully in Israel, and making serious changes to how we treat those mentally ill individuals who have been identified as dangerous to themselves or others. Arming professional school resource officers, hardening school campuses, and making it easier to involuntarily commit dangerous mental patients (something that has become virtually impossible to do today), these are the plans we should be implementing because they will have an actual effect on limiting future tragedies. This is in contrast to laws that attempt to control the madman's tool rather than the madman himself like the previous failed Federal assault weapon ban in the middle of which we suffered the Columbine tragedy.

In closing, I strongly urge you to oppose Senator Feinstein's and all other proposed legislation that would restrict, in any way, the right of law-abiding citizens to own any firearms that they are currently able to own. My family, my friends, and I are passionately opposed to any such measures and we vote based on this passion.
    Thank you for your time and God bless the United States of America.

(Chester County)

Only three words come to mind. Piece of sh!#

I got the same letter. He can go screw himself.

(Allegheny County)

Just sent him an email asking him to change his mind. For what it's worth I guess.

(Luzerne County)

He'll change his mind when he dies and is reincarnated as a conservative, i.e., never.