Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Fayette County)

Thumbs down PICS put me in "Undetermined Status"

I know I haven't been around in a while, I was out of the country for almost a year.

Well, I came back to the US December 14th and decided it was time to get my PA LTCF.

The following Monday I went down to the local Sheriffs office, filled out the application. The clerk said I was put into "research". No problem, I kind of expected that. I returned after 15 days and she said PICS put me into "undetermined status" and she couldn't tell me anything other than that.

Here's my predicament. I have NEVER been denied a firearm purchase in all the other states I have lived in (I have not yet bought a firearm in PA).

What I think is holding me up is when I was 16 (1995) in Baltimore city, I was charged as an adult for "carrying a concealed handgun and possession of paraphernalia".

The paraphernalia charge was dropped at arraignment and the concealed handgun charge was sent to juvenile court and I was NEVER convicted. Was given "probation before judgment" and I successfully completed the probation.
    I know the carrying a concealed handgun as a minor sounds bad, but hey, growing up in Baltimore city you do what you have to to survive.

Never even had a speeding ticket since then and I have never been convicted of a crime in my entire life.

Also, according to 6105 PA state law:
    (b) Enumerated offenses.
    6110.1 Possession if firearms by minors

However section 6105(c) part 8, says that "This prohibition shall terminate after 15 years of adjudication or the person turns 30 years of age, which ever comes first."

Im now 33 years old.

So, my question is, whats my next step? Someone told me I have to fill out a challenge form, but I was under the impression that a challenge form is only for PICS denials.

Any suggestions? Or do I have to wait until the PA state police get records from MD, showing that I have no prohibitions?
    Last edited by Ricochet; January 8th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli