Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Fayette County)

Default Re: PICS put me in "Undetermined Status"

Well, tomorrow will be 53 days since I applied. I have not yet gotten a "denial letter" from the SP in the mail.

So hopefully, tomorrow when I go to the Sheriffs office they will approve my LTCF.

Here's my question. The Sheriffs office has 45 days to approve or deny, correct? How does that work exactly? Do they call PICS back up ? If they do and Im still in an undetermined status, can the SO still issue the LTCF?

I appreciate everyone's help !
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Federal background checks are more time consuming when you leave the country for any length of time. I work in the Nuclear field, and many contractors that work abroad take excessive time for clearance due to the process. many countries processes vary from the USA, so there are various checks and rechecks that need to be verified and accepted before your background verification is complete.
    Just an idea, but naturally your criminal history doesn't score high marks in the investigation either. So it could be a combination of factors.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    Federal background checks are more time consuming when you leave the country for any length of time. I work in the Nuclear field, and many contractors that work abroad take excessive time for clearance due to the process. many countries processes vary from the USA, so there are various checks and rechecks that need to be verified and accepted before your background verification is complete.
    Just an idea, but naturally your criminal history doesn't score high marks in the investigation either. So it could be a combination of factors.
    Its the state giving me a hard time because when I got back I bought a Polish under-folder AK in West Virginia where they just use NICS and I was approved just fine.

I guess I'll have to go in to the Sheriffs office on Monday and see what the hell is going on.
    I still never received a denial from the state police, so I dont know where I stand. Its now been 57 days.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Its the state giving me a hard time because when I got back I bought a Polish under-folder AK in West Virginia where they just use NICS and I was approved just fine.

<snip>
    Something else is afoot here. I used to do a ton of travelling to clients via car, bought 2 rifles out of state last year. They just used NICS.

Only hard time was in Ohio, as they notify your friendly local sheriff. So I had to have them ship the rifle to a PA FFL instead of tossing it in he car.

And I never had an issue before or since with PICS buys.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Something else is afoot here. I used to do a ton of travelling to clients via car, bought 2 rifles out of state last year. They just used NICS.

Only hard time was in Ohio, as they notify your friendly local sheriff. So I had to have them ship the rifle to a PA FFL instead of tossing it in he car.

And I never had an issue before or since with PICS buys.
    The only thing afoot are the rules that PICS abides by. More specifically 6105.
    And because I was charged (never convicted) as a juvenile.

The federal law doesn't prohibit me from buying a firearm, therefor NICS passes me every time.

States that only use NICS (like AZ) to issue a CHL, I will be approved for that as well.

But because PA wants to be difficult, and use PICS I am getting the run-around.

My only question really is, I thought that the SP and the Sheriff had 45 days to approve or deny the LTCF?
    What if that 45 days passes and I haven't gotten a denial letter from the SP, does the Sheriff have to give me my LTCF?

The only thing afoot are the rules that PICS abides by. More specifically 6105.
    And because I was charged (never convicted) as a juvenile.

The federal law doesn't prohibit me from buying a firearm, therefor NICS passes me every time.

States that only use NICS (like AZ) to issue a CHL, I will be approved for that as well.

But because PA wants to be difficult, and use PICS I am getting the run-around.

My only question really is, I thought that the SP and the Sheriff had 45 days to approve or deny the LTCF?
    What if that 45 days passes and I haven't gotten a denial letter from the SP, does the Sheriff have to give me my LTCF?

I have a very similar situation. I am currently waiting for a result from the "undetermined" status. How did your's work out?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SecurityGuy View Post
    I have a very similar situation. I am currently waiting for a result from the "undetermined" status. How did your's work out?
    The poster is still around, but the post is almost 5 years old. You may be waiting a bit for a reply...

(Berks County)

I had something similar a couple years ago now. What happens with old arrest cases is there records only indicate the initial charges and not the results. At a certain point these records are archived somewhere else. When the state police request the court results they set a time limit to get a response and if they dont get it within that time limit, you automatically get denied. I kept going round circle with appeals with this. Everytime I put in an appeal they would restart the process and again not get the records back within the time frame etc etc etc. Took me near a year to get straightened out.

(Fayette County)

Wow, this thread is must be the post of Christmas past!

Mine got approved after about 22 days.
    They called me, and I went up there and had my picture taken and was out the door in 10 minutes.

Since that was 5 years ago, I never get delayed now when buying firearms. I used to get delayed all the time.
    I dont know if its related, but after the delay getting my LTCF its nothing but smooth sailing. Maybe PICS puts a notation on your "file" or something.

But your post was a good reminder for me to get my LTCF renewed next month.
    I cant believe its been five years already.

(Bedford County)

The paraphernalia charge was immediately dropped as soon as I spoke to the judge two hours after getting arrested. There were NO drugs on my person (ever) and the paraphernalia was from a rolling paper wrapper that was , yes believe it or not just used from rolling tobacco.

Anyhow, I appreciate all the responses. I guess I'll have to fill out the challenge form and see how it works out.
    I have lived in some very anti-gun states and they never hassled me, I am just amazed that gun loving Pennsylvania would give me this much grief especially since I have never been convicted of any-thing in my life.
    I think PA is one of the easier states for liscenses, but they do make sure that you are not a liability from former crimes. While I realize that protecting your self in Baltimore is a legit concern, if I'm a judge and I saw that on a record, it would scream thug to me, no offense.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234