Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Thumbs down PICS put me in "Undetermined Status"

I know I haven't been around in a while, I was out of the country for almost a year.

Well, I came back to the US December 14th and decided it was time to get my PA LTCF.

The following Monday I went down to the local Sheriffs office, filled out the application. The clerk said I was put into "research". No problem, I kind of expected that. I returned after 15 days and she said PICS put me into "undetermined status" and she couldn't tell me anything other than that.

Here's my predicament. I have NEVER been denied a firearm purchase in all the other states I have lived in (I have not yet bought a firearm in PA).

What I think is holding me up is when I was 16 (1995) in Baltimore city, I was charged as an adult for "carrying a concealed handgun and possession of paraphernalia".

The paraphernalia charge was dropped at arraignment and the concealed handgun charge was sent to juvenile court and I was NEVER convicted. Was given "probation before judgment" and I successfully completed the probation.
    I know the carrying a concealed handgun as a minor sounds bad, but hey, growing up in Baltimore city you do what you have to to survive.

Never even had a speeding ticket since then and I have never been convicted of a crime in my entire life.

Also, according to 6105 PA state law:
    (b) Enumerated offenses.
    6110.1 Possession if firearms by minors

However section 6105(c) part 8, says that "This prohibition shall terminate after 15 years of adjudication or the person turns 30 years of age, which ever comes first."

Im now 33 years old.

So, my question is, whats my next step? Someone told me I have to fill out a challenge form, but I was under the impression that a challenge form is only for PICS denials.

Any suggestions? Or do I have to wait until the PA state police get records from MD, showing that I have no prohibitions?
    Last edited by Ricochet; January 8th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(York County)

Default Re: PICS put me in "Undetermined Status"

I think you just have to wait a little while until the ffl gets the "proceed". I'd give it a week max before making any calls. They are very right now so it may take longer than usual.

OP, are you SURE that you didn't also have a SUMMARY drug offense? If I recall correctly, that might be disqualifying for an LTCF, although it's legal for you to own a gun.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Bucks County)

This happened to me about 10 to 12 years ago. After about 2 weeks of waiting the FFL got the green light from PICS.

Now every single time I try to buy a gun, they have to get an actual operator on the phone, they can never get the computer generated approval without the operator. Not normally a big deal, but it does mean I've often had to wait an hour or so instead of the 2 to 5 minutes most people wait who can get the approval from the computer.

I think my problem is due to a guy with the same name and close date of birth who lives in Montgomery county when not in jail(and probably when in jail) who has been very bad in Bucks and Montgomery county.

(Butler County)

yea, just fill out your challenge form. I had to do that also when I bought a rifle a few years ago, took about 45 days total to get it cleared up. Now I have no problems buying any gun since then. I have no idea what the problem was.
    You are only here for a short while, make it fun

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I know I haven't been around in a while, I was out of the country for almost a year.

Well, I came back to the US December 14th and decided it was time to get my PA LTCF.

The paraphernalia charge was dropped at arraignment and the concealed handgun charge was sent to juvenile court and I was NEVER convicted. Was given "probation before judgment" and I successfully completed the probation.
    I know the carrying a concealed handgun as a minor sounds bad, but hey, growing up in Baltimore city you do what you have to to survive.

Never even had a speeding ticket since then and I have never been convicted of a crime in my entire life.

So, my question is, whats my next step? Someone told me I have to fill out a challenge form, but I was under the impression that a challenge form is only for PICS denials.

Any suggestions? Or do I have to wait until the PA state police get records from MD, showing that I have no prohibitions?

I had the same problem about 5 years ago. My application was not denined, but put into " undetermined status" That is good. They could have denined your application straightaway,, and then you would really have a problem.

Never apply logic into their decision process. Some clerk got your application, didn't like the PCIS response, and put your application into undermened. Don't get your feelings hurt . . . . . that is the way it is. You must realize that it may take several letters and phone calls, but you may get your permit.

In my case, the record researsed turned up something I did not know about. I could not get the state to tell me what their problem was. It is hard to defined yourself of something that you don't know about.

So what I did was to get the paperwork to challange the PCIS finding, what ever that was. I only had one incident that occured in 1960. So I assumed that was the problem, and filled out the application, saying that is the only thing that could be on my record.

They sent me a return letter saying that they were proceeding with my challange. They gave me the name and phone number of my case worker. She was very helpful and nice. But she said she had a 30 challanges that she was working on. I call her every week or every 2 weeks to check the status. Once I got her boss, he was very pleasant and said he would look into it. I finally got a reversal letter and my permit. But the overall time was over 2 months.

The problem is (at least in my estimation) that during the appeals process you may have to tell them the truth and details of what happened.

good luck

(Northampton County)

Carrying a concealed handgun and possession of drug paraphernalia at 16? WOW

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by 10PointHunter View Post
    Carrying a concealed handgun and possession of drug paraphernalia at 16? WOW

The paraphernalia charge was immediately dropped as soon as I spoke to the judge two hours after getting arrested. There were NO drugs on my person (ever) and the paraphernalia was from a rolling paper wrapper that was , yes believe it or not just used from rolling tobacco.

Anyhow, I appreciate all the responses. I guess I'll have to fill out the challenge form and see how it works out.
    I have lived in some very anti-gun states and they never hassled me, I am just amazed that gun loving Pennsylvania would give me this much grief especially since I have never been convicted of any-thing in my life.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Bucks County)

The sheriff has 45 days to approve or deny your application. I just went through this whole process and I am under the impression that you have to wait for a denial before you can file a challange. My application was put in research as soon as the PICS check done and it took almost the entire 45 days before I was notified by certified mail (as required by the law) of my denial. You need to be careful filling out the challange form, putting incorrect information on the form will open you up for arrest. You need to consult with someone that in very familiar with gun laws before you proceed with a challange to asure yourself you are not a denied person. Even after you file a challange it will take a while to get a final determination, took another 30 days for mine. When the final determination letter comes it will tell your exactly why you were denied or reverse the denial and give you a case number that you will need each and every time you get a PICS check from now on. You can PM me if you have any specific questions about what I just went through. I am not a lawyer but I did consult one during my process.
    Last edited by triumph_tech; January 9th, 2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Fat fingers

(Allegheny County)

hi all...new here and frustrated.Wife bought a pistol for me for christmas from online store.paid in full.Gift was recieved at my FFL and when i went to pick it up it took the dealer 45 mins -1 hour to get thru to pics.When he finally did he was irate at the difficulty.Then he told me he had bad news,and informed me he had reached an"operator" and i was put on a 15 day research list.Well today was 15 days and he informed me I was classified "undetermined".He gave me a challenge form for me to fill out.In 2011 i was arrestd in Ohio for driving recklessly and pled guilty,and in the 80s as a teenager was given some summary citations,nothing serious.If I get denied ,what are my options?My FFL has my 500$ gun that i want very badly and i dont know what options i have!! help!...btw...my wife passed a pics in 15 minutes!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast