Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Oh, the (personal) irony of the latest rush to buy guns .....

Throughout 2011, I used some extra cash to buy several firearms ranging from a variety of handguns to shotguns to AR's and AR parts that I used to build more AR's. I literally went from a one firearm family to a pretty well stocked safe inside of 12 months.

Before the end of the year, it had gotten to the point where the dollar amounts invested began to catch the eye of Mrs. adoddere. She came to me and "suggested" that maybe it was time to take a break from the firearms acquisition bonanza in which I had engaged. I eventually agreed to a moratorium on new acquisitions during 2012, thinking I would focus on optics, accessories and ammo, then come back to the hardware in 2013.

Of course, now that it's 2013, my household moratorium is gone, but so are the days of decent stock and prices at the gun dealers. Oh, the irony! I guess if theres' a silver lining, it's that most of the stuff I acquired in the past 2 years has (at least in the short term), soared in value and added to my collection's current paper value.

So, here I sit with the ability and authority to buy more guns, with very little to choose from on store shelves at any decent pricing. Just had to chuckle a little at my decision to push off new purchases and the different world in which we find ourselves today.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Oh, the (personal) irony of the latest rush to buy guns .....

I always told the miss's aka my girlfriend to not tell me how to spend my money...i guess its different being married, hence the "single" life for me

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    I always told the miss's aka my girlfriend to not tell me how to spend my money...i guess its different being married, hence the "single" life for me
    HA! I hear ya! In my case, it wasn't a matter of "can I" spend my money, just the price I'd have to "pay" to keep my sanity if I had not agreed to the temporary moratorium! At the time it seemed like a reasonable compromise, as I used my negotiated loophole to acquire a ton of optics, accessories and ammo during 2012. Seemed like a good idea at the time!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    HA! I hear ya! In my case, it wasn't a matter of "can I" spend my money, just the price I'd have to "pay" to keep my sanity if I had not agreed to the temporary moratorium! At the time it seemed like a reasonable compromise, as I used my negotiated loophole to acquire a ton of optics, accessories and ammo during 2012. Seemed like a good idea at the time!
    It does sound like you had a decent deal there, sounds like a good catch

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    I guess if theres' a silver lining, it's that most of the stuff I acquired in the past 2 years has (at least in the short term), soared in value and added to my collection's current paper value.
    So how many have you sold?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Yep.
    GF tell you to do shit(although, they try like hell), but you don't have to(although, if you wanna get some later, you might as well)
    Wife will tell you everything from how to spend her money(because you know whats her's is her's, and what you think is your's is still her's...) to how to take a piss.

You see, when you say "I do", what really happens is that the your actually handing your ballz over to her in a pickel jar.
    Then she promptly hides it somewhere where you'd never look - Presumeablly with her feminin products.

I'd rather have my wife and my kid over many guns anyday tho
    Last edited by Mity2; January 7th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    So how many have you sold?
    Not a single one. I "conveyed" an M&P 15 Sport and Sig Sauer P-250 "2-some" to my son, but otherwise, I'm holding everything I got. I didn't buy them as "investments," and I ain't selling.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post

I'd rather have my wife and my kid over many guns anyday tho
    Roger that. Good news is, with a little compromise, a man can have both!

(Allegheny County)

I've spread the majority of my catch up, needs type purchases over the last 4 years. I learned my lesson in 08. And got what I wanted as best I could over the last couple years.

As the rush started I looked at her, and expressed some weaknesses in her inventory of toys. At which point she drained the bank account, credit cards, and the last few paychecks playing catch up. Not really over paying for anything despite the rush. Which, is fairly remarkable. But there's no stopping a determined woman from out shopping a bunch of male gun owners.

She now walks past her box full of drums and cases of ammo and smiles every day.

Its bad when you have a woman that tries to control your spending on guns. But man... Its just as rough when they share the same addiction.