Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Concealed Carry Handgun with night shoot

3 Rivers Tactical Training Solutions, Inc. is offering a 1 day Concealed Carry Handgun Course on Saturday, March 9, 2013. The time is 0900 - 1900.

This course is designed to introduce and reinforce to students the techniques, tactics, and knowledge necessary for law abiding, concealed carry handgun owners to win a deadly force encounter they cannot avoid, and to avoid a deadly force encounter if at all possible.

Topics covered will be:

1) Firearms Safety Rules

2) Developing proper Situational Awareness

3) Concealed carry laws and liability concerns

4) 6 Fundamentals of Handgun Marksmanship

5) Reloads and malfunction clearing

6) Use of Cover and Concealment

7) Concealed carry handgun selection and gear recommendations

8) Night shoot exercise

Required Equipment:

1) Wrap-around eye protection. Ear protection - electronic ear protection strongly recommended. Baseball type hat.

2) A quality pistol or revolver. Pistols must be at least 9mm, revolvers must be at least a .38 special. Weapon mounted white lights are not required, but are highly recommended. If you are using a weapon mounted light, you must have a holster that accommodates the light.

3) A quality holster that maintains its shape after the handgun has been drawn. (Nylon and thin leather holsters that collapse when the handgun is drawn are not permited.) Kydex holsters are very strongly recommended. All holsters will be worn on the shooters strong side hip. Outside the Waist Band (OWB) holsters are required for this class. Quality kydex holsters made by manufacturers such as Raven Concealment Systems and Comp-Tac are very strongly recommended. Shoulder holsters, small of the back holsters, cross-draw holsters, fanny packs, and ankle holsters are not permitted.

4) A minimum of one spare magazine w/ belt worn mag pouch for pistol shooters. A minimum of one spare speed loader w/ belt worn speed loader pouch for revolver shooters. Bring as many spare magazines and speed loaders as you have - the more the better.

5) A high quality belt made to support the weight of a handgun, spare ammo, etc. The belt can be leather or a web style riggers-type belt. There are many good belt options out there - a $4.99 Made-In-Taiwan belt from Wal-Mart is not one of them.

6) 250 rounds of factory new or factory reloaded ammo.

7) A quality handheld flashlight. Preferably not a massive, 6 battery Maglite.

8) Clothing appropriate for weather conditions. BDU or cargo type pants with side pants pockets strongly recommended. Shoes or boots that lace.

9) A cover garment to conceal your handgun. A windbreaker type jacket (or something similar) that zippers up the front is perfect.

10) An open mind, a positive attitude, and a willingness to learn.

Minimum class size is 8 students, maximum class size is 20 students. All students will be presented a certificate of achievement upon successfully completing the course.

All 3T courses are taught by certified instructors with years of military, law enforcement, and high threat security contracting experience in Iraq and Afghanistan. Threat discrimination and round accountability are core skills that are relentlessly emphasized.

To register for the course or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at jbrown@3riverstraining.com or at 412-925-0818.

3T accepts checks, Visa, Mastercard, and PayPal.

There is no such thing as "advanced firearms skills". There is only the perfect execution of the fundamentals while under stress.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry Handgun with night shoot

Another topic that will be covered in depth are the types of concealment garments, and how to perform various draws depending on the garment you are utilizing.

I've been a firearms instructor for 15 years, and I've taught many different people many different weapon systems, including many Soviet-era small arms while I was a contractor in Afghanistan.

Of all the topics / weapon systems I can teach, I feel this is the course I am best at instructing. I have quite a bit of real world experience in carrying a concealed handgun in a covert capacity, and I teach not only how to properly wear and conceal a handgun, but also how to rapidly deploy the handgun from concealment.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions about the course.

Quote Originally Posted by John A Brown View Post
    Another topic that will be covered in depth are the types of concealment garments, and how to perform various draws depending on the garment you are utilizing.

I've been a firearms instructor for 15 years, and I've taught many different people many different weapon systems, including many Soviet-era small arms while I was a contractor in Afghanistan.

Of all the topics / weapon systems I can teach, I feel this is the course I am best at instructing. I have quite a bit of real world experience in carrying a concealed handgun in a covert capacity, and I teach not only how to properly wear and conceal a handgun, but also how to rapidly deploy the handgun from concealment.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions about the course.
    run me a pm if your for private for higher. I have a nephew beginning to get interested and would like him to learn from a pro. def would like to have further discussion with you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ak47fullmag View Post
    run me a pm if your for private for higher. I have a nephew beginning to get interested and would like him to learn from a pro. def would like to have further discussion with you.
    PM sent. Please feel free to email me also at jbrown@3riverstraining.com

PM sent. Please feel free to email me also at jbrown@3riverstraining.com
    pm enroute,. thx,.

(Allegheny County)

Folks,

I've gotten quite a few questions about holsters from people interested in this class.

Several points.......................

Leather and nylon hoslters are not permitted for this class. These holsters collapse upon themselves when the handgun is drawn, making it very difficult - difficult meaning unsafe - to re-holster with 1 hand - particularly if the holster is a IWB holster.

If you are going to come to this class, you will need a OWB kydex holster, worn on your strong side hip.

While I understand that IWB holsters are many times the best way to carry a concealed handgun (I use an IWB holster every single day) they are not a good idea for a training class when you are drawing and re-holstering easily 100 times a day.

Some people want to come to a training class with the holster they they carry their concealed weapon in everyday. While I understand this, and this goes to the mantra of "train like you fight - fight like you train" if you cannot re-holster smoothly, safely, and efficiently, WITH ONE HAND, on demand, EVERY SINGLE TIME, then your everyday carry holster is going to cause issues during a training class. It will create an unsafe situation, and at the very least will unecessarily slow the class down, which is not fair to the other students who have come to class with the proper gear.

If you use a strong side IWB holster for daily carry, and you come to a training class with a strong side OWB holster, this is not going to cause you any issues. It's just not. Going between these two types of holsters requires very little adjustment on the part of the shooter, and can be done easily with no drama.

As I said in the original post, if you are looking for a quality kydex holster, check out Raven Concealment Systems and Comp-Tac. I've use holsters from both of these companies for years, and their products are top of the line.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

John

www.3riverstraining.com
    Last edited by John A Brown; February 20th, 2013 at 04:15 AM.

(Bucks County)

I just saw this training class post. It's a little to soon for me but will get my wife into the all women pistol class you teach. After taking your AR15 class, I will be bringing my wife to learn from you. It's a long ride from the Philly area but worth every minute/mile.
    Last edited by NatesGT; February 27th, 2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo

(Beaver County)

While I understand that IWB holsters are many times the best way to carry a concealed handgun (I use an IWB holster every single day) they are not a good idea for a training class when you are drawing and re-holstering easily 100 times a day.

Some people want to come to a training class with the holster they they carry their concealed weapon in everyday. While I understand this, and this goes to the mantra of "train like you fight - fight like you train" if you cannot re-holster smoothly, safely, and efficiently, WITH ONE HAND, on demand, EVERY SINGLE TIME, then your everyday carry holster is going to cause issues during a training class. It will create an unsafe situation, and at the very least will unecessarily slow the class down, which is not fair to the other students who have come to class with the proper gear.

If you use a strong side IWB holster for daily carry, and you come to a training class with a strong side OWB holster, this is not going to cause you any issues. It's just not.
    Thank you for stating this. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

(Allegheny County)

Holsters:

Fortunately for those that are now starting/continuing down there firearms training path - there are LOTS of good quality holsters both IWB & OWB that allow one-handed re-holstering.

This was not always the case back 30 years or so ago.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NatesGT View Post
    I just saw this training class post. It's a little to soon for me but will get my wife into the all women pistol class you teach. After taking your AR15 class, I will be bringing my wife to learn from you. It's a long ride from the Philly area but worth every minute/mile.
    Understood Nate. You did great at the AR class this past weekend. It's a testament to your commitment that you drove 300 + miles to take a weekend course.

Looking forward to meeting your wife at the Women's Intro to Handgun course April 27th.

We'll get her shooting an AR soon there after!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast