Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Cost?

(Montgomery County)

Default Training Cost?

I am planning to take a course or 2 this year. I have been planning this for a while and looked at the local options. Local meaning Philly area. The one place I was going to go raised the price by 100s. It when from 150 to 250.

Totally understand that this is a business so I am not complaining about that. At that price it makes it hard for me to justify taking 2 classes.

Is this the going price for an 8 hour class?

(Pike County)

Default Re: Training Cost?

I believe $150-200 is fair price for the 8 hr class.

I charge $175 myself for the NRA basics.
    Je suis déplorable

(Montgomery County)

Where do you train...any info on the schedule

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    Where do you train...any info on the schedule
    At Wicen's:
    http://www.wicenshootingrange.com/learning_center.cfm

But I also have arrangements at former Colossimo's (Philly Gun Range is the new name, I believe).

Schedule is really flexible. I have to check for the scheduled upcoming classes (we can always squeese someone in and just add another instructor, since we maintain 4 student per instructor ratio tops) or just schedule something specifically for you.
    Je suis déplorable

(Northampton County)

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I offer classes at Guthsville Rod and Gun Club.

I know it isn't necessarily local, but I do charge significantly less than what you were finding. I charge $100 for an NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course and $250 for my two-day defensive pistol courses. I don't know what your mpgs are, but I have had participants from Philly tell me that even with the cost of gas, it was overall cheaper to take one of my courses than a more local course...

If you are interested, my schedule is located at www.magilltraining.com/Schedule.php.

(York County)

I took MAG 40 in '11, and at $800 for 40 hrs., it seemed expensive. But, I can honestly say it's one of the best courses of any type I've ever taken and don't regret for one second the time and money I spent. Doing the math, it's $20 an hr from a world class instructor, so I don't think it's out of line. I would like to take another course which is more shooting oriented and some of them run about $300-400 for two days, so that seems about the norm. When I can't fund actual training, I try to do vids or books. Not the same bang for the buck, but better than nothing til the budget allows. Make a commitment to never stop learining and you'll do well, no matter what the cost.

(Monroe County)

The benefit of training with a well rounded, qualified instructor is that when you go back to your home range you'll know what your particular failure points look like and how to get back on track- the ammo savings alone make the cost worthwhile.

You might check out Sights & Trigger, I took the Larry Vickers Basic Pistol with them last year and will sign-up for additional classes when Joe gets his spring schedule up. His home base range is Guthsville.

YMMV

your local training school rise their prices by 60% did their training get 60% better? did they upgrade their range to include some cool new target system?

I've been taking atleast 1 class per year, usually 1 day, 400-500rd at about 200.00ish per class. usually training is a fun filled day and i've always learn some thing new.

if you can get a few friends at similar level, i suggest private class with DAT, Phil is a great trainer. he can come to you or you can go to lancaster.

i prefer to train outdoors, even in cold and rain. I hate being inside with 12 other dudes each shooting 400-500 rds in an 8hr day.

also may sure you choose a class that's at your level, you don't want to spend 200.00 and listen to safety briefs for 3hrs (sig academy) and you don't want to be that fool that's in a class way too advance for you (me taking my 1st class with trident concept)

Me personally, if I'm going to spend money for any course...it's going to be by a well known company/trainer. No offense to the local guys, but I'm not paying their asking price when I see local trainers want more money than well known companies such as Magpul, Haley, Costa.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Me personally, if I'm going to spend money for any course...it's going to be by a well known company/trainer. No offense to the local guys, but I'm not paying their asking price when I see local trainers want more money than well known companies such as Magpul, Haley, Costa.
    Nothing personal but you couldn't pay me to take a class from some of the "well known trainers", particularly Haley and Costa.

BTW, we charge $60 + $10 range fee for a one day handgun class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast