Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default help choosing Ak

Hey guys long time no post but I've been lurking around, any way need help deciding on ak for x-mas I am torn between the yugo underfolder and the polish underfolder. From what I have read the only diff seems to be a chrome lined barrel and about a $100 or so. Please Advise

Also it seems as if no one locally carries these things for me to look at any ideas as to who may have them locally.
    thanks in advance.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: help choosing Ak

I can't offer a forsthand opinion of either the polish or yugo. What I can offer is a comment about folding stocks.

Bear in mind they were designed for troops who had a requirement for a compact weapon (armored crews, etc.). Most indigenous designs (the AK underfolders, M16 telestocks and HK sliders, etc.) are very poorly executed and by that I don't mean whether or not they lock up tight. What I mean is they will not provide a good cheekweld which is a largley misunderstood issue yet is extremely important and conducive to good marksmanship.

Get one if you must but at least now you've been forewarned.

(Montgomery County)

I have a Yugo underfolder. It locks up tightly, doesn't wobble, and you can create a minimalist pad of sorts on the metal stock with some patience and paracord: http://home.comcast.net/~m70AK3/cheek.htm No, the cheekweld is not optimum, but for what the rifle is, which is a medium range defensive weapon of greater reach than a pistol, it's fine. Winter and summer use with the paracord pad in place is much, much more comfortable.

The Yugo underfolders are built on RPK receivers, which have stamped metal about a half a MM thicker than others. Here's some info on Polish varieties, including the Tantal: http://www.ak-47.us/Polish.php

Quote Originally Posted by Darbyglocker View Post
    .... need help deciding on ak for x-mas I am torn between the yugo underfolder and the polish underfolder. ... Please Advise
    Darbyglocker:

For your first AK, consider a fixed stock. The Yugo M70 with american receivers are getting good marks, the Arsenal AKs get very high marks but are also expensive. The Yugo M70 with fixed stocks seems to be scarce, Arsenal is here. As someone already pointed out, the folding stocks are slightly less stable and get cold on a chilly day.

I don't personally know of any Chester/Delaware County gun shops that carry AKs, you're obviously thinking of buying locally if by Christmas. Consider making a few phone calls, see what's around.

(Montgomery County)

spend the extra cash on a chrome lined bore, all foreign AK ammo is a tiny bit corrosive, i've noticed, makes for easy cleanup.

also, like others said before me, get a fixed stock, or go for an Arsenal with the triangular side folder.

the triangle side folder pretty well duplicates a fixed stocks lines.

also, be aware that most AK stocks are a little short for us big as westerners, Arsenal sells AKs with the 1.5" longer stocks

i have an Arsenal SLR105 r in 5.45, great workmanship.

also, if you get a underfolder, they make a "grenade launcher" buttpad for them, get it at KVAR... I think its http://www.k-var.com/shop/
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

Thanks for replies guys but I need/want under folder love that look. I have found a few local shops around that have a few in stock (I won't say who until I get mine sorry) I also read around that the chrome lining was really not that important is this not true or just opinion.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Styles View Post
    I have a Yugo underfolder. It locks up tightly, doesn't wobble, and you can create a minimalist pad of sorts on the metal stock with some patience and paracord: http://home.comcast.net/~m70AK3/cheek.htm No, the cheekweld is not optimum, but for what the rifle is, which is a medium range defensive weapon of greater reach than a pistol, it's fine. Winter and summer use with the paracord pad in place is much, much more comfortable.

The Yugo underfolders are built on RPK receivers, which have stamped metal about a half a MM thicker than others. Here's some info on Polish varieties, including the Tantal: http://www.ak-47.us/Polish.php
    Didn't you just get yours it was sitting at the dock have you shot it yet

... I also read around that the chrome lining was really not that important is this not true or just opinion.
    Most of the AKs have chome plated bores. It's nice but you don't need a chrome bore, nor is it a substitute for basic maintenance. None of my Russian WWII rifles have a chrome bore, and they've never seen a non-corrosive round. I clean them thoroughly and inspect regularly. No problems with corrosion.

(Delaware County)

Well I did it I picked up yugo today looks nice everthing straight and was only $460+tax (Surplus City in Feasterville) They have a very nice collection of firearms long & short and all prices were very reasonable no need to haggle. They have ak's in stock quite a few. Will let you guys know how it shoots soon as I get a chance.
    how do i post pics would like for everyone to see my small but growing(with every bonus) family.

Merry Christmas to all.
    Happy holidays to others.

how do i post pics would like for everyone to see my small but growing(with every bonus) family...
    1. Free photo imaging website:http://photobucket.com/
    2. Code for inserting online image, do I need to tell you to delete hyphens first? Syntax: [IMG]h-t-t-p://xxx.yyy.com[/IMG]
    3. Nested pics that enlarge when you click 'em-Syntax: [U-R-L="h-t-t-p://aaa.bbb.com"][IMG]h-t-t-p://xxx.yyy.com[/I-M-G][/-U-R-L] where xxx.yyy.com is thumbnail/icon image, and aaa.bbb.com is full size image. Remove all hyphens, as I added them so your machine would read the code as text, and display it.
    Example: click on the image for enlargement.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; March 18th, 2007 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Added image example

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast