Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Buy Now ($$$) or Wait?

My wife and I are both newbs to handguns. We got an SR22 in the spring to learn to shoot, with the plan of adding a 9mm for home protection later.

Well, later has come and we started shopping. The election and tragedy at Sandy Hook have made shopping a bit of a challenge. So after handling and test shooting the likely candidates she has decided that an M&P9 with thumb safety is what she wants (with small grip installed).

List price is $569. Grice Gun Shop lists them for $460 (great price) in their Xmas flyer but are sold out. Internet stores list them under $500. Called several LGS (but certainly not all). No one has them in stock. But there is one at A&S in Greensburg for $535 (firm price). They seem like decent people there, so I don't mind giving them the business, but $75 over the Grice price would buy several hundred rounds of practice ammo.

Looking for thoughts on whether to buy now ($535, small discount) versus waiting for a few months and hope the gun buying frenzy (and prices) drop to pre-election status. Or if anyone knows of a LGS in western PA that has the M&P9 with thumb safety (sku 206301) in stock at a discount that'd be great.
    Last edited by garry; January 6th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Buy Now ($$$) or Wait?

Well, do you want the puppy now or later? Personally, prices are crazy BUT if I want it now I would just bite the bullet. If you wait until later - you might be facing the same "challenge" on price and availability. Also, who know if you will even be in the position to buy one later - anyway, just my humble opinion!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(Armstrong County)

I'm one to buy when I want it unless there are significant savings.
    From Murrysville you'll spend half of those saving on fuel to drive to Grice's.

Also, consider what your time is worth.
    That drive will take most of your day off.

That's not enough savings for me to wait.

Also, at A&S you maybe be able to talk them out or a few hours of range time at no charge.

You mentioned you tried other shops.
    Did you try Sportsman Supply on Rt 356 near Butler?

(Bucks County)

Quite honestly, if that's the exact gun you want, and you have no other SA pistol besides the 22, I'd buy it.

You can take your time shopping price on the next one . . . if you get that opportunity.

(Bucks County)

i'd buy it now because you never know what the future holds and i have no doubt the dems are going to try and ban more than military style weapons. semiauto pistols are still plentiful and easy to find but if a couple of months from now there's talk of banning them expect prices to skyrocket and availability to plummet. also you're not going to get several hundred rounds of 9mm for 75 bucks. how far are you willing to drive? it might be a good idea to find a shop that has what you want a make a day trip out of it.

(Westmoreland County)

Get it now at A&S. They are great people to deal with and you will be helping support a local business. The Grice special sale price was just that. A special sale price. Probably not to be repeated again for some time. What A&S has it for is the normal retail for most shops. (Mine included) Also, as Odonnks mentioned you'll spend as much of not more money driving to Clearfield to get the sale price if indeed such price is in effect at this point.

(Westmoreland County)

Check with Bee's guns in Saltsburg. I've never been there, but heard many good things about them. I may actually head out there this week.
    Have you thought about any sportsman clubs to join? I've been looking since I just picked up a Beretta px4 compact 9mm.

(Westmoreland County)

A & S is a great place. I did notice even before the big scare was their prices were higher then anyplace else I checked. Before buying it there I would call or check out the Army Navy in Latrobe, Johnsons Gun Depot in Norvelt and also Bouldons in Irwin. All decent places and prices. I got a LC9 at the end of Aug. and paid 30.00 less then what A S had it for and I think about 20 less then Johnsons. None of know what's going to really happen in the future. I am looking for a Shield but the waiting list is long. I will wait. If it is out of range with price by then, I will have to decide if I really need it or want it. Right now I want it, don't need it.

(Allegheny County)

Given the current situation I would pay the $535 now. Even $460 might have been a loss leader for that store and they where probably rarely in stock.

you know what you want now go buy it. could you save 50 bucks in two months? probably. but i dont speculate on things i have my heart set on.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast