Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: Weston CT attempts full AR ban

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Again, citation of law?

This thread is short on facts, and long on supposition.
    do you think philthy will follow citation of laws? they dont even follow the LTCF application laws, the way things are now with the violence, looks like the federal government is letting local government trample on our gun rights.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    do you think philthy will follow citation of laws? they dont even follow the LTCF application laws, the way things are now with the violence, looks like the federal government is letting local government trample on our gun rights.
    What does that have to do with anything?

YOU said:
    Isnt a city supposed to be at least a class 1 city to enact laws same as state and federal level?
    I assumed that to mean that it was your belief that this was what the law permitted/required.

Then you said:
    NYC, CHicago and Philthy are class 1 cities.
    This would seem to suggest that since those cities are indeed "class 1 cities" (your term), that even if they did enact such laws, it would be ok.

There are some flaws in your premise.

First, I would argue that there is no law applying to all 50 states that requires "class 1" status in order to enact certain laws.

Second, I have not been able to find any federally established definition of "city of the first class" (the correct term which I think you are referring to). Each state defines this term for themselves, and I've found population metrics for this status ranging from a population of 10,000 up to 1,000,000.

So again, I'll ask:

Do you have any law that you can cite that establishes a federal metric to define a "city of the first class", and what federal law prevents municipalities from enacting certain measures if they do not meet that metric?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Yet NYC
    NYC does not do it. NYC gets its restrictions encoded as part of the NYS Penal Code.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northumberland County)

What does that have to do with anything?

YOU said:

I assumed that to mean that it was your belief that this was what the law permitted/required.

Then you said:

This would seem to suggest that since those cities are indeed "class 1 cities" (your term), that even if they did enact such laws, it would be ok.

There are some flaws in your premise.

First, I would argue that there is no law applying to all 50 states that requires "class 1" status in order to enact certain laws.

Second, I have not been able to find any federally established definition of "city of the first class" (the correct term which I think you are referring to). Each state defines this term for themselves, and I've found population metrics for this status ranging from a population of 10,000 up to 1,000,000.

So again, I'll ask:

Do you have any law that you can cite that establishes a federal metric to define a "city of the first class", and what federal law prevents municipalities from enacting certain measures if they do not meet that metric?
    citation of law wont matter in this debate http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_n...us-guns-banned

this is happening , all the local govt has to do is beg the general assembly to change the citation of laws. Its sad but true, i dont like it but what can ya do .

(Butler County)

citation of law wont matter in this debate http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_n...us-guns-banned

this is happening , all the local govt has to do is beg the general assembly to change the citation of laws. Its sad but true, i dont like it but what can ya do .
    Connecticut does not have statewide preemption. Thus, at first impression, it's cities can do that kind of stuff.

There are only about 6 states that don't have some kind of statewide preemption on firearms.

PA does, your confusion about cities of the first class not withstanding.

(Monroe County)

Again, citation of law?

This thread is short on facts, and long on supposition.
    He asked a question.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjp View Post
    local municipality's have NO RIGHT to restrict what is legal at state and federal level
    Not exactly right...
    Denver did. They got their laws in before the state passed a law saying they couldn't.

Denver's assault weapons ban withstood test of time, court challenges

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/c...est-time-court

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjp View Post
    local municipality's have NO RIGHT to restrict what is legal at state and federal level
    You've obviously never been to NY! I'm not talking NYC either. In the entire state ANY municipality is allowed to enact further laws as to where weapons may be carried. Also take this gem.....in NYS pre ban magazines are legal however in the city of Rochester they have enacted a limit on capacity regardless of date effectively makeing no such thing as pre bans.

Welcome to NY!

Harper says he's dealt with outsiders from the gun lobby before.

"I'm not afraid to speak, and I told them to shut up, they don't live here, and this is our town and we're gonna do what we want to do, so hit the road," he says. "This is Weston; it's a small town. I was born and raised here. I raised my family here. I want the town to be safe. And that's the way it is."
    This guy sounds like a class A douche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12