Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Target shooting state game lands

Any one know if there is anything particular, rules, etc that i should know before taget practicing on state gamelands (not at ranges but basically jsut out in the woods)? want to take some friends out shooting tomorrow
    Last edited by Murray; March 22nd, 2008 at 10:58 PM.

(Indiana County)

Default re: Target shooting state game lands

You're not allowed to. That's about all you need to know. If it's not at a SGL range, you can't shoot on the SGL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    You're not allowed to. That's about all you need to know. If it's not at a SGL range, you can't shoot on the SGL.
    That about sums it up.
    Jules

(Erie County)

You're not allowed to.
    Says who? Here is the PA code on state game lands:

§ 135.41. State game lands.

(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:

(15) Target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles in a manner that could cause injury to persons or property, or on areas posted closed to those activities.
    I read this as: Unless it's posted otherwise at the SGL parking area, you may target shoot, if you're shooting safely (i.e. not in a manner that could case injury to persons or property)

Now, this is the rule for target shooting on private land:

... Shooting at a properly constructed target or mark or a dead tree protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the ball, bullet or arrow cannot travel more than 15 yards beyond the target aimed at, after making due allowance for deflection in any direction not to exceed an angle of 45 degrees.
    This gives detail as to what "shooting safely" might be considered.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by OPiNiCUS; April 29th, 2009 at 11:38 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by OPiNiCUS View Post
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're wrong, and the county of Berks has $150 dollars that used to belong to me to prove it.
    You will be issued a summary citation for violating Section 34, Paragraph 721, subsection (a), which says that the PGC basically controls its own property, and will interpret its regulations [including Title 58, sec 135.41, subsec. (c)(15)] the way it wants to, not the way you read it. (I read it the same as you. It is much safer to shoot at a target than at any game animal in most cases. The PGC doesn't care.).
    Also, any firearm you shoot for target practice has to be legal for hunting, meaning no semi-auto handguns or rifles.

As a side note, if you fight the charge, receive a court date, but the officer can't show up, he can withdraw the charge and file it at a more convenient time for his schedule. I know this to be true, also.

To the OP, proceed at your own risk, but my advice is don't do it.

Edit: I just realized the OP was over a year ago so my advice is probably too late.
    Last edited by ROCK-IT3; April 29th, 2009 at 10:32 PM.

(Erie County)

I just realized the OP was over a year ago so my advice is probably too late.
    Yea, I resurrected an old post because I wanted to know the correct answer to this subject. Thank you for your response. I'll check in with my local game commissioner. I don't understand how the code could be interpreted any other way.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Target shooting state game lands

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Also, any firearm you shoot for target practice has to be legal for hunting, meaning no semi-auto handguns or rifles.
    Um......no, that is not correct. You can use anything except full auto at the ranges. You will NOT find that restriction anywhere.

§ 135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.
    (a) General provisions. In addition to § 135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) and except as provided in § 135.182 (relating to Ranges, State Game Lands No. 176), the following pertain to lands under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, designated as rifle or handgun ranges:

(1) Rifle and handgun ranges are open from 8 a.m., prevailing time, until sunset Monday through Saturday and from 12 noon to sunset Sundays, unless otherwise posted; except the Sunday immediately preceding the regular antlered and antlerless deer seasons and the regular bear season, when the hours are 8 a.m. to sunset.

(2) A range may be reserved for exclusive use by an organized group from January 1 through October 1. An organized group desiring to reserve the range shall make necessary arrangements through the appropriate regional director or a designee at least 20 days in advance.

(3) An individual may not use the range when in use on days when it is reserved by an organized group.

(4) An individual or an organized group using the range is responsible for keeping the area clean and free of debris, and may not discard, deposit, leave or throw litter except in approved refuse containers. Range users shall remove targets from range backboards when shooting is completed and prior to leaving the range.

(5) The Commission is not responsible for anyone injured on the range. An individual using Commission owned ranges does so at his own risk and assumes all responsibility for injuries to a person or property caused by or to him.

(6) When more than one person is using the range, a range officer shall be designated.

(7) An individual under 16 years of age may not use the range unless accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.

(8) The appropriate regional director or designee may close a range by posting signs to that effect.

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee for military or law enforcement training, it is unlawful to:

(1) Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.

(2) Discharge a firearm, except from an established shooting station on the firing line at a paper target placed on a permanent target backboard.

(3) Discharge armor piercing, incendiary, explosive, tracer or multiple projectile ammunition.

(4) Be intoxicated, use or possess an intoxicating beverage or controlled substance on the range.

(5) Possess an automatic weapon.

(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).

(7) Shoot clay birds anywhere except areas designated by the Director by signs stating that clay bird shooting is permitted.

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.

(Luzerne County)

I assume you mean shooting in the woods as compared to a range. If this is the case, you can shoot whatever firearm is legal for hunting.
    At a range, anything that is not full auto. Of course following round restrictions!
    I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Um......no, that is not correct. You can use anything except full auto at the ranges. You will NOT find that restriction anywhere.
    See bric2000's answer. The OP specifically says not at a range, just in the woods. That was also listed on my citation. I was shooting a semi-auto handgun.