Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default PT 1911 safety problem

I have had this gun for about 2 months and put 250 rounds through it without any problems so far. Last night I was changing the grips on it as I got some wood grips off ebay for it. When I was putting on the right side grip and tightening the screws the left hand thumb safety had fallen out of teh gun and the plunger part had flown across the room. I have no idea why the safety fell out and I know that it definitely shouldnt have. Why would this fall out of the gun and is this a serious problem? I have put the safety back in and it seems to function right but I dont understand why it fell out to begin with. That just doesnt seem safe. Is there something wrong with the safety or was this just a random mishap? Thanks in advance and I have been reading this forum for about 2 months now and love the info and knowlege I have gainded. Thank you everyone!

(Chester County)

Default Re: PT 1911 safety problem

By "left hand safety" do you mean the safety on the left hand side of the gun as a shooter would be holding it...or do you mean the safety a left handed shooter would use (right side of the gun)?

(Indiana County)

The safety on the left as the shooter would be holding it.

(Chester County)

Send it back, or have a qualified gunsmith who works on 1911's look at it for you.

You should have to work that part off the gun....if it fell out on its own...I wouldn't trust the gun.

(Bedford County)

That would be that "custom" gunsmithing that Taurus advertises in the gun rags. This is the second taurus 1911 on PAFOA to have this problem...and one that had a slide release lever break.

Not time to hit the panic button....but something to keep an eye on for others.

(Lawrence County)

Sounds like it wasn't in the slot and may have just popped out when he was taking the grips off.........

Send to a gunsmith? Geeze guys.....

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Sounds like it wasn't in the slot and may have just popped out when he was taking the grips off.........

Send to a gunsmith? Geeze guys.....
    I've yet to see a thumb safety fall out of a gun without force being applied to the pin....especially when the gun is together.

How is it that you think it can fall out so easily? I know the Taurus is ambi...but haven't taken theirs apart...

You think this is normal for a brand new gun? Just curious....

(Monroe County)

Like I tell the customers in my shop Taurus makes a GOOD 1911 for the price! After you buy one, replace the Hammer,The thumb safety and the slide release and then you have a GREAT 1911 that will out live YOU.

Old style ambi safety,small lever goes under the right grip panel. If the groove in the grip is too shallow or not cut for an ambi then the grip can push in on the safety which pushes out on the left side just enough for the safety detent to go BLING across the room. Change it out to a PINNED ambi safety and problem solved.

JMHO and I don't have one in front of me but thats my memory from 4 days ago

Rich W.

(Lawrence County)

No, I'm saying he took the grips off and may have been tooling with it and may not have had it together right......when you tighten up the weak hand side grip it would pop out the other side if it wasn't seated.

And......FOR GOODNESS SAKE.....if the fork was loose.....take the safety out and pinch it with some pliers...instead of paying a smith to do the same thing.

The Taurus is the same style as the normal 1911....I've taken more than a couple apart.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    Like I tell the customers in my shop Taurus makes a GOOD 1911 for the price! After you buy one, replace the Hammer,The thumb safety and the slide release and then you have a GREAT 1911 that will out live YOU.
    The hammer looks like hell, but I've seen more than a couple that would hold at 3lbs. The angles are pretty decent.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast