Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: PT 1911 safety problem

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I dunno, I hear about the Taurus safety problem and the internal lock problem every now and then, but I still hear a ton of other problems with other brands of 1911's as well. Here's one going on right now with a Springfield Custom!

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/39...ract-help.html

A gun is a machine and any machine can and will have problems. IMHO, the PT1911 is building an impressive track record and the expensive 1911 guys don't like it one bit! LOL
    Yep that Custom SA is mine. And guess what? I also have a PT1911 that has been FLAWLESS. Some people are just gun snobs and feel the need to put down the purchase decisions of others. I'm sick of it, but it will never go away.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
    I can agree with all that! By what I'm reading it appears you shoot guns on a serious level. If you don't mind me asking what type of shooting do you do and what type of guns do you shoot? I wouldn't mind getting some ideas for a possible future purchase. I own 3 handguns but I am always looking.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I've been shooting a Glock 19 for a while now. IDPA, training courses, and high-round count days with buddies (shooting from/ rolling on the ground, dropping mags in the dirt all afternoon, shooting in the rain if that's what we got, getting the guns good and hot/ dirty...etc.) In addition to just casual shooting, when I can.

I had a 1911 and it ran, though I never pushed it too hard (.45acp on a college student's budget doesn't permit much volume of fire), and had an M&P which had a killer trigger but didn't run AS well as my Glock, and now my G19 which is my war-horse/ everything gun.

I have some friends who run 1911's pretty hard. The least expensive 1911 I've seen run to my satisfaction is the SA TRP. I've seen Les Baers, Ed Brown's, Nighthawk Customs, Kimbers, Colts, Springfields, all go down under relatively ideal conditions. The 1911 is not a gun which is easy to keep running, and almost impossible to keep running well on the cheap. Those they do perform well under adverse conditions are both rare and expensive...but boy are they nice when they run.

To draw a parallel...I equate the 1911 to a classic muscle car, and the Glock to the family Volvo station waggon that just won't die. The muscle car has the look, the feel, the performance that makes you fall in love with it...but you gotta keep sticking your head underneath the hood and working on it to keep it running. While the Glock (the Volvo station waggon) starts everytime, and does just about everything asked of it, though no-one gets excited to drive it and brag about how awesome their station waggon is. While it's not as fun, and exciting as the muscle car....I can count on it, as it runs with boring reliability.

For the record, I pretty much own and use 1 handgun, my G19. I have a G26 too, but I let my dad hold on to it, as I almost never have a use for it.

I change ALL the springs about once a year, I replace my extractor and striker every 2 or 3 years, and other than that, I just keep it lubed and loaded...and it just goes bang when I tell it to. With my glasses on, and my body relaxed...I can hit ~3" groups at 25 yards with it, and hit a man sized target at 100 yards ~80% (or better) of the time. Not sure what else I need a handgun to do for me.

I'm not trying to say a 1911 CAN'T perform well, it's just gonna cost you, and even then...it's still more of a gamble.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Yep that Custom SA is mine. And guess what? I also have a PT1911 that has been FLAWLESS. Some people are just gun snobs and feel the need to put down the purchase decisions of others. I'm sick of it, but it will never go away.
    So, your USED SA with how many rounds on the extractor (which has never been cleaned) is not as good as your NEW Taurus with how many rounds through it?
    Last edited by synergy; November 25th, 2008 at 01:19 PM.

(York County)

Smile Re: PT 1911 safety problem

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I've been shooting a Glock 19 for a while now. IDPA, training courses, and high-round count days with buddies (shooting from/ rolling on the ground, dropping mags in the dirt all afternoon, shooting in the rain if that's what we got, getting the guns good and hot/ dirty...etc.) In addition to just casual shooting, when I can.

I had a 1911 and it ran, though I never pushed it too hard (.45acp on a college student's budget doesn't permit much volume of fire), and had an M&P which had a killer trigger but didn't run AS well as my Glock, and now my G19 which is my war-horse/ everything gun.

I have some friends who run 1911's pretty hard. The least expensive 1911 I've seen run to my satisfaction is the SA TRP. I've seen Les Baers, Ed Brown's, Nighthawk Customs, Kimbers, Colts, Springfields, all go down under relatively ideal conditions. The 1911 is not a gun which is easy to keep running, and almost impossible to keep running well on the cheap. Those they do perform well under adverse conditions are both rare and expensive...but boy are they nice when they run.

To draw a parallel...I equate the 1911 to a classic muscle car, and the Glock to the family Volvo station waggon that just won't die. The muscle car has the look, the feel, the performance that makes you fall in love with it...but you gotta keep sticking your head underneath the hood and working on it to keep it running. While the Glock (the Volvo station waggon) starts everytime, and does just about everything asked of it, though no-one gets excited to drive it and brag about how awesome their station waggon is. While it's not as fun, and exciting as the muscle car....I can count on it, as it runs with boring reliability.

For the record, I pretty much own and use 1 handgun, my G19. I have a G26 too, but I let my dad hold on to it, as I almost never have a use for it.

I change ALL the springs about once a year, I replace my extractor and striker every 2 or 3 years, and other than that, I just keep it lubed and loaded...and it just goes bang when I tell it to. With my glasses on, and my body relaxed...I can hit ~3" groups at 25 yards with it, and hit a man sized target at 100 yards ~80% (or better) of the time. Not sure what else I need a handgun to do for me.

I'm not trying to say a 1911 CAN'T perform well, it's just gonna cost you, and even then...it's still more of a gamble.
    My son just bought a new Glock model 22 and as I posted in another thread I found this gun to be a real joy to shoot. Glock and a lot of the other tactical handguns never really did much for me but when he wanted me to help him gather some information about the Glock I started to like the gun more and more and after I shot it and cleaned it I was pretty much sold! The Glock seems to really attract the younger shooters out there, and I got to admit I feel like an old man when I shoot the 1911 next to him and his Glock but that 1911 feels really good in my hands and he will tell you the same thing.

It's good to know that if I got Glock questions they can be answered here.

(York County)

Smile Re: PT 1911 safety problem

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post

I couldn't agree with you more! Not just with guns but with just about everything that people have a passion for you are going to run across this very thing. There are a lot of people out there who feel the need to have to trash a product that they either know nothing about or it's not what they own, and when you really try to research something it can be difficult to weed these kind of people out. I tend to listen to people who don't have a problem admitting that the gun they own has had problems at one time or another.

Like many PT-1911 owners I bought this gun because I have always had a passion for the Colt and other 1911 style handguns, and you get a lot of gun for the money. I did not buy the gun to go on a crusade and tell everyone who spent big bucks on a 1911 that they are an idiot. I appreciate GOOD criticism from knowlegable people!

There are a lot of people out there who just flat out hate Taurus products, the hard part is finding the ones who really have a reason too.

(Bucks County)

i frimly believe Taurus pistols and revolvers get such a bad rep from people who have never put a round through them. I have had five different Taurus models and have not had a problem. I have also had at least one model from the "big" named manufacturers too. There are reliable inexpensive guns, and unreliable expensive guns.

I have a PT1911 and for the first 50 rounds I would get a FTE, after that it was flawless.
    Last edited by bnkrtstk; November 25th, 2008 at 04:43 PM.

(Berks County)

I had a Taurus 24/7 PRO in .45 ACP that was, in every way, an unreliable piece of crap. That said, my PT1911 is perfect. I don't hate a company because I had one bad gun.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bnkrtstk View Post
    i frimly believe Taurus pistols and revolvers get such a bad rep from people who have never put a round through them. I have had five different Taurus models and have not had a problem. I have also had at least one model from the "big" named manufacturers too. There are reliable inexpensive guns, and unreliable expensive guns.

I have a PT1911 and for the first 50 rounds I would get a FTE, after that it was flawless.
    I don't. Everyone I've met who's been vocal about Taurus guns sucking has had a personal experience that lead them to forming the opinion they hold.

But, if I didn't work as an RO and see them break so often, I probably wouldn't believe half of the horror stories told about them.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I dunno, I hear about the Taurus safety problem and the internal lock problem every now and then, but I still hear a ton of other problems with other brands of 1911's as well. Here's one going on right now with a Springfield Custom!

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/39...ract-help.html

A gun is a machine and any machine can and will have problems. IMHO, the PT1911 is building an impressive track record and the expensive 1911 guys don't like it one bit! LOL
    This is totally unrelated to your post but I wanted to ask you if you know of any public ranges or places to shoot in your area or the outskirts. I am coming up to Blairsville this weekend and was going to take some time to shoot. There used to be a bunch of places around Blairsville but that was 25 years ago and I don't know if they are still there or not.

Thanks

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I have a Glock question for you. I was reading on the web about trigger tips when shooting a Glock and one of the tips was to hold the trigger all the way in after the first shot and then let it out until you feel the click and then fire another shot. Is this a good technique or is it possible that this could cause damage to the gun in any way?

Thanks

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast