Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: What FFL for Internet purchase?

+1 for Dick Hughey in Aston. He's a good guy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 76mark View Post
    +1 for Dick Hughey in Aston. He's a good guy.
    +1 on Dick Hughey for me too. I've bought several firearms online via Gunbroker and used him. I've also done FTF sales of firearms to NJ purchasers and he even handled that for me. He sells reloading supplies too (mostly powder, primers and shotgun wads).

(Delaware County)

Thanks for all the help guys. I actually sent Dickey an email yesterday and he responded in about 10 minutes and even included a scanned copy of his FFL for me ready to be sent to an internet seller. I definitely plan to use him for my next online purchase because of that simple gesture.

Most of these other guys/shops ive talked to make it seem like they are doing you a huge "favor" letting you pay them for an online transfer and/or you have to phyiscally drive to their shop just to get a copy of their FFL and explain what it is you want to buy. No thanks.....its the digital age.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    +1 on Dick Hughey for me too. I've bought several firearms online via Gunbroker and used him. I've also done FTF sales of firearms to NJ purchasers and he even handled that for me. He sells reloading supplies too (mostly powder, primers and shotgun wads).

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ksf141 View Post
    Most of these other guys/shops ive talked to make it seem like they are doing you a huge "favor" letting you pay them for an online transfer and/or you have to phyiscally drive to their shop just to get a copy of their FFL and explain what it is you want to buy. No thanks.....its the digital age.
    Well, just to be fair to the stores, they actually have stuff on the shelves and racks that they want you to buy from them (at a markup) so that they can pay their employees, keep the lights on and eat. Their business is threatened by Gunbroker and online purchasing, so I can sympathize with their not wanting to do transfers or making it a general PITA.

Dick literally works out of his basement, has no employees and very little overhead. After he's paid for his license and phone bill, it's pretty-much all profit.

(Delaware County)

Agreed, but i have 2 gripes with this general logic of shop owners..

1) Nearly every shop around here carries the same brand inventory of guns, and usually an anemic assortment from those brands. If you want a Glock 19 fine, but if you want a Glock 34 good luck (for example). If youre shopping for a an STI 38 super competition race gun or an Anschutz Olympic smallbore rifle, youre only choice is to shop online (for example)

2) If a shop is helpful to me with the transfer of an internet purchase, I will be 100 times more likely to go back there when I want to buy a new gun off their shelf. Its simply good business to offer any service you can and its easy money. If I walked in and bought a $15 box of bullets, they would be happy even though they only made a $1 profit, whereas a transfer is like $40 profit for about 6 minutes of work. If they turn me away for an internet transfer, Ill go buy my new glock and the next shop down the street.

Unfortunately for stingy shops there is just too much access online to guns from all sorts of places across the country with things like forums and Gunbroker that the trend of online purchases will only continue to grow as the younger generations become affluent enough to be firearms owners/collectors etc. The shops that accommodate these transfers easily, will experience a stream of easy revenue. Just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    Well, just to be fair to the stores, they actually have stuff on the shelves and racks that they want you to buy from them (at a markup) so that they can pay their employees, keep the lights on and eat. Their business is threatened by Gunbroker and online purchasing, so I can sympathize with their not wanting to do transfers or making it a general PITA.

Dick literally works out of his basement, has no employees and very little overhead. After he's paid for his license and phone bill, it's pretty-much all profit.

(Delaware County)

And Dick needs the money. He's just a super nice guy that provides a great service for us internet guys. I usually give him $30.00.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

I have used Dick for years, buy reloading stuff from him too My dad used him. And he is honest I wanted him to do the paperwork on my dads guns when he passed Dick told me no need since it was from father to son all I had to do was show a will and a death certificate not sure if it is true or if he was just doing me a favor because of my father either way I use him at all possible

Does anyone mind that Dick Hughey is a smoking environment? I dont like my guns and cases smelling like cigarettes.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by allglock View Post
    Does anyone mind that Dick Hughey is a smoking environment? I dont like my guns and cases smelling like cigarettes.
    My guns don't mind. They smoke too.

+ another 1 for Dick Hughey
    Couldn't ask for a nicer guy and a smoother transaction.

Originally Posted by allglock

Seriously? With any luck it will be smelling of freshly fired cordite within minutes or hours of the transaction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast