Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Can a new PA resident lawfully carry in PA on a non-resident Florida CCW license?

I am a former resident of PA that is, regrettably, now living in New Jersey. The good news is that I will, God willing, be moving back home to Chester County, PA sometime in the next few months. Once I have legally become a PA resident again, I will, of course, apply for a PA resident LTC. (Right now, I currently hold non-resident CCW licenses from Florida and New Hampshire.)

I have two questions that I was hoping someone could answer for me:

(1) Generally speaking, how long after I apply for a PA LTC will I have to wait before the LTC is actually issued? (I will be applying as a resident of Chester County.)

(2) While waiting for my PA resident LTC to be issued, would it be lawful for me to carry concealed in PA whilst using my Florida license?

Thanks for any help that you can offer to me.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Can a new PA resident lawfully carry in PA on a non-resident Florida CCW license?

A non-resident Florida permit is recognized by PA. It doesn't matter what state your living in.

Wait time varies. Mine took 2 weeks.

http://www.packing.org/license_tool/
    Last edited by KeithPA; December 20th, 2006 at 12:28 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Can a new PA resident lawfully carry in PA on a non-resident Florida CCW license?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas View Post
    I am a former resident of PA that is, regrettably, now living in New Jersey. The good news is that I will, God willing, be moving back home to Chester County, PA sometime in the next few months. Once I have legally become a PA resident again, I will, of course, apply for a PA resident LTC. (Right now, I currently hold non-resident CCW licenses from Florida and New Hampshire.)

I have two questions that I was hoping someone could answer for me:

(1) Generally speaking, how long after I apply for a PA LTC will I have to wait before the LTC is actually issued? (I will be applying as a resident of Chester County.)

(2) While waiting for my PA resident LTC to be issued, would it be lawful for me to carry concealed in PA whilst using my Florida license?

Thanks for any help that you can offer to me.
    Hey Dismas,

First off, it doesn't matter where you live in PA, the rules for applying are the same (or at least they're supposed to be) because of the PA Uniform Firearms Act (UFA). The Sheriff's Office processes the applications and issues the permits for their respective residents, but the criteria are the same statewide. Some Sheriff's offices try to impose additional requirements, but they're not supposed to.

To answer your questions specifically:
    1. The UFA requires that any applicant for a LTC be issued a permit within 45 of applying, or given a specific reason for denial. I live in Berks County, and my approval took 2 weeks.

2. What's listed as your address on your FL non-resident permit? If it's your current NJ address, it may not be valid once you move to PA, as that won't be your address anymore. I would think that in order for your FL non-resident to be valid once you move, you'll most likely need to inform FL of your change of address.

Hope it helps.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Thanks for the answers, guys!

The address listed on my Florida CCW license is my current, NJ address. From what I have been told, changing an address on a Florida license is as easy as making a phone call. Your records are updated as soon as you make the call and Florida sends you a correction sticker to affix to your license. (Either that or you can submit a new photograph, pay a fee and they will send you a new license with the new address listed upon it.)

Considering that it will only take two weeks for me to obtain my resident PA LTC, I think I will just wait until I get my PA LTC before carrying concealed in PA. Since I intend to keep my Florida CCW license, I'll submit a new photograph and pay the fee so that my new Florida license will reflect my new PA address.

Thanks again for your help!

(Berks County)

Thanks for the answers, guys!

The address listed on my Florida CCW license is my current, NJ address. From what I have been told, changing an address on a Florida license is as easy as making a phone call. Your records are updated as soon as you make the call and Florida sends you a correction sticker to affix to your license. (Either that or you can submit a new photograph, pay a fee and they will send you a new license with the new address listed upon it.)

Considering that it will only take two weeks for me to obtain my resident PA LTC, I think I will just wait until I get my PA LTC before carrying concealed in PA. Since I intend to keep my Florida CCW license, I'll submit a new photograph and pay the fee so that my new Florida license will reflect my new PA address.

Thanks again for your help!
    No problem, good luck with the move!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

I am a former resident of PA that is, regrettably, now living in New Jersey...

Dismas, your FL license is recognized by PA regardless of whether you're a resident of the state or not. It does not matter if you have a NJ address on the permit. A year or so ago, the Second Amendment Sisters in-state coordinator got active and had the PA Attorney General write a letter stating that the FL carry permit is recognized irrespective of home address. Here's a copy of it on the NJCSD website: CLICKY

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    Dismas, your FL license is recognized by PA regardless of whether you're a resident of the state or not. It does not matter if you have a NJ address on the permit. A year or so ago, the Second Amendment Sisters in-state coordinator got active and had the PA Attorney General write a letter stating that the FL carry permit is recognized irrespective of home address. Here's a copy of it on the NJCSD website: CLICKY
    Hopefully, Dismas already escaped New Jersey sometime between 3.5 years ago and now.

Chester County turns them around in about three weeks. Get your PA drivers license and fill out the form at http://dsf.chesco.org/sheriff/cwp/view.asp?Q=609178

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    Hopefully, Dismas already escaped New Jersey sometime between 3.5 years ago and now.
    LOL! The dead live!!! Didn't see that. Likewise, let's hope the OP had wisdom enough to escape the gulag.