Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIB-X coatings

(Bucks County)

Default NIB-X coatings

Just bought a New Glock 19 with a NIB-X coated slide. I didn't set out looking for one with a coated slide but given the availability and the price I bought one. I do like the way it looks but was wondering what the long term durability and advantages of the NIB-X coatings are. Its going to be a carry gun.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: NIB-X coatings

I just picked up a G22 with nibx. I mainly wanted for two tone look but I'm told it allows for smoother action ( not sure how much smoother or the need, but.....) and suppose to be ultra durable - but I don't have stats.. For me, just cosmetic. Congrats on the purchase, don't forget some pics

This should tell you: http://www.wmdguns.com/
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    This should tell you: http://www.wmdguns.com/
    Thanks for the link, I was really looking for a field report from owners not just a sales pitch from the manufacturer. Anyone know how long this stuff has been around? Anybody with some long term experence?

Did you look at the data? The stuff has a Rockwell rating of 70, which is in super hard carbide steel territory. Means it ain't gonna rub off no time soon. The only problem I see in the data is the same with every other coating, paints included; it is thin. Claim is 1 to 2 microns. If it does indeed have the 70 rating, it'd be the equivalent of at least 4 or 5 layers of hard chrome, and you know how hard that stuff is, and how slippery it is with oil on it.
    Last edited by harold63; January 5th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.

(Luzerne County)

If it does indeed have the 70 rating, it'd be the equivalent of at least 4 or 5 layers of hard chrome, and you know how hard that stuff is, and how slippery it is with oil on it.
    Don't take that bolded statement lightly. I have an nibx AR BCG that I have dropped several times after spraying with CLP for cleaning.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

I love electroless nickel boron coatings on handguns. Clean up easy and on the 4 guns I have coated with it none of them have any signs of wear---it's my favorite finish.

(Bucks County)

Did you look at the data? The stuff has a Rockwell rating of 70, which is in super hard carbide steel territory. Means it ain't gonna rub off no time soon. The only problem I see in the data is the same with every other coating, paints included; it is thin. Claim is 1 to 2 microns. If it does indeed have the 70 rating, it'd be the equivalent of at least 4 or 5 layers of hard chrome, and you know how hard that stuff is, and how slippery it is with oil on it.
    Yes I did look at the data, and I am not sure the 1-2 micron figure is the thickness, looks more like the variation in the thickness. See web info below.

"Since the process requires no electrical current, controllable coating deposition rates produce consistent tolerances within ± 1 to 2 microns. The result is the same amount of plate on sharp corners, edges and flat surfaces – including blind holes, threads, channels, recesses and internal areas – of parts of all sizes and shapes. And since coatings mirror the surface profile of the substrate, little or no post-plate grinding or burnishing is required."

After reading the web info I was wondering if the thickness of the coatings would affect the slide action or feed/extraction action.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I just picked up a G22 with nibx. I mainly wanted for two tone look but I'm told it allows for smoother action ( not sure how much smoother or the need, but.....) and suppose to be ultra durable - but I don't have stats.. For me, just cosmetic. Congrats on the purchase, don't forget some pics
    Here Ya go!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by triumph_tech View Post

After reading the web info I was wondering if the thickness of the coatings would affect the slide action or feed/extraction action.
    Doesn't appear to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss5vl6X-jes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast