Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Only in California

If members of this board want to refer to this as cop bashing, be my guest. He shoots an unarmed mother and an unarmed 8 year while off duty, and is placed on administrative leave. This is BS if a member of the community he has sworen to protect & serve had done something like this he or she would be residing in the gray bar motel not off work on admin leave.

San Diego officer on leave in off-duty shooting of woman and 8-year-old son

Road rage is suspected in the wounding of a Marine's wife in Oceanside. The injuries to her and her son are not life-threatening.
    By H.G. Reza, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    March 19, 2008
    The unarmed wife of a Marine and her 8-year-old son were recovering Tuesday after an off-duty San Diego police officer shot them in a weekend road rage incident, authorities said.

Police offered few details about the shooting, which occurred at 9:14 p.m. Saturday in Oceanside.

Sgt. Kelan Poorman of the Oceanside Police Department said that the incident remains under investigation, and that detectives have not interviewed the woman, who was being treated at Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego.

Police would not release her name, saying only that she is in her 20s and lives at Camp Pendleton.

Poorman said the woman was shot in the upper torso. Her son was shot in the "lower extremity area," Poorman said, and was recovering at Rady Children's Hospital, also in San Diego.

The injuries to mother and son are not life-threatening, he said.

Camp Pendleton officials referred questions to Oceanside police. They would not say where the Marine was stationed.

Poorman identified the officer as Franklin White, 28, who has been a member of the San Diego Police Department since 2005. A San Diego police spokeswoman declined to comment because the shooting is under investigation.

On Saturday night, Oceanside officers responded to a call about a disturbance in the parking lot at the Lowe's store on Old Grove Road near California Highway 76. While officers were en route, dispatchers received other calls about shots fired, Poorman said.

Police found the woman and boy wounded, inside her car, Poorman said. Police would not say how many shots were fired or if the officer used his service weapon or his own handgun.

The police spokesman said the officer was driving his personal vehicle, but did not know if he was outside the car when the shooting occurred.

Poorman said the incident began on Old Grove Road when one driver apparently cut the other off. He said investigators do not know who did what to whom.

Poorman said investigators also have not determined if one driver followed the other into the parking lot.

"We're not sure if there was any contact with the cars, but there was a verbal exchange between the two of them," Poorman said. "The officer feared for his safety and discharged a weapon."

He said White identified himself as a police officer at some time during the incident, but was unsure when.

White was interviewed at the Oceanside police station Saturday night with his attorney and peer support officers from the San Diego Police Department present.

"So far, we only have one side of the story, and we're waiting to talk to her," Poorman said.

Detectives interviewed the boy Monday. Investigators had hoped to interview his mother Tuesday, but they had to appear in court on another case.

White has been placed on administrative leave.

hgreza@latimes.com

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Only in California

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    If members of this board want to refer to this as cop bashing, be my guest. He shoots an unarmed mother and an unarmed 8 year while off duty, and is placed on administrative leave. This is BS if a member of the community he has sworen to protect & serve had done something like this he or she would be residing in the gray bar motel not off work on admin leave.
    Don't you think you're being a little hasty? There are absolutely NO details. I'm not going to hypothesize and list possibilities, but they did say he feared for his life. Whether he was actually threatened with deadly force or not, who knows? Because that story definitely doesn't say. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be critical, and not trying to defend cops who act like cowboys or anything else.

(Centre County)

I'm not going to say cop was out of line, or what not without more infomation on this situation.

Victim could infact been armed with weapon, may try to ram the car in to him, or whatever.

HOWEVER, I'm having hard time wondering what could 8y/o boy could have done to make trained officer to fear for his safety enough and shoots the boy...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    Don't you think you're being a little hasty? There are absolutely NO details. I'm not going to hypothesize and list possibilities, but they did say he feared for his life. Whether he was actually threatened with deadly force or not, who knows? Because that story definitely doesn't say. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be critical, and not trying to defend cops who act like cowboys or anything else.
    Gotta say, if he was legitimately scared of an unarmed woman and an 8 y/o boy, then he is WAY to much of a pussy to continue being a cop.

I'm confident that if the justice system doesn't take care of the problem, the "officer" will have an accident soon enough. Shooting the 8 year old son of a Marine, not to mention his wife, over a road rage incident just doesn't seem the smartest thing in the world, to me.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Adams County)

I don't see the post as bashing. But I agree to wait for facts. He was pretty far from his jurisdiction being in Oceanside as being SDPD. As for the child, no details on if the bullet that impacted him hit the intended point of aim.

Let's wait and see...

Good title though....I was stationed in San Diego for a couple tours....I called California the "CEREAL STATE.......land of Fruits, Flakes and Nuts"
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post

I am not saying the officer is guilty of anything what I was trying to point out was that if anyone other than a LEO was found at the scene of the shooting of an unarmed woman and a 8 year old child, they would have been cuffed and taken to jail, had to arrange for bail, hire a "mouthpiece" etc. They wouldn't have been put on admin leave

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    I am not saying the officer is guilty of anything what I was trying to point out was that if anyone other than a LEO was found at the scene of the shooting of an unarmed woman and a 8 year old child, they would have been cuffed and taken to jail, had to arrange for bail, hire a "mouthpiece" etc. They wouldn't have been put on admin leave

oracle
    And that's the damn truth.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry