Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: All of these people driving to Walmart after Walmart......

Love the comment thus far about laziness, or doing "other hobbies"

Look some people work 70 plus hours a week and regularly travel for work, others have many hobbies that preoccupy other free time allotted in their schedule, others would just rather shell out the extra money to shoot and spend their valuable time elsewhere such as with the family, renovations, etc.

If you want to make this a valuable thread why not turn it into a pathway for people who may be intimitaded by reloading or pushed away due to cost and enlighten them and show them "Cheaper" ways decent setups etc

Instead of making it seem as if whoever doesnt reload is a fool, well thats just foolish on everyone else's part and obviously only have one train of thought in their head

(Lancaster County)

I'm game. Anyone in the Lancaster area that would let me sit in on a session, help get me started, show what I need to get up and running? Honestly, I was one of those that was afraid I'd screw something up and lose a hand firing my ammo . Not really but it would be nice to have a hands on experience to see the how and why things are done a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    A single stage press
    Dies
    Case Polisher
    Digital Scale
    Priming tool
    And of course Brass, primers, powder and bullets
    what else?

I know that my brass needs to be polished, resized, fired primers removed, new primers inserted, powder poured and weighed, and bullets inserted and set.

For a bare bones beginning set up, what am I missing?
    You also need calipers $24.

A primer turning tray $5.

And one does not need to polish the brass or send it throufh a media cleaner. I have never done this in thousands of loads and they all go bang. Polishing and cleaning brass for the most part was not performed until the 1970's. Alot of people swear you absolutely have to, but you don't. For high powered rifled reloads I will probably clean the brass however.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    You also need calipers $24.

A primer turning tray $5.

And one does not need to polish the brass or send it throufh a media cleaner. I have never done this in thousands of loads and they all go bang. Polishing and cleaning brass for the most part was not performed until the 1970's. Alot of people swear you absolutely have to, but you don't. For high powered rifled reloads I will probably clean the brass however.
    Thanks for the response, I'm making a list up.

I never thought of that concerning cleaning your brass. Makes sense!

Ultimatereloader is a great site.....they are also on youtube.

http://ultimatereloader.com/

And 1911 forums is probably the best site I have seen with reloading expertise and bringing it down to earth.

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

It's nowhere near as complicated as I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    Thanks for the response, I'm making a list up.

I never thought of that concerning cleaning your brass. Makes sense!
    Some people like to make it shiny just so that it is easier to spot in the grass. I like avoiding lead if possible. The media gets very dirty.....if one does this I would recommend regular testing of lead levels in the blood.

(Delaware County)

Some just don't want to reload. Do you make your own clothes or furniture? Why not some steps can be done in front of the tv.

Sounds kind of silly dosen't it. We all can't make every thing for ourselves. I am a good cook and know how to fix almost anything in my home.

I do not reload at this time. I do not think it will be a fun hobby. I may at some point start to reload but it will be a chore to save money not a relaxing hobby.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Some just don't want to reload. Do you make your own clothes or furniture? Why not some steps can be done in front of the tv.

Sounds kind of silly dosen't it. We all can't make every thing for ourselves. I am a good cook and know how to fix almost anything in my home.

I do not reload at this time. I do not think it will be a fun hobby. I may at some point start to reload but it will be a chore to save money not a relaxing hobby.
    I do not use thousands of pieces of clothing or furniture every year. If I did you can be sure I would try to make them myself.

Ammo is something that you place next to your face and cause to nearly-explosively burn with tremendous pressures, capable of shredding metal and flesh.

Doing your own home wiring is less dangerous. If you're confident that you know what you're doing, if you know which powder in what quantity to use, how to check brass for defects, how to size and trim and seat, how to handle primers without making unexpected banging sounds...then sure, you could save some money. Otherwise, you could blind yourself or a friend, or destroy your $1000 gun because you didn't want to pay 40 cents per cartridge.

Same with half-assed home wiring that burns down your house.

Over the last decade or so, the difference in cost of reloading vs factory ammo was not enough to warrant the investment in equipment and in time to learn and time to reload. It sure wasn't 2-3 times the cost to buy new factory ammo, after factoring in the initial investment in a press and a scale and assorted small tools, powder, primers, bullets, etc.

Some people bake pies, others buy them. Modern factories can sell you a pie for less than it would cost you in materials to bake one, even assuming that your time is worthless.

Finally, I know people that find lawn maintenance to be relaxing. For others, it's just a chore that has to be done. Reloading is like that, some enjoy the process, for others it's just a chore.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    I do not use thousands of pieces of clothing or furniture every year. If I did you can be sure I would try to make them myself.
    One cartridge costs many times less than a dinning room table. So I think the cost thing kind of evens out after a while.

I gave legitimate reasons why someone dosen't reload. You seem to believe that your opinion correct and every dissenting opinion is wrong.

Not every one uses 1000's or rounds of ammo every year. You do what you do and others will do what they do. I just find it condesending the way you word your posts.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast