Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Pat Toomey's Response to Email

I am assuming this is an automated response but here it be

January 4, 2013
    Dear ********,

Thank you for contacting me about the killings in Newtown, CT. I appreciate hearing from you.

Like all Americans, I was horrified and sickened to learn about the mass murder in Newtown, CT on December 14, 2012. As you know, Adam Lanza murdered 26 people that day, including educators and young children at Sandy Hook Elementary School and his mother at her house, before committing suicide. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the families who were affected.

In response, we need to come together as a nation, carefully reflect on what happened, and have a thoughtful dialogue on how we can improve public safety and protect our children. Of note, this atrocity in Newtown was the direct result of serious mental illness - something we have consistently observed in other mass killings over the years. We therefore need to better protect ourselves from mentally ill individuals who seek to carry out such atrocities. We also need to review and improve how we take care of the mentally ill. I therefore value your input on this issue and look forward to Congress debating which policies should be implemented to improve public safety.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
    U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Pat Toomey's Response to Email

Hopefully Toomey stays on our side. I'm more worried about Casey.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Venango County)

I received the same email today. Seems like he is dodging the question and saying a whole bunch of nothing.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    I received the same email today. Seems like he is dodging the question and saying a whole bunch of nothing.
    Same here. I specifically asked him what his stance on the 2nd Amendment was and what he would do to support our free exercise of it. His reply didn't even address my main concern. My congressman is Lou Barletta, and I received his reply immediatly after I contacted him (my original correspondence with Pat Toomey was on December 21).

Thank you for informing me of your support for Second Amendment rights. Your thoughts on this important matter are most welcome and appreciated.

As a strong advocate for the protection of the Second Amendment, I agree with you.

As you know, the Second Amendment to the Constitution states that "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Our Founding Fathers preserved the right to bear arms in the Second Amendment for purposes of self-defense and as a safeguard against tyranny.

On November 16, 2011, with my support, the House passed H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, by a vote of 272-154. If enacted, this legislation would enable valid concealed weapon permit holders to travel with a concealed weapon outside their home states. I am a cosponsor of this legislation. Presently, H.R. 822 awaits action in the U.S. Senate.

Additionally, I am a cosponsor of the following bills that seek to uphold Second Amendment rights:

·Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) Reform and Firearms Modernization Act (H.R. 1093) would roll back unnecessary restrictions, correct errors, and codify longstanding congressional policies in the firearms arena.
    ·Collectible Firearms Protection Act (H.R. 615) would allow certain firearms listed as curios or relics to be imported into the U.S. without the approval of the Department of State or the Department of Defense.
    ·Firearms Interstate Commerce Reform Act (H.R. 58) would remove several antiquated and unnecessary restrictions imposed on interstate firearms business since 1968.
    ·Second Amendment Enforcement Act (H.R. 645) would eliminate harsh gun control laws imposed by the District of Columbia after the 2008 Supreme Court's decision in D.C. v Heller.
    ·Veterans' Heritage Firearms Act (H.R. 420) would provide a 90-day amnesty period during which veterans and their family members could register firearms acquired overseas between June 26, 1934 and October 31, 1968, without fear of prosecution.
    ·Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act (H.R. 2900) would grant concealed-carry reciprocity to residents of states (like Vermont) that do not issue actual concealed-carry permit cards.

Rest assured, as a gun owner and a member of the NRA, I will continue to preserve our Second Amendment rights. Should you have additional comments or questions on this, or any other issue, please contact me at my Washington, D.C., Hazleton, Taylor, or Wilkes-Barre office.

Very truly yours,

Lou Barletta
    Member of Congress

(Bucks County)

I received the same automated response. Completely side stepping my questions on his support for the second amendment.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I received the same email from Rep. Barletta. I hope he does not waiver on this issue like he did on the cliff issue. I could be wrong, but I interpret Toomey's response as putting the focus where it should be: on mental illness issues and has he put it, "We therefore need to better protect ourselves from mentally ill individuals who seek to carry out such atrocities."
    ...and they have a plan...

(Beaver County)

I received the same cookie cutter from Toomey as well. Seems like he is just sending that message to everyone in hopes of appeasement. I plan on staying diligent and hounding him as well as Casey, and my local reps, Vogel and Christiana. i'm not one to sit by idly and watch my rights be stripped away.

(Beaver County)

Got me one of them special one of a kind just like everyone else got responses too. Never addressed what I wrote.

(Venango County)

My response to the email:

Thank you for your response to my email. However it doesn’t actually say anything, or address any of my concerns, and quite frankly I find your response insulting. I never ounce mentioned anything about sandy hook, or your stance on mental health treatment. But it is good to know that you are “horrified and sickened” by the events in new town, and that you believe “We also need to review and improve how we take care of the mentally ill”. That is all wonderful, and great (rainbows, butterflies, and kittens).

You are my representative, and I believe that I deserve a truthful and direct answer. Do you support new firearms control, are you against new firearms control, or maybe you aren’t sure yet? I can respect any direct and truthful answer. But your bullshit answer aimed at not offending anyone, will not do!! The response you have given to me and many others says nothing!! Please Sir as your constituents, we deserve to know where you stand!!

I look forward to your timely response!!!!

Thank you

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    My response to the email:
    I may do something like that, along with a message about the separate magazine ban.

When I saw the response from Toomey, I hopped on over here to see if everyone else got the same exact generic response. So, yeah. It's a bit disappointing when the guy you voted for, essentially ignores you. I didn't expect a personal message, addressing each point of my letter, but the reply really isn't saying anything at all.

Haven't heard diddly from anyone else. Pretty much don't expect to hear anything from Casey, and if I do, I don't expect that I'll like it much.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast