Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Share Deals on Guns Ammo Accessories Here

Quote Originally Posted by erichard View Post
    I'm not an expert in anything body armor, but buyers should be on the lookout for "in conjunction" ratings for the armor plates. Some only attain their advertised rating when you do add a steel plate or soft body armor ...in conjunction... with the main plate. I think it's loosely known as in conjunction armor, but I'm no soldier.
    You make a good point.
    The AR500 is generally sold as a stand alone plate, but this is my first buy with them, so I don't know one way or the other.
    Nothing jumped out at me in the reading, but I could have glazed over and missed it.
    Maybe one of the other guys who has more experience with them can chime in and let us know.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    You make a good point.
    The AR500 is generally sold as a stand alone plate, but this is my first buy with them, so I don't know one way or the other.
    Nothing jumped out at me in the reading, but I could have glazed over and missed it.
    Maybe one of the other guys who has more experience with them can chime in and let us know.
    I hadn't heard of it till I watched a couple youtube videos by real "operators" on armor and plate carrier setups. My comment is directed at everyone considering it, not so much your particular purchase. Could be yours is not an "in conjunction" rating.

(Montgomery County)

I always use level IV plates, and I get the built up coating to reduce spall.
    It is possible that if someone was getting the level III plate that an in conjunction system would be more important.
    My usual rig is a full Kevlar vest with a level IV plate on top of it, which defaults to an in conjunction system.
    I usually get my rig that way so I have the option to pull the plates, and to get the extra coverage wrap of the Kevlar.
    This is the first time I got a plate system with no larger Kevlar wrap underneath with extended coverage.
    If I get the 10"x12" Kevlar under the level IV plate, I will get some extra stopping power if the plate fails, but I won't get any wrapped coverage beyond the 10"x12" plate size.
    Instead I ordered the level IV plates and also the side plates to make up for the lack of extended Kevlar wrap that I usually have with my rigs.
    This rig is less than half the cost of my usual armor, so I figured I would try it.
    I guess time will tell if it was a good idea or a waste of cash.

(Allegheny County)

Why does black Friday have to be so close to Christmas, when I never have any money.......

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    You make a good point.
    I did some more reading, here it is.
    https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-faq
    "AR500 Armor® Body Armor does not need to be used in conjunction with other panels or armor to be effective for its rating. It is designed as a Stand-Alone solution."

Berncly:

I'm not an operator operating operationally, and I'm looking to get something "just in case" it gets banned and the free shit army nearby gets frisky.
    See the bolded parts for

Ok, I'll go down the buying list and ask questions.
    I'll pick black as the color (tactical as fuck!)
    it auto adds pistol and rifle pouches, and handgun pouch. I need to know if that pouch is reversable, as i'm a lefty.
    cummerbund kit? don't think I need that.
    no kangaroo pouch.
    no plate pocket insert
    no padded side plate options I guess. (+$28.32 if I do.)
    what does armor orientation mean? I'm going to assume I want left handed, since I shoot lefty, including rifles.
    Level III armor, as i'm not engaging bad guys in Somalia.
    Multi-curve Build up coat - LH, since it should fit the nicest and it'll prevent me picking shrapnel out of my chin.
    Trauma pads?
    Level IIIA Rimelig?
    no Side plates (+$41.99 if I do.)

so i'm at $197.10 currently.
    Last edited by sota; November 26th, 2017 at 05:17 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I have no armor at all and really want to get some but I always get stuck in "paralysis by analysis". Do I want level 3,3A, 4, trauma pad yada yada.
    This cut, that cut and all other options. I eventually get myself so damned confused I wind up with nothing

https://www.harborfreight.com/see_new_products.html

Apache weatherproof cases. Two if 'em are big enough for guns.

http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/.5...METAL+AMMO+CAN

also $10 .50cal ammo cans.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Berncly:

I'm not an operator operating operationally, and I'm looking to get something "just in case" it gets banned and the free shit army nearby gets frisky.
    See the bolded parts for

Ok, I'll go down the buying list and ask questions.
    I'll pick black as the color (tactical as fuck!)
    it auto adds pistol and rifle pouches, and handgun pouch. I need to know if that pouch is reversable, as i'm a lefty.
    cummerbund kit? don't think I need that.
    no kangaroo pouch.
    no plate pocket insert
    no padded side plate options I guess. (+$28.32 if I do.)
    what does armor orientation mean? I'm going to assume I want left handed, since I shoot lefty, including rifles.
    Level III armor, as i'm not engaging bad guys in Somalia.
    Multi-curve Build up coat - LH, since it should fit the nicest and it'll prevent me picking shrapnel out of my chin.
    Trauma pads?
    Level IIIA Rimelig?
    no Site plates (+$41.99 if I do.)

so i'm at $197.10 currently.
    I am not an operator either, I'm just a dude, a dude talking to other dudes about dude things.
    Going down your bold(ed?) question list.

I need to know if that pouch is reversable, as i'm a lefty.
    I don't know, but it looks reversible to me based on the design.

What does armor orientation mean? I'm going to assume I want left handed, since I shoot lefty, including rifles.
    Yes, they want to know if you're right or left handed because the shoulder is molded for better rifle butt seating.

Trauma pads?
    Up to you, I generally recommend them, but they are not needed for plate effectiveness. Getting shot hurts, it's nice to have a buffer, may save you a broken rib or organ impact trauma.

Level IIIA Rimelig?

The Rimelig is their Level IIIA Kevlar 10"x12" soft panel. Not needed for Level III steel plates. As I understand it, it is to give you the option of going with soft pistol rated armor if preferred. I sent an email to their customer service to confirm this. I can update when I get an answer.

- Fini -

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    I have no armor at all and really want to get some but I always get stuck in "paralysis by analysis". Do I want level 3,3A, 4, trauma pad yada yada.
    This cut, that cut and all other options. I eventually get myself so damned confused I wind up with nothing
    :werd:

I'm thinking level 3 is more than enough for us cake eaters. 3A is probably enough as well, but prices for 3 seem to be about the same-ish.

Page 1178 of 2598 FirstFirst ... 17867810781128116811741175117611771178117911801181118211881228127816782178 ... LastLast